“Walked out before we even got situated....”

Waikiki Starlight Luau
Ranked #10 of 33 Concerts & Shows in Honolulu
Long Island City, New York
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“Walked out before we even got situated....”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

When visiting the "aloha isle" one tends to crave authentic Hawaiian experiences. This was not one of them.

Located within the confines of the Hilton Hawaiian village resort, this attraction caters to the vast number of guests Hilton has at any given moment, plus other guests from neighboring hotels. It will be crowded.

To enter the luau you must travel up several escalators, to the roof of one of the buildings. There your ticket will be taken and you will be led outside...onto the roof. If its raining, you will be led into one of the ballrooms a floor below. The cost for this experience is expensive, 100 dollars per person.

When hubby and I reached the top and entered onto the roof we were disappointed to see that not only was there no greenery, no scenery, nothing pretty about the space, but there were communal tables with rickety old chairs one on top of the other. There was also food out, uncovered, and sitting there for God knows how long. A food saftey violation for certain. There were a ton of people and to stay would have meant sitting in an uncomfortable chair literally on someone's lap for the duration of the show. We left. We were not given a refund. We were not happy.

The following day we were sitting in the lounge and overheard the people behind us complaining about the show the prior evening. Turns out they had stayed. They werent happy either.

I'm not one to walk away, especially AFTER paying...but it was THAT unappealing.

Visited November 2013
3 Thank thetravelkitten

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Waikiki, hawaii
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It's a rip off and a dump.”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

It is way overpriced, run down, crowded and the customer service is non existent! Don't stay here. You can easily find something better, like the Outrigger. I was so excited about my vacation and staying here and it turned into one big disappointment. The beds are OLD!! I have to take an ibuprofen before I go to bed or my back is seized up. I'm paying sound 350 a night after all of their bogus fees and they give me nothing. The coffee in the room SUCKS.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Wintertim
Denver, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Complete ripoff”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Paid over $100 per person. The food was complete crap. The the dancing was waste of time. There was no story telling with their dances. They cramp everyone on the lawn not the beach. Eat dinner somewhere else and watch the show from surroundings or balcony. Overpriced joke! We will not return to this luau.

2 Thank gunther d
Fairmont, WV
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Amazing dancers and great food!”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We took our party of nine to the luau after my son's wedding. We were very pleased with the entertainment and the food, too. We even took pictures with some of the dancers afterwards.

2 Thank Zebra71
Sherman Oaks, CA
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Basically a Buffet and Show”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Wanted to do a luau and I this is not your traditional luau. It was a buffet dinner and a show. The performers were all fantastic. The emcee only okay. Would have been better if he didn't sing, but only introduce the performers and explain the meaning of the dances.
I thought it was overpriced and only hope the performers benefit from the cost. I think you can probably watch the show from the sidelines, pass on the buffet and save your money.
I cannot recommend.