“Fabulous service, great location and highly recommended.”

Trump International Hotel Waikiki
Ranked #3 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Anchorage, Alaska
“Fabulous service, great location and highly recommended.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

From the moment I arrived, the service was amazing, friendly and not pretentious whatsoever. 27th floor room was huge, 2bed plus den condo and the kitchen had top notch appliances. Bathrooms were large and the tub is super deep although not long.
Great hotel

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank MrVeegas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (528)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

Our family of four spent 3 nights at the Trump Waikiki. From the moment we checked in, the service and amenities were out of this world. We had booked a 1 bedroom with den, and were upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite - which was bigger than many NYC apartments. Once we got to our room, there were individual personalized welcome notes and treats for each of our kids. The staff were always helpful and welcoming, and the beach bags provided by the concierge were so convenient. The fact that there was a washer/dryer in the suite was fantastic - we were able to wash clothes which was a huge plus. As other reviewers have noted, this is not a resort, but is a luxurious, urban hotel. Our stay here makes me want absolutely want to visit another Trump property.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank dtotravel
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

Let me say first of all that this is an incredible hotel and every single person who works there will go out of their way to make your stay wonderful. We very much enjoyed the Wai'olo Ocean View Lounge and came here for drinks and hors d'oeuvres several times during our stay. We also loved that the hotel has as part of its free services a "beach/tourist" bag for each guest every time you go somewhere, that includes cold water, fruit, beach towels, and sunscreen- it is much needed for any touring or beach visits. The rooms are incredible, we stayed in a one bedroom condo which had plenty of room to accommodate at least two couples and had two full baths, a washer/dryer, three flat screen tv's a "desk/lounge" area with a sofa bed, in addition to a full living room and fully equipped kitchen, plus balconies and seating areas off both living room and master bedroom. Also I should note that the main bedroom area has a door which separates it and one of the bathrooms plus laundry area from the rest of the condo, and that provides a lot of privacy if more than one couple is staying there. All in all the living area is one of the most beautiful I have experienced.
The hotel is located just a block from the main shopping area, and you could lose yourself there for more than a day, just experiencing all the stores and shopping. There are a ton of restaurants as well. We really love Japanese food so we went to several of the katsu restaurants very near by to the hotel. Several reviews have mentioned the eggs n things restaurant and I think you have to go there at least once just because it is a great exerience and a treat to get the pancakes and an omelette. After that, we went to Denny's which is pretty much next door, as we are low key breakfast people. Denny's is also wonderful, really nice people and great breakfast food.
I have to agree with the people who said this feels more like a business hotel given its location in Waikiki. We went to the nearby beach one time and we were pretty shocked at just how small, crowded, and overall junky it is. If you plan on going there, have a backup plan for when you decide to leave 10 minutes later. When we were there, the rocks and gritty sand in the water hurt our feet a lot, not to mention the cigarette butts and other debris floating around us. There is hardly a free patch of sand and people are right up next to each other. Plus if you want to rent an umbrella, it is very expensive. Also there are people walking around with exotic birds that you can take your picture with- I found this tacky and cruel.
We had most fun when we picked up our car rental and could drive around the island and enjoy the beaches on the other side. We made sure to go to the shrimp trucks and we managed to see the filming of an episode of Hawaii Five-0 which was pretty fabulous. You have to go to Leonard's bakery for the malasadas. We walked there but it took an hour each way so plan on driving lol. We enjoyed Mike's Huli huli chicken and a smoothie that was out of this world. There are tons of good reviews about the food so I will go back to the hotel review :-).
We found the pricing for room cleanup, hotel food, in-room movies, somewhat prohibitive. If you are not very wealthy, don't come here. As soon as we got the car we went to the grocery store and bought food. This made it possible for us to do a lot more, but still we missed being able to eat out as much as we wanted. I had been to the Kahala Hilton in Diamond Head years ago and back then I felt it was expensive. When we came here I thought "it won't be like last time, now I have money." Let me tell you, it isn't about having money, it is about the value in return for your money.
On to the last part, which is the hotel pool. My husband and I were mystified as to why a hotel that does not have any kind of reasonable beach, would put in such a tiny pool and sunbathing area. I strongly feel the hotel needs to reconsider this and do SOMETHING to make it better. The pool area is several floors up, and its location also causes it to experience severe tradewinds which make sunbathing difficult at various times of the year. A lot of people complained about children in the pool, I did not experience any problems with this. It is simply that the entire pool is about the size of two half-laps and seating is both very limited, and only on one side.
I definitely agree that coming here does not give one the feeling of a "Hawaii" experience. It is much more akin to being in Chicago and going to Oak Street Beach, as it has such a large city feel. We found that at the end of the day we had city-grit in our hair and on our faces. Of course we were there in early December and there were indeed tradewinds. I recommend to anyone visiting here, to do a lot of research before deciding to come, and make sure this is a good fit for your idea of a Hawaii vacation.
Having said all this, I must emphasize that the hotel staff are incredible, the hotel itself is incredible (not counting the pool), and if you are looking for a big-city type experience where you enjoy a lot of people traffic, high end shopping etc. then this is the place for you. While we enjoyed our stay, I would choose the Big Island next time just because that is a better fit for me and my husband.
Finally, I am giving the hotel three stars instead of four because I believe the price is too high for the value in return. I would give it four stars if the pricing were just a little bit more reasonable. This is not a place where you will feel comfortable ordering drinks and food at the pool every day unless you have money to burn.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank wdgolf
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

My family and I stayed here in November 2012 for one night after our week at the north shore. I liked how they brought refreshments to you when you checked in along with beautiful shell leis for the females/girls and kukui nut leis for the males/boys.
The hotel has a sleek, modern feel that is quite unlike many of the hotels in Waikiki. In our rooms there was a lovely stuffed seal for each of the kids along with two cake pops and an activity book and a personalized card welcoming them. They loved this! We enjoyed the Hononluly cookies and chocolates. The beds were comfortable and had very nice linens. We didn't use the kitchenette but it seemed well-equipped. We were given restaurant vouchers to use at the onsite restaurants during our stay. It made for a very reasonably priced brunch for 8 people the next morning. I thought the pool was going to be a disappointment for my kids because it isn't the big sprawling resort pool that they might have imagined however they loved that it was a few stories up and they could look down to the streets below. The other thing I really liked were the beach bags that you could get to take to the beach that included sunscreen, towel, water, and fruit. That was a lovely little perk! Since we had a late flight, they accommodated us with a room to use until about 7pm so we could leave our bags in there and freshen up after going to the beach and pool.
I would love to stay here again. Everything was very professional and there was excellent attention to detail. Well done!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank prestagecrew
Barcelona, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

We came to Waikiki from Maui and Kona and were very much in th resort style holiday mood. Trump is a moder very functional nice Hotel, but after the islands it just diodn't feel right. Hawaii to me means the beach and even one block from the beach is too far. Saying that the Hiotel is great in every other respect. The rooms are clean, functional and whilst small, well furnished. Breakfast could be improved, but every room has a kichenette, so after the first morning we had breakfast in our room, buying fruits and cereals in shops downstarirs. The service was ok, and staff was good and friendly. The onsite restaurant BLT is great.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Peter H
Miami
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

I'm a regular traveler to Hawaii and have stayed at all of the nicer properties in Honolulu. This property is definitely nice, and it's more modern than most. The service was very good, as was most everything. My only issue is that it just did not feel like Hawaii. It felt like a business hotel, as opposed to a resort...which this place is NOT. As long as you're ok with that, you'll love this place.

Room Tip: Ocean view on a high floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank MiamiBeachPaul
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Trump International Hotel in Honolulu has to be one of the best and most intimate hotels I have stayed in. We stayed in the Deluxe Partial Seaview room for 7 nights from 6 February 2013. The kitchenette was fully equipped. On arrival and departure we received a box of Hawaiin Biscuits from the Honolulu Cookie Company (a must to buy and bring home!) and Trump chocolates. The bedding was comfortable. You have an extensive pillow menu to choose from.The service was, by far, the highlight of our trip. Staff were personal, genuinely helpful, and very polite.

The hotel itself is only across the road from the beach. You cross the lights and it's less than a few walking steps and you hit Waikiki Beach. It was very refreshing to be just that little bit further away from the crowds. Everytime I headed to the beach, conceirge would supply a large Trump bag with fresh fruit, water, sunscreen and how many towels you asked for.

The Trump is within walking distance to all the great shops and restaurants. I will be staying here again on my next trip. Just a heads up - the pool area is rather crowded - but when you're on an island who wants to be at the pool when the world's most popular beach is just across the road!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends