“campus”

Ranked #109 of 332 things to do in Honolulu
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I didn't get to see much of the campus, but I was there for my daughter's college graduation, and they had the areas marked very well.

Reviewed May 30, 2012

In addition to being a typical college campus, UH Manoa is gorgeous and has some great attractions that many people may not know about. Many of the sites are free to visit, but some may not be open in the summer months and school breaks. The campus itself is an arboretum and botanical garden of sorts, you can find one of every type of tree that grows in Hawaii here, including an offspring of Buddah's tree of enlightenment. The student organic farm training has converted many spaces to edible landscapes including several types of banana trees. There is a small farmer's market a couple times a week. The art department has two art galleries. The large main gallery has shows that range from contemporary art to shows which focus on historic, Asian, and Polynesian art. The smaller gallery rotates weekly with student shows, and both are free. There is also an art museum on campus with a more permanent collection. Just downhill is the center for Hawaiian Studies which has a great deal of local info and history and even a taro patch. The Kennedy Theater hosts student productions throughout the year, as well as a smaller experimental space for dance and performance. The Japanese garden has a teahouse and a lovely koi pond bordered by a building designed by famed architect IM Pei. There is even a bug museum, a bar that often has live music and a thrift store on campus. Easy to get to via bus, check the website for more info.

1  Thank refinejst
Reviewed March 21, 2012

My teenage daughter wanted to buy her then-boyfriend a UH t-shirt, so a trip to the UH campus was a must for us. The campus itself was smaller than I thought it would be, which actually made it easy for us to get around on foot. The bookstore and surrounding area was under renovations, but the selection and prices were great - very comparable to our local college here in Cobb County, Georgia. We bought t-shirts for everyone, and my husband bought a UH Hoodie which I end up wearing myself!

If getting authentic UH collegiate gear is part of your plans, be sure to stop at UH's campus in Honolulu!

1  Thank KayGee62
Reviewed December 21, 2011

As a college advisor and higher education enthusiast, I love visiting colleges and universities. So when my husband had a business trip to Hawaii, I knew I would make it my business to visit the University of Hawaii at Manoa.

Parking
I found street parking and used meters for 2 hours. My tour ran over by an hour, we just talked about so much. Jenny was awesome. Luckily, I had no ticket on my rental car.

Location
Not a far drive from Waikiki.

Really nice campus, a little antiquated with buildings but consistent throughout. I got lost trying to find the student center to begin my tour and asked two students. One spoke English a little, the other didn't but they both helped me get to my location. Gorgeous grounds with plenty of trees and cultural centers. I only saw half of the campus because it is large.

Diversity
Very diverse student population and major offerings.

Athletics
Athletic Center is massive.

Pride
Students seem to have a lot of pride in their institution, wearing a lot of the universities apparel.

3  Thank jknecole
Reviewed December 14, 2011

The #4 bus takes you there from Waikiki, and it's great to go check out the large campus, and bookstore. The cafeteria is great for cheap eats with a variety of food, and there's a market for cheap groceries on Fridays: 8:30am – 3:00pm.

2  Thank derek j