“Stay here - you will not regret it!”

Trump International Hotel Waikiki
Ranked #4 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
jt0813
“Stay here - you will not regret it!”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We stayed at the Trump Waikiki last week and had an amazing experience. There were two couples traveling and we each had deluxe partial ocean view rooms on the 20th floor. None of us have a bad thing to say about this hotel.

The room is spacious with a very comfortable king bed, sitting area, desk and flat-screen TV. The bathroom is large with a very nice open shower (with very good pressure), nice soaker bath tub and double sinks. The kitchen has a toaster, microwave, stove top, coffee maker and refrigerator. We found this to be particularly useful on mornings we wanted to stay in and enjoy breakfast on our lanai.

I was skeptical about "partial ocean view" but was blown away when we opened the curtains and lanai doors and saw the stunning view of the ocean. We could lie in bed and stare outside and see the waves rippling in the ocean. Absolutely beautiful. The lanai was also very nice and provided complete privacy.

Service was impeccable. Everyone we dealt with at the hotel always greeted us with a smile on their face and was extremely helpful.

We ate breakfast at the in-hotel In Yo Cafe twice and had drinks at Wai-Olu Lounge. Both were pricey but very nice.

Everything about this hotel makes you feel like you are being pampered and living the life of luxury. We were greeted with beautiful shell lei, pineapple infused water, cold towels and cookies from the Honolulu Cookie Company in our room. I disagree with those who say this hotel lacks ambiance. The Trump feels Hawaiian without being dated. The hotel is beautiful and modern.

We spent every morning by the pool and loved it! The view from the pool is beautiful (nice place to watch the fireworks on a Friday night). Yes it isn't huge but it was more than enough for us. We loved how quiet and relaxing the pool area was compared to other hotels. We didn't have to rush in the morning to find loungers and there is ample shaded and sunny area on the pool deck to satisfy everyone.

I'm frustrated by those who complain about the hotel not being on the beach - if you do any amount of research at all before booking you would know this. The location was the best part. You are literally a crosswalk away from the beach (the Trump is right behind the Outrigger Reef) and on the other side, you are right by Lewers and Kalakaua for endless restaurant and shopping choices. We never had to walk far to get anywhere!

We have traveled to Honolulu many times and have often stayed at the Hilton Village but will be staying at the Trump from now on. If you're looking to make a decision, I highly recommend the Trump. You will not regret it!

Room Tip: We were in room 2010 and had a great view of the city, mountains and ocean.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
15 Thank jt0813

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (542)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brisbane
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Very good hotel. Yes, it is a hotel not a resort so you don't feel you are in Hawaii except on the arrival when you are greeted with lovely shell leis. The staff is excellent, the room is very spacious and quiet, the bed is really comfortable and the gym very modern and well equipped. We stayed in a partial ocean view room and the view was excellent. If you are planning to spend time in the pool this hotel is not for you. I would suggest this hotel for people on business or couple with babies.

Room Tip: Make sure you book a ocean view or partial ocean view room.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Makenote
Payson, Arizona
Reviewed May 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed four nights here. I've never encountered nicer or more helpful staff. We were in room 2018 -- a studio ocean view king which had evening turndown service. During our stay, we had the use of two plush bath robes. The towels and linens were of good quality, and the kitchen very well equipped. The one complaint we had about the room was that the closet was tiny. It had a bar with room for about six hangers. Also, the hotel is located about a block from the beach -- not directly on the beach. When we stood near the sliding glass door or out on the balcony, we could see the ocean in between the other highrises. The location is only two blocks from Kalakaua Avenue -- the main shopping street with loads of restaurants. The infinitypool is on the sixth floor roof and was fine for this downtown location. We didn't try any of the hotel bars or restaurants. If we ever returned to Honolulu, we would prefer to stay at a true beach location, such as the Westin Moana Surfrider or at a resort further from the downtown noise and traffic.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank SophieBlue09
Sydney
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I stayed at Trump Waikiki on my honeymoon. We had considered a few hotels in Honolulu and decided to stay at both the Surfrider and Trump (both for four nights). We also considered Halekulani (but this was still undergoing renovation so not an option for us) and the Pink Palace (but they only had smoking rooms left so again, not an option for us).

I was really looking forward to my stay at Trump as I had read fabulous reviews and noted its position as the number one hotel in Waikiki. Initial impressions were good - we were greeted by lovely shell leis and escorted to the check in desk by a member of staff. Whilst we were checking in she brought us cool and refreshing towels and a cool drink. Check in was fast and efficient. We had booked a deluxe ocean view room with lanai. When I entered the room I was a bit disappointed with the size - compared to the Surfrider, it was smaller - not significantly smaller but the space felt tight. I was also a bit disappointed with the "ocean view" - yes we had a view of the ocean but really it was obscured by at least 50% by the hotels in front of us. We had booked a partial ocean view at Surfrider and that view was much better. I was pretty disappointed but moved on. The bed itself is comfortable and they had a pillow menu section which was nice. The bathroom was a really great size with a double sink. The shower was unusual in that it was open with no screen and next to the bath. I thought that water would splash everywhere in the bathroom but it didn't so obviously it was designed quite well despite the look. The kitchenette was very handy.

Onto the housecleaning - we didn't think that the housecleaning was up to the level that others had written about. We felt that all the housekeepers did was make the bed up and refresh the towels. We had forgotten to leave a tip the first day so I thought it may have been that, but we left a tip every other day and the level of housekeeping did not change. Overall, housekeeping was just average and definitely not to the standard of what you would receive for example in a five store hotel in Asia. They even left a dirty dish and glass in the sink! I was a bit astounded at that.

Another reason why I did not rate this as "great" is that this hotel really lacks any ambience. Some reviewers mentioned that it is just like a condo and not a resort - this hits the nail on the head. Maybe the Surfrider is older and sure the rooms aren't fantastic but boy does it have presence and a great ambience! Trump lacks all of this. Also although they provide beachside concierge services meaning you can reserve a chair and umbrella on the beach (we did this 2 of the 4 days) the service isn't as great as if you were staying at a beachfront hotel. For example, at the Surfrider you can book your chairs but then they have wait staff come around and take drink and food orders and that to me is what a beach holiday is about. Also, the part of the beach that the Trump beach concierge is located is not that great - the sand is quite rough with lots of little shells and particles and there is a reef almost straight away. Surfrider and Pink Palace have by far the best location in Waikiki (in my opinion). The beach concierge man was very nice and friendly and helpful and let us move chairs when a beachfront one became available.

I actually really liked the pool area at Trump! Yes it is small but it's very relaxing as it's not too busy and the pool itself is lovely. Yes children play in the pool but you can easily swim around them. Also the pool area has a delightful balcony where you can lie on the beach chairs and watch the sun go down.

Overall I would rate my experience at Trump as good (not really very good but I thought it was better than "average") but it is definitely not a "great" hotel. The main reason is that there is no hawaiian ambience - but for the leis that they give you, you could be staying at the city hotel. If I had to choose again, I would not stay here if I was on my honeymoon. I would definitely choose the Surfrider or the Pink Palace because you cannot beat that location (the Halekulani's beach area is far too small for my liking and you cannot set beach chairs on their beach). The only advantage that Trump has over other hotels is that if you have a family (I don't) it may be worthwhile as all the rooms have kitchens. That is the only advantage.

I know my review is very long but I wanted to give people my honest and complete feedback of the hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank MissWizzy
Deer Park, Illinois
Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

I've had the pleasure of staying at Trump Hotels many times in recent years. The Waikiki location is no exception when it comes to simply the best service of any hotel chain I've visited. The staff at these hotels go out of their way to make sure you enjoy your stay - this place is no exception. In addition, the decor and the furnishings are all 5-star (Trump) worthy.

However, I have to agree with some another reviewers remarks that stated this hotel is a great place to stay, but it's not on the beach, it has very limited views of the ocean, and to be honest I just don't think it has the wow-factor that the other Trump hotels have.

Dont' get me wrong, while I've been traveling on business this trip I've enjoy my stay very much, but when i come back later with the family for a vacation, I will not be staying here. The hotel just dosesn't quite do it for me as a resort hotel. There are other fine resort hotels right on the beach. My favorite resort in Waikiki is the Hilton Hawaian Village a couple blocks away, but I'll leave that review for another time. (sorry Donald)

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MBruck
Virginia
Reviewed May 6, 2012

The Trump certainly meets Trump standards for service and design. However, if you're expecting a "resort", this isn't the place. This is a Condo-Hotel. The hotel pool is extremely small, and the property isn't really designed as the "destination" but only the accommodation. For the price, this may not be enough for some travelers.

That said, the service is impeccable, and you will be royally treated from entry to exit.

The rooms all have mini-kitchenettes (of very high quality) with stove, microwave, small fridge with icemaker, and most if not all have balconies (Lanai's). The icemaker is at the very bottom of the fridge and it's an item they may forget to tell you about, so look for it unless you wish to call for ice.

Although one block off the beach, the Trump provides beach bags with towels, fruit, sunblock, and water to take with you and they have a partnership with one of the umbrella vendors at the beach who will do things through room charges. Like most things in Hawaii, beach umbrellas and chairs are fairly expensive (ranging from $35 to $45 a day), but the folks work hard to make sure you're taken care of.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TTJanes
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Excellent Service. We were upgraded to the 1-bedroom suite, which was superb. The room was well-appointed with partial views of the ocean and an easy walk to the beach. Large balcony and spacious kitchen and living space. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple