The decision was between HaleKulani and Trump and I went for Trump despite advices from Tripadvisor. I couldn't have made a better decision for my family. I am a very selective traveler when it comes to nice hotel, good location, exceptional service, superior comfort and cleanliness for my 2 young children and my reviews reflect these points.
THE LOCATION: Across the street (Kalia) from the beach (2-3 minute safe crossing/pleasant view walking). Anchor at the quiet end of Beach Walk with restaurants and stores behind it. Within walking distance (1mile) to over 250 restaurants. Great ocean view from 20th floor up, better/non obstructed view in corner rooms (Saratoga and Kalia). Starbucks is across Kalia street at the front entrance of Outrigger hotel. The nearest 2 ABC stores are around the corners (turn left on Kalia/then left on Beach walk and 200 ft down the street on the right is the smaller ABC; turn left on Kalia, then left on Lewers, 200 ft down the street is the bigger ABC). Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center, International Market, all the shops are within walking distance.
THE BUILDING: 37 floors and penthouse modern looking building. The ground level is beautiful. Valet/Bell service and Concierge are on this level. The lobby/check in area is on the 6th floor. The open concept lobby has a wonderful and airy view outside. Key card is needed every time you go up to your floor. Many people think that this building looks like a condo/apartment building and doesn’t have the look and feel of Hawaii. It is personal taste. I personally loved the building and its grand entrance and modern look. In no way that Trump building is compatible to Aston Waikiki Beach Tower or Outrigger Regency on Beach Walk. It is far more superior, in my opinion.
THE ROOM: We got upgraded from premium 1 bedroom/1 den ocean view (1120 sft) to premium 2 bedroom/1den/2 bath corner room (1625 sft) with beautiful view from each and every floor to ceiling window. The furniture was simple, modern and clean. It was fully furnished with sub-zero refrigerator/freezer, microwave, oven, stove top, wine cooler and EVERYTHING you need to prepare, cook, serve and eat. Our room had a dining area with table and chairs; a stack up washer/dryer, 4 TVs and a DVD player. The beds could be hit and miss. One of the beds was firm and the other was soft but overall was comfortable enough for a good night sleep. The bathroom has almost everything you need: exclusive Trump bath products (to include spa products such as salt, body butter…), mouthwash, Q-tips, nail files, dental kit (and shaving kit per request), scale. The towels were soft, plush and of good quality. The whole room was acceptably clean (slightly below my cleanliness standard but I am a freak). From the balcony, we could relax and inhale the breath taking view and ocean breeze. Overall, it was exceptionally comfortable for our family. My kids actually called it “home”, the first of many of our destinations.
THE HOTEL ANENITIES: 3 restaurants and 24/7 room service, a Spa (small but adequate), an infinity pool (small, not a good choice for kids), a gym with refreshment and towels available, a library (with books, computer and printer), kids DVDs are available for check out and FREE WIFI in every room and all over the hotel.
THE SERVICE: This is the highlight of Trump’s. We couldn’t have appreciated the Attache’ service more. They bought groceries and ALL the items we need (from 3 different stores) and have them arranged in the room prior to our arrival. Everyone seem genuinely pleasant from speaking on the phone to responding to email. We were greeted with shell lei upon arrival then escorted to the lobby for checking in. In the mean time, we were handed cold towels and lei (or jasmine) infused water. These are particularly welcome after a long trip. Our luggage was delivered to the room within a few minutes. Via Attache’s they knew my kids’ names and the special occasion we were here to celebrate. Within 20 minutes of us arriving to our room, they brought welcoming snacks (Honolulu company cookie box and chocolate covered strawberries). The kids got their own welcoming cards with their names on it and each got their own cake pops. Stuffed animals, color books and crayons were left on each of their beds. The Attache’ manager called to welcome us. Housekeeping service was another strong point. I observed that they have enough employees to provide timely housekeeping and turn down service twice daily. We are back to a clean and well made room everyday. They meticulously left a bottle of water on each night stand. Their attention to details was impaccable. All requests were promptly handled. The housekeeping staffs are extremely nice, polite and helpful. Another highlight of Trump service/amenity was the beach bags that were available for your trip to the beach. Each bag came with sun blocks, water bottle, small apple and orange and a towel. Just stop by the concierge desk to pick it up and return the bag on your way back. The day before our departure, the Attache’ manager called to check on our stay, scheduled luggage pick up and wake up call. To me, the service at this hotel was amazing, friendly, helpful and non-pretentious. We were pampered and spoiled.
THE FOOD: We only ate breakfast at In Yo café a few times and had room service once at Trump’s. The full breakfast buffet (cost $32) consist of pastries, smoked salmon, Chinese cha siu (Chinese BBQ) steam buns, scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, miso soup, waffle, potato, steamed vegetable, salad, Japanese cold noodle, rice porridge (a Chinese rice soup with all the toppings such as egg, green onion, ginger, fried cake on the side), many types of freshfruits, cheese, homemade strawberry yogurt, cereal, juices and coffee. Also, eggs (all styles such as omelets…), oatmeal, smoothies are included in the buffet but only available on request. Overall, food is decent and focuses on quality vs. quantity. The service at the restaurant was average. Servers weren’t all over you or were overly chatty. They gave us rooms for eating and refill/remove dishes as needed. Room service was on time and the food was decent. The price was high for the room service menu but was totally expected for a 5* hotel.
OVERALL: Trump is truly a five star property paired with five star service. It is not a Grand Dame of Waikiki like HaleKulani or Royal Hawaiian. It is not a resort type (but if you are looking for a resort type for kids, no place better to stay at than Hilton Hawaiian Village). It is a new kid on the block (a few year old) that is not only classy and elegant but hip and modern. It is a great choice for couple but a better choice for family. We would cross that street to go to the beach over staying at one of the properties on the beach and cramping into a tiny hotel room. Before going to Hawaii, we were wondering if we’ve made the right decision staying at Trump. After leaving Hawaii, we were wondering if we would stay at any other hotels beside Trump. The answer is no.
1. Request corner room on higher floor for better ocean view
2. Communicate to Attache’ service of your needs/requests. They are extremely helpful
3. The beach across the street is a bit rocky at the bottom, wear beach/water shoes instead of barefoot
4. Lower price breakfast buffet would be across the street at Outrigger Reef Hotel-Shore Bird restaurant ($14) but poorer quality (see my separate review). They also have lunch buffet ($14) and a la cart; Happy hour dinner or a la cart dinner at more reasonable price. Or, walk about 200 ft on Saratoga to Eggs and Things. I personally like breakfast buffet at House Without a Key better (across the street in Halekulani hotel)
5. Good lunch/dinner spots around Trump’s: Arancino Beach walk (200ft walk after turning left on Beach Walk from Kalia)-Great Italian food. La Mer (in
Halekulani)-Good French food, not good for kids. Ramen Nakamura (left on Beachwalk and go about 300 ft. Turn left on Kalakaua and it is on your left)-Very good Ramen, kids are welcome. Have kid and looking for American food? Try The Yard House restaurant around the corner on Lewers or Cheesecake Factory (from Lewers, turn right on Kalakaua and go another 300ft)
6. There is a Luau at Hale Koa hotel across the street on the beach that is much smaller, family friendly, great show and decent foods. Don’t have to travel on the
Bus to the much bigger Luau outside Waikiki. Make reservation on ntheir website and select your table. You don't have to be military family to go to this Luau
7. Download the Aloha 2 Go app to your smart phone and order from tons of restaurants in Waikiki area for delivery. The service fee is reasonable (half price at
$4.99 for ordering between 2-4pm). You can view the menu and price and it is FAR MORE less expensive than the restaurants around.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Trump International Hotel Waikiki has been rated the #1 TripAdvisor Waikiki hotel since October 2010 and is the first and only Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star Hotel on the island of Oahu. As part of the Waikiki Beach Walk development offering vibrant entertainment, exclusive boutiques and world-class restaurants, it is one of the premier luxury hotels in Waikiki, Hawaii. Add the simple fact that Waikiki's famous white sand beaches are just steps away, it becomes the perfect respite for your next Hawaiian getaway. Trump Waikiki offers all of the exceptional amenities and superior services of the Trump Hotels to help guests live the life Hawaiian style. A 6th-floor infinity pool with an expansive lanai deck, world-class indoor and al fresco dining, The Spa at Trump® and signature services of Trump Attache - only the best will do at our luxury hotel. This is paradise, after all. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Trump International Hotel Waikiki reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Trump International Hotel Waikiki Hawaii/Honolulu