“Wonderful stay, exceeded our expectations!”

Trump International Hotel Waikiki
Ranked #3 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Bellevue, Washington
“Wonderful stay, exceeded our expectations!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

This was our first family trip to Oahu. We've previously gone to Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island. We thought that this urban retreat might be a fun change.

Having selected this hotel from TripAdvisor reviewers like you set our expectations pretty high. Everything we read about his place is pretty accurate so I won't repeat it. Let me tell you about some of the things that really set this place apart from the competition and some things we didn't expect. From the second you arrive you are greeted at the driveway with a warm welcome with a sense of urgency and high energy. Upstairs on the 5th floor lobby, the check in is serene and calm but highly efficient. Things I loved: the big room and bathroom, the quietness, the frequent housekeeping, great security, free wifi and tasteful décor. Not to mention the huge fluffy towels and large bottles of shampoo and large bars of soap. The refrigerator had a super cold freezer so we could buy our favorite ice cream treats at the ABC store down the street and bring it back. All the bottled water you needed at no charge. Loved the way the phone was answered before the first ring finished and how I never waited in line for service. Anytime you entered a public space with a puzzled look on your face, someone was there asking if you needed help. The beach bags were great. Some folks complain about the lack of a large outdoor pool. Well, for us not having the big resort pool meant not having to deal with tons of folks fighting over some lounge chairs with towels with lots of kids running noisily around. The long infinity pool is really beautiful and peaceful, lots of roomy comfy loungers and our two daughters loved it. Easy walk to the beach and we did it often. Thought the breakfast buffet at In-Yo was pricey at $33 for adults ($25 if you pre buy it) and $16 for kids ($13 if you pre buy it) but after the first time, it was so nice we went back again. Beautiful layout of freshness and lots of selection. Check out my pictures.

Things that might have been a bit disappointing: the sofa pull out bed wasn't that comfortable, you could feel the springs. For kids it's fine if they are light because the springs wouldn't be felt through the bedding and mattress but it might be uncomfortable for an adult. Drawers are a bit small but lots of closet space. could use some more towel racks or hooks in the bathroom.

But it was the hundreds of other details that we appreciated and voted the best Hawaiian experience by our entire family. We'll most likely return here next year.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Karasdad
Alyssa H, Public Relations Manager at Trump International Hotel Waikiki, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Aloha Karasdad. Thank you for the detailed review of your recent stay with us. We are absolutely delighted to learn that we were able to make your family's vacation to Oahu the best Hawaiian experience ever, and we are very appreciative that you took the time to share the special details that made your time with us so wonderful. We are happy that you enjoyed your room, the amenities, In-Yo Cafe's breakfast buffet, and the Infinity Pool. It is also great to hear that our staff provided you with outstanding customer service. We look forward to welcoming your family back to the hotel next year. Mahalo!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (528)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Saskatoon, SK Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

The constant with Trump hotels is the superior service, cleanliness and quality facilities. However the Trump Waikiki was slightly less satisfying than the Las Vegas hotel. Not the same quality facility or rooms. The rooms are smaller and not quite the same level in comparison. Not to say that the Waikiki location was not a great hotel.....just that is does not bring the same level of facility luxury that the Vegas hotel provides. The services are definitely the same quality with very high standards. Trump is definitely the higher end hotel in Waikiki.

• Stayed February 2014
5 Thank Laen27
Alyssa H, Public Relations Manager at Trump International Hotel Waikiki, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Aloha Laen27. Thank you for the 5 out of 5 rating and for sharing your comments about your recent stay with us. We are sorry to hear you thought we were slightly inferior to Las Vegas, but we are very happy to learn that our service, cleanliness, and quality met your high standards and that you consider us to be a great hotel. We appreciate your feedback and hope that we have the pleasure of serving you again in the future.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

This particular review is a bit lengthy and detailed, so here’s the condensed review: If you’re thinking about booking a room at the Trump Waikiki, do it. The Trump has everything you need for a Hawaiian vacation and more. I’d bet my Tripadvisor reviewer reputation that you’ll be as happy as we were.

I travel throughout the year and have the opportunity to stay in 1-2 hotels a week, at the minimum. I’ve stayed at everything from Best Western to Four Seasons and look very much forward to sharing my balanced review of the Trump Waikiki. They say you can’t be all things to all people, but somehow the Trump managed to pull this off.

For travelling families:
My wife and I have a 3-month old and this was his first vacation. We were looking for a place we wouldn’t be nickeled-and-dimed and would be family friendly. Ivanka Trump did a fantastic job creating a Trump kids program that provides everything for the travelling family. Oh, did I mention it’s all complimentary as well? I’m talking about a solid wooden crib, bottle sterilizers, baby shampoo, diaper pail, diapers, etc. If you look around your baby nursery or kid’s room, I’m sure they have it available at the Trump if you forgot it.

For couples without kids:
The rooms are huge and very private. We stayed on the 20th floor with an amazing ocean view. We didn’t hear ANY of our neighbors, but always managed to see them in the hallway. This told me the hotel was built solid.

For single folks:
One of the best aspects about this hotel is the appeal to the vibrant nightlife. They have several events throughout the month from Happy Hours, to black tie parties, making it easy to meet people. Even with a kid, we met so many people as we lounged at the pool or any of the restaurants in the hotel. The nightlife is vibrant and it’s super-close to other hotels/restaurants if you want to keep the party going.

The rooms:
We stayed in two different rooms during our 9 night stay. The first room was on the 12th floor and faced the Embassy suites hotel. The room was amazing and I’ve never felt so good laying down and sleeping in a bed before, as I did in that room. Even with a crib and all our baby stuff, the room had ample space. Each room in the hotel has a kitchen (galley style) which has everything you need to cook. As a former chef in my past life, the kitchen was stocked with all the kitchen utensils to cook a five-star meal. The bathrooms were huge and pretty much all marble. Each bathroom has two (jack-and-jill) sinks, a large soaking tub and a strange but appealing Japanese-style shower. I simply asked if another room with a better view bight be available and the front desk totally took care of us, moving us to the 20th floor with an amazing view of the ocean….AND THE FIREWORKS AT HILTON HAWAIIAN VILLAGE.
If you stay at the Trump, be sure to ask for a room above the 9th floor, facing the Hilton side, so you can sit on your lanai (balcony) and watch the fireworks show.

Housekeeping:
The folks will bring you everything you need from extra bottled-water to coffee creamers. I always made sure to give them a few dollars as we called them 2-3 a day for extra stuff. They were fast, friendly and provided flawless service.

The pool:
The pool is amazing, although it seemed small it was fantastic and we never felt crowded. Linden, the pool manager and restaurant manager was fantastic. As a manager, he made his rounds on the regular and we were always happy to talk with him. Such a positive guy with the island vibe.

The restaurants:
When you check in, you arrive at valet on the 1st floor and take an elevator to the 6th floor, which is the lobby. They have two restaurants on the 6th floor and one down on the first floor. If you want a burger that will change your life, go to BLT and order their burger. It’s $22, but totally worth it! The restaurant behind the reception desk has a decent happy hour, with lots of loungy-type seating, which was fantastic. They always managed to have the best fresh Poke (island staple) in all the hotels we’ve stayed at on the island.

Money-saving tips:
With a 3-month old, I’m always trying to find ways to save money. Overall, we didn’t really need to go anywhere to save money, as the Trump had so much that was complimentary. Valet was the only thing I thought was a little pricey. In truth, they do have the best parking/valet rates in Waikiki, but I felt okay about parking my own car and saving $33/day. While the guys down in valet do a fantastic job, you can also go across the street and park in the fort derussy parking lot for less. If you’re staying longer than 5 nights, head across the street (from valet) to the fort derussy parking lot and the lot attendant will tell you were to buy a parking pass ($160/month) to save you money. If you’re familiar with the area, the place to buy the parking pass is on the first floor of the Hale Koa parking garage. It’s a 3 –story garage across the park from the fort derussy parking lot. If you prefer to cook versus dining-out, head to the Whole Foods in Kahala to stock-up on everything you need. If you don’t have a rental car, you can go across the street from the trump (lewers street) to the ABC store to stock-up on stuff. The hotel has such an amazing location and close to everything

The beach:
While Trump isn’t officially on the beach, it’s a 2 minute walk (I mean 2 minutes literally) from valet to the sand. The Trump has it’s own spot on the beach. If you’re there, you’ll probably run into Vino. He’s a great guy and totally hooked us up with everything we needed for a fun day in the sun.

Have fun and enjoy all this place had to offer to us

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
18 Thank Audifanatic
Alyssa H, Public Relations Manager at Trump International Hotel Waikiki, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Aloha Audifanatic. We are truly honored by your thorough review of our hotel. It is our goal to anticipate our guests' needs and exceed their expectations, and we are absolutely delighted to learn that we were able to do so for you and your family. It is wonderful to hear that the baby amenities we provided helped make your stay more convenient and comfortable while traveling with your 3 month old. We are also glad you enjoyed the kitchens, marble bathrooms, bed and especially the view from your second room. Your praises of our housekeeping and valet staff mean a lot to us, and we thank you for expressing your appreciation of the hard work they do. We hope you visit us again soon!
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

Fantastic hotel. We had four nights here in room 1101, one of the cheaper rates at the back of the building. The hotel has more of an apartment atmosphere than the other out and out hotels on Waikiki, but we actually liked this.

The service is fantastic, the rooms modern and clean, the pool is a bit small but the space is well designed and a great place to spend an afternoon. The location is down one end of Waikiki, but it doesn't feel like you're away from the action, and it's a just a few steps to the beach. I love how they give you a beach pack with towels, sunscreen and fruit if you tell the concierge you're heading down to the beach.

Only quibble is that the lower rooms get some noise in the early hours of the morning from beeping reversing trucks in the hotel's loading dock and from the streets below. If you can afford to splash out on a room up higher and facing the beach, you can't go wrong with this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank freemason57
Aloha freemasons57. Thank you for staying with us and sharing your review of our hotel. It is wonderful to hear that you received fantastic service and that you enjoyed the pool and beach bags. We hope your travels bring you back to Waikiki and we see you again soon!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

My fiance and I recently returned from another trip to Oahu and we stayed part of our time in Waikiki at the Trump Hotel. I've stayed at many nice hotels in my travels and this one was as nice as any of them. The hotel, lobby, restaurants, staff, the room, the bedding were all amazing. We also ate dinner at BLT Steakhouse Waikiki which is located on the ground floor of the Trump and it was very good (I wrote a separate review for that). One small caveat to staying at the Trump is that you are not right on the beach. You are, however, a short 2 min walk down the beach path to the beach. It is still a great location but some rooms are afforded a better view than others. I would stay at this hotel again and I would recommend it to my family and friends. If you are looking for a top notch hotel in Waikiki, give the Trump International a serious look.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MNVikings2011
Aloha MNVikings2011. Wow, thank you for the great review! We are thrilled to hear that a seasoned luxury traveler like you considers our hotel to be amazing. We are so happy to learn that you enjoyed your room, the beds, and our restaurants. Thanks for recommending us to your family and friends. We hope to see all of you in Waikiki someday soon!
Grand Island, Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

The standout feature of the Trump Waikiki is the topnotch, warm service that every member of the staff exudes. The hotel is off the beaten path but that puts you away from much of the Waikiki craziness. Our room was very clean, quiet, and functionally appointed. The spa amenities are high quality and have excellent subtle fragrances. One drawback regarding the bathroom was a very narrow glass barrier that allowed scattered water to spray over the toilet and floor. Not well designed. We did not the chance to partake in any of the hotel's other amenities but it is a comfortable location

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank mingfatsai
Alyssa H, Public Relations Manager at Trump International Hotel Waikiki, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Aloha and thank you for staying with us and sharing your review. We are so pleased to hear that you received wonderful customer service and that you enjoyed the amenities and were comfortable in your room. We appreciate you pointing out the undesired spray from your shower and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused during your stay. Your feedback allows us to review the situation and work to improve it for you and other guests in the future. Thank you!
St. Albert, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

When asked in a bar in Waikiki if this was my first time here, I thought of Hawaii Five 0. I may be off by one or two either way, but this was around my fiftieth time. Which brings me to the first time at the Trump International having wanted to stay here the last couple of trips in. What can I say, from the hotels I have stayed at, the Trump simply was as advertised and exactly as I had hoped for.
We arrived early evening to be greeting with leis and quickly on our way to reception 6 floors up. The check in was swift, polished and professional. For a seven night stay and a NEW member of the Trump card, we were offered an upgrade which set the tone; originally a city without balcony reservation became a balcony and oh what a treat for seven days and nights. Just a note for budget conscious travellers; there is a $100 per day hold on your credit card for incidentals... My preference is better disclosure at time of reservation. But, at least it was disclosed at check in and naturally I expected it but something hotels have a long way to go yet what they are swiping your card for...
Back to the good stuff! Yes, the rating as having the best Mai Tai in Honolulu (or is it Hawaii) is probably on the mark. It was excellent and our first drink that night, along with fantastic appies in the lounge.
The room was excellently laid out and beautifully appointed. Although we only did toast and coffee in the morning, the kitchen was fully stocked, top name appliances and all the flatware, plates and tools you need.
Loved the bathroom and the open shower! Reminded me where I was every morning.
Ate at BLT twice and once on the pool lounge during the Super Bowl. My only dislike was the less than perfect execution for setting up a Super Bowl viewing. The bar TV was locked on closed caption so we had to see the visual translation which was annoying and I'm not sure what drink specials were available (as advertised to all the rooms on a turn down sheet the night before) but none were offered. It was OK but honestly, since we're not there with anyone, and having to work the unknown of getting into a bar, we left at halftime and watched the second half from the room over drinks and the balcony door open. I'm not sure why the TV set up could not be in the lobby lounge instead.
Departure was again excellent and efficient. No complaints from me, rather accolades and compliments.
We will both return to TRUMP on our next visit.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank David T
Alyssa H, Public Relations Manager at Trump International Hotel Waikiki, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Aloha David T. Thank you for taking the time to share you comments about your recent stay with us. We are so glad that we lived up to your expectations, especially after you have traveled to Waikiki nearly 50 times in your life!I We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your room and our restaurants and that you indulged in our World's Best Mai Tai. Thank you for bringing to our attention the experience you had with the Super Bowl viewing. Your feedback allows us to review and improve our processes and will make future experiences better for you and other guests. We appreciate your praises and look forward to your next visit to our hotel!