“Excellent Until You Have a Problem”

Trump International Hotel Waikiki
Ranked #4 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed July 12, 2011

I stayed at Trump for 4 nights with my mom for my pre-wedding planning in a Partial Ocean View Single Room. Because of all the rave reviews on Tripadvisor, I wanted to check out the hotel for myself and possibly book a group rate for my wedding guests next year. Here are my comments on the stay:

Welcome: Upon arrival, you are given nice shell leis, a cold towel, and a glass of fruit-infused cold water. The very friendly staff will walk you up to the 6th floor lobby for check in. Walking into our air conditioned room with Hawaiian music on, we were greeted by a tray of chocolate-covered strawberries and two cold waters in the fridge.

Upgrades: Although I heard that you can usually get upgraded at check-in, this didn't happen for us. No harm though since that would have just been an added bonus.

Parking: Valet parking is $28/night. I always called down for my car before leaving my room, and it was usually waiting for us when we came down. When picking up your car in the morning, your car will always be supplied with cold bottled water - a very nice detail. The driveway did get quite busy during the day and you sometimes had to wait for shuttle buses, limos, or other cars to move before you could get out.

Room: The rooms are wonderful at the Trump. I did a site inspection for my wedding and visited most of the room categories. Every room is very spacious and has a kitchenette or full kitchen (based on the size). For larger groups, the 1bdrm + den (sleeps 6; 1.5 bath), 2 bdrm (sleeps 6; 2.5 bath), and 2 bdrm + den (sleeps 8; 2.5 bath) are really great value and they won't charge you for the additional guests. The studio city view room was smaller than our partial ocean view room and both didn't include lanais. Our room - and all rooms on the south side - directly face the Outrigger Hotel next door whose guests like to hang out on their patios. Make sure to close your curtains if you want privacy!! I do also wish that the view would be more direct on the ocean, but since the hotel is not on the beach and blocked by the hotels around it, you only see a diagonal view.

Housekeeping: Service in this area is great. Our room was always kept very clean and tidy with housekeeping and nightly turn down service. They even wash all of your dishes for you. They also replace used towels and clean during turn down service as well so it is like getting your room cleaned twice a day.

Dining - Breakfast: Like any hotel breakfast, it's not that cheap ($60 for two). The view consists of mostly the pool below it and the Outrigger Hotel next door. One qualm is that we arrived at 8am when it was empty except for 1 other table. When we were seated at a 2-top, we asked to be moved to the 4-top next to us since it was in the shade and had a nicer view. Despite the restaurant being practically empty, she refused to allow us to move and "preferred" that we stay at our table. Bad service? I think so. When we left, 80% of the tables (including the one next to us) were still empty. Also beware that there were ants crawling on our table - a downside of being in a tropical location.

Dining - Room Service: There is nothing bad I can say about room service. It was exceptional. They charge a $4 delivery fee plus an automatic 18% gratuity, which is pretty reasonable compared to other hotels I've been to. We ordered dinner in on a Saturday night, and it arrived within 20 minutes. The portion size was much bigger than I expected, and the quality and taste of food was superb. Every day during my trip, I went to food tastings from top caterers on the island, and none of them satisfied me like my Trump room service dinner.

Front Desk: The staff at the front desk is ok - definitely not the best I've experienced. They are simply put - adequate. In my opinion, they are polite, but not genuinely friendly and always seemed so busy even when there were no guests at the desk. Although we're paying $400 a night, when I asked them to post one postcard, they asked for my room number and charged me 40 cents for the postage. 40 cents? You can't comp that?! I have never been charged at other hotels in the same class as Trump.

When problems arise: On the 3rd morning of our stay, our room wasn't getting any cold or warm water. The water was SCORCHING hot even though the hot water wasn't on at all. We had an exceptionally busy day, and when we called the front desk at 6am, they said their plumber wouldn't be in until 7am but they could give us a room across the hall where we could either shower or to move to completely. The room "across the hall" ended up being on the other side of the BUILDING. And despite this being the hotel's problem and a potential liability, they moved us to a smaller city view room - a DOWNGRADE. We didn't have time to move all of our stuff having being delayed now 2 hours so we carried our shower supplies in our bathrobes across the building to shower. That night, the problem seemed to have been solved. However, we didn't receive any followup to say what happened, no apologies, no compensation, NOTHING - only a downgraded hotel room and a dorm room experience for $400 a night.

If you are lucky enough to have a problem-free room, this is a really amazing hotel to stay in Waikiki away from all of the noise and hustle of the "strip".

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
14  Thank jaie78
There are newer reviews for Trump International Hotel Waikiki

Reviewed July 11, 2011

During the 3 nights that I stayed here, I had absolutely no complaints. The staff was amazing, amenities were great, and my overall experience was impeccable. I'd definitely come and stay here again, since it exceeded all my expectations.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank RedSox311
Reviewed July 9, 2011

A very nice and expensive building but the staff are not very accomodating if any issues arise, the staff are polite however not empowered to make any decisions when there are issues.
One night the staff came at 9:00pm to make our beds-not an issue if it was a cheap place, we requested a room to freshen up as we had to check out early and our filght left at 12:00am-no such thing, a hotel of this calibre should make it that one should want to go back-my wife and I wont. We have no problems making our own beds or paying extra for a using a room for 10-15 mins before a long flight, but this should be automatic in a 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: Book on line and be aware of the rates advertised as the booking agents will always be high
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank Aft43
Reviewed July 9, 2011

We just returned having stayed at the Trump Waikiki for 4 nights in a 2 bedroom with den apartment. This is without doubt in the top 2 hotels that I and our family have ever stayed at.... (and I cannot think of wha the other one might have been) From the moment we entered the hotel the genuine service and care to detail was outstanding. The friendly service culture of the staff is fantastic and adds immensely to the whole experience. The bedrooms, kitchen and living areas are of the highest quality and the views and balconies were large and roomy. Yes it is not right on the beach, 2 minute walk at worse, but that was a positive as you were far enough away from the hoards but still right next to great restaurants, pubs and shopping. Will stay here whenever we return without hesitation.

• Stayed: July 2011
3  Thank JohnCitizen4me
Reviewed July 5, 2011

Here is the real deal about this hotel. The Trump Waikiki property is simply superb. They take hospitality, service and quality to the highest level. We stayed for a week in a one-bedroom, plus den, suite at the Trump. What is really amazing to me is that each and every client facing individual at the hotel has been trained exceptionally well. Professional doesn't describe the service level at this hotel. Aloha doesn't describe the spirit of the service well enough. It's just perfect. Every interaction with every person is done with a positive, service oriented approach, it's really hard to imagine so many people can be so nice, helpful, polite and friendly each and every day. I've stayed at A LOT of hotels, and nice ones at that, and haven't seen this service level before. If you want impecable service, you've got to stay here.

Next, the quality of the rooms, the furnishings, the kitchen, the bed-everything is top of the line. We loved the gourmet kitchen. While we only had 3 meals at the hotel, each was fantastic. High quality food, great taste with exellent presentation. The bar is also great for evening cocktails and they have a very inventive drink menu.

Lastly, I want to address the pool because that gets a lot of negative comments. This isn't the hotel you come to and plan on staying by the pool each day with all of your kids in tow. The pool here is sophisticated, luxurious and fits perfectly into the environment this property creates. If you want an elegant pool to spend some quiet time away from the beach, this is it. The view from the pool is terrific and the infinity style fits in perfectly.

This hotel has syle and creates a unique environment and culture. I don't think this hotel is for everyone, frankly. But if you appreciate a luxurious enviornment with top of the line food and beverage all wrapped by the best service staff in the country, then you'll love this property.

Room Tip: Book a suite!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
10  Thank EvanPSP
Reviewed July 1, 2011

We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite at the Trump in June and it was fantastic. The service was great and the suite size was good. The kitchen is huge, as is the bathroom and the lounge and bedroom are good sizes, making it a great spot for us to stay with our young daughter and a fair bit of luggage. I would definately recommend the Trump tower if you're looking for an apartment or suite. One tip - don't book through the hotel websites but rather look for owners in the building who are renting out their apartments as it's much cheaper. We've also stayed at the Grand Waikikian (part of the Hilton Village) which was good too and probably more suitable for kids given the number of pools (Trump pool is pretty small comparatively) but the room at the Trump is nicer.
Our only issue was that there was drilling for a few hours when we first arrived during the day but we received a letter of apology from reception upon enquiring about it. Oh and don't order room service. We needed two glasses of milk for our daughter and it cost us $19!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank We_love_holidays_107
Reviewed June 29, 2011

The rooms were a bit smaller than expected but service was excellent on all counts. Would definitely recommend the hotel. It's only a short walk to all the buzz spots in Waikiki.

• Stayed: June 2011