“Small, friendly crew - and they saved a shark!”

Reef Pirates Diving
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Reef Pirates offers daily Oahu scuba diving trips and professional PADI scuba certifications. We operate our own dive boat and limit it to 6 divers plus crew for a more personalized, less crowded dive experience. We have an excellent safety record, and offer complimentary Waikiki hotel transportation with all our dive charters and scuba certification courses. We also offer private charters and multi day packages, as well as the latest equipment from Atomic and Cressi. Want to try scuba diving and not certified? We offer Discover Scuba Diving. Try diving in a safe, secure, and friendly way.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
San Francisco, California
“Small, friendly crew - and they saved a shark!”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I was in town for a wedding (surprise) and had two mornings for diving.

Since I have some, but not a ton of dives, under my belt, I thought I'd see if I could get nitrox certification while I was out. Emailed Sean, who was responsive (unlike another dive shop I'd tried to contact), and got on the schedule. Easy and simple.

With my e-learning out of the way, I flew in, and the next morning, Krystal showed up right on time to drive me out from Waikiki. We picked up a couple of their club divers, also in Waikiki, and off we went. I really liked how they have a bit of community going on with the dive club (local folks can pay an annual fee and dive for a discounted rate). Made me feel much more like I was just going for a dive with some cool folks, as opposed to following the herd of tourists.

It's a pretty good sign that one of their club divers is actually a visitor - he only comes out a couple times a year, but he likes it so much, it's worth it for him to join.

On to the dives.
Day 1 was the Corsair, which was plenty cool (plane underwater!). Got the nitrox done with this one, which went without a hitch.
Day 2, we dove some sunken barges, wherein we had a little more adventure.

From the very top, Krystal called it - "We got sharks!"
Descending, we did have two white tipped reef sharks, lurking underneath the barge, swimming to and fro. A third one was resting on the ocean floor, next to the barge. As we got closer, it stayed motionless (sleeping?) but it became apparent from it's shredded left gill, and the fishing line tangled behind it, that it was pretty well stuck.

After some hand signalling revealed that no one had a knife/scissors/pliers, someone went back to the boat (from 100 ft under) to grab some. Somehow, Krystal managed to not spook the shark while she snipped the line further up. It took the poor guy a few seconds to realize he was free, but once he did, he gracefully straightened out, and slowly moseyed off into the blue. One of the more beautiful things I've seen, ever.

Sure, we saw turtles, eels, etc. But how many times can you say your dive crew saved a shark?

(Note: Since they are small, lend a hand with loading/unloading gear! Not required, but I'm sure it's appreciated.)

Visited September 2012
ReefPirates, Instructor at Reef Pirates Diving, responded to this review, June 7, 2016
Aloha -

Thank you for your review. We take great care with our wild animals and rescuing animals from fishing line is a very delicate operation. We will assist the animal if we can do so safely (for both the divers and animal) and when we cannot, we will inform the proper authorities so they can send someone out to assist the animal.

We hope you will come diving with us again the next time you are on Oahu.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Personalized diving with a great crew”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Reef Pirates is unique by only taking a maximum of 6 divers out at a time. I felt much more comfortable after diving in a small group. The crew is very friendly and helpful. I feel very confident that they could handle any emergency underwater. The dive sites they visit are great! I spent and entire week diving with them and I visited over 10 different sites. You will see many turtles, eagle rays, eels, octopus and if you are lucky, seals and dolphin. My favorite by far is the Corsair WWII aircraft wreck at 105 feet. If you are a local, this dive shop is the best to go to to avoid big crowds of inexperienced divers. If you are visiting, it is a great way to start out your day with a morning dive and have the rest of the day to enjoy the island.

1 Thank Paula R
Aloha Paula,

Thank you for your review of Reef Pirates Hawaii. We only take 6 guests out at a time to increase safety and customer service.

We hope you will come diving with us again the next time you are in Waikiki.

Irvine, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrific Crew, Professional, Great Diving and Snorkeling”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We were a family of five - my 16 yr. old who is a certified rescue diver and 4 snorkelers aged 9, 18, 47 and 49 . Reef Pirates accommodated us so that we could be together. No other boat operator would take on both divers and snorkelers. Immediately we were impressed by the high regard for safety and the environment. It was important to us that our scuba diving son be with a Dive Master and Will was terrific. My son commented on how knowledgeable Will was about the various fish, turtles, rays, eels and other marine life that they came across. Chase was the pilot and remained on board checking for boats that may be venturing near our party, helping my 9 yr. old on and off the boat and generally just making sure we were safe. These two guys were professional, knowledgeable and really made sure we saw as much as we could. We have been on big tour operations for snorkeling and must say we will never go back to that type of operation. Can't imagine what a large tour scuba dive must be like but I am sure my son wasn't missing anything. If you want personalized service, a fun and safe diving experience using equipment that is in great condition, contact Reef Pirates.

Aloha Deb,

thank you for your review. We are so glad we could accommodate your family and that you had a great time. We hops you will come diving and snorkeling again with us the next time you are on Oahu.

mahalo - the Reef Pirates Ohana
Mildura, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“Aussie in the Water”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

My original holiday plans were to complete 2 days diving. Prior to leaving Oahu I had completed 4 days covering a variety of sites. Sean and his crew are professionals and provide great service on a comfortable dive boat. I would recommend Reef Pirates Diving to anybody who enjoys the water.

Visited August 2012
Aloha Andrew,

thank you for your fantastic review. We are so glad you enjoyed your dives and hope you will dive with us again the next time you are in Waikiki.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent, highly personalized operation.”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

My wife and I traveled to O'ahu for a wedding and decided to make a dive trip out of it. We did 10 dives over the course of 3 days with Reef Pirates. What a fun experience! We are both PADI advanced divers who have been to enough dive destinations to know what we want in a dive operation. The crew is very professional, fun, knowledgeable and personable. Their charters don't take more than 6 divers. This speaks for itself. If you are used to "cattle car" diving (which most of the other operations on O'ahu are), you NEED to try a small operation. Safety is paramount at Reef Pirates, which is very important to us. We have our own gear, so didn't get to use the rental gear, but it looked like it was very good, well maintained gear. My wife had a problem with the transmitter on her computer, and Zac saved the dive by switching the transmitter out with an analog SPG. The next day, Krystal showed us a technique to re-sync the transmitter on my wife's computer. Also, the diver masters are very environmentally conscious. I cant stand operations who provide a bad example to countless new divers by harassing wildlife and disturbing the environment. As far as O'ahu diving goes, we were extremely pleased. Among numerous other critters, we saw white tip reef sharks, spotted eagle rays, tons of turtles, octopi and eels. The wrecks are very cool as well. Bottom line, this operation seems more interested in creating an awesome, safe and personal diving experience than becoming the biggest and most crowded dive operation on the island. Give them a call, you will be very pleased that you did.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Jacob B B
ReefPirates, Instructor at Reef Pirates Diving, responded to this review, June 5, 2016
Aloha Jacob -

We greatly appreciate your review of Reef Pirates. We don't aim to be the biggest operation in Hawaii, simply the best. Y/our review will help others decide which dive shop to use on their vacation to Honolulu.

Please come dive with us again -

Mahalo nui loa - the Reef Pirates Ohana