“Great location, but definitely needs an update”
Review of Waikiki Banyan

Waikiki Banyan
Cathedral City, California
“Great location, but definitely needs an update”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

One of the more difficult reviews I have written here, as the hotel was definitely sub-par, but you have to give management credit for trying to make it right if you spoke up about what was wrong. I think there are too many timeshare organizations running this place which results in greatly varying quality of the rooms. One of the worst (lengthy) check-ins I have ever experienced with a staff that simply doesn't care enough. We moved 3 times - the last to the top floor with a wonderful view of Diamond Head. I was shocked at the first "remodeled" room which had broken uncomfortable furniture. They are currently doing some minor exterior remodeling, but it is simply not enough for the price one pays. Elevators are notoriously slow, even given the remodeling going on. Pool area is too small, but one can always argue that the beach is a block and a half away. We didn't have a "bad" time here, but I would not recommend it. The BIG exception is the parking. $80 for the week with unlimited in and out is the best deal you will find anywhere in Waikiki. I may not stay here again, but I will definitely use their parking lot!

Room Tip: High Floor ocean view is the best, but you can't avoid the street noice no matter where you are...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sunseeker69

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed November 15, 2013

The condo was very clean itself, only complaint was coffee pot was put away filthy with grounds still in it...yuk! Our hosts...Koko Resorts were very accommodating and helped with all needs as they could. The towel situation was bad for rooms but they did offer quarters (in exchange for my money) so we could launder them. That needs to be rectified immediately for future guests. Condo had great ocean view and we used balcony whenever in room. Sofa extremely comfortable. Cable channel are limited to basic cable but wifi always worked. Only 1 block from Waikiki and shopping and restaurants galore. Used Waikiki Beach Services for outing on outrigger...awesome people work there. They made it very memorable. Kitchen has all that is needed and bathroom quite clean and roomy. There was only 2 of us and we were overall happy with the Banyon.

Room Tip: Tower 1 is the best for ocean views.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Between 1720-1820 on November 2, my elderly parents and a handicap autistic bother were stuck in your Waikiki Banyan elevator. Your personnel and security refused to call emergency. During the hour of being stuck in that elevator, staff would yell to them "do not call 911", "wait 30 minuets more!" and "just wait!" While being stuck in the elevator my parent's phone didn't work and would cut off so they were not able to call 911 anyways. They got so sick waiting that my handicap bother had to defecate on the floor. People in trapped enclosed and in sick condition should wait for emergency only, not wait for lazy "elevator man" to take his time to arrive. I suppose my family is lucky none of them didn't have a panic attack, seizure, or die which would have very well happened thanks to your "just wait" treatment.
Even after 30 min of being stuck personnel and staff refused to call the fire department or emergency! When I called security pleading them to call the fire department after 30 min of being trapped, I was even threatened by security James (if that's his real name) "if we called emergency, you'll be charged over $800.00!" and he hang up.
Hotel guests should not be charged forced tortured and get sick in a stuck elevator! By absolutely no means did your management, staff, or security handle the situation professionally. Clearly there was no rush to help these people stuck getting tired and sick in the elevator. Security and management were also trying to blame "traffic" for the wait. That entire island can be circled within an hour, clearly there was no rush to help these people stuck getting tired and sick in the elevator. It practically took and hour before some "elevator man" even set foot on the property.
Your treatment towards my family was disgusting torture and absolutely unacceptable!
The fire department should have been called immediately to get trapped people out of a malfunctioning elevator first. Then call the "elevator man" to fix the malfunction. Instead you wanted the convenience of fixing the elevator while making my family sick inside it because it was cheaper! The security management, and staff who were more worried about the elevator rather than the human lives trapped in it. I'm sure if it were your family members stuck in an elevator, you would not leave them to wait for some lazy "elevator man".

Room Tip: avoid this place and go elsewhere unless you want to be treated as my family was
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank Karma K
Reviewed October 26, 2013

It was our first time at hawaii. This hotel is very close to everything. Ok, the hotel is old, but still they kept it in good shape. PLus we mainly used it to sleep at night. The check in was fast. The front desk were helpful and willing to give you tips of anything you ask them to. We didnt get to use the pool and the bbq on 6 floor i think, but it looks like a lot of people are enjoying themselves. No gym though so we just ran, which is very convinient since the beach is only a block away. Will definately go back here when I came back to oahu

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jaysinn
calgary
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Once again we have spent the last two weeks at Waikiki Banyan - and we are never disappointed!

We checked in late - thanks to Lee, he as great, upbeat, friendly, fast and he upgraded us to an ocean view - awesome!

You are in within walking distance of everything, 1 1/2 blks from beach, 1/2 block to the trolley stops, quick 20 minute walk to the Rainbow Drive In!!

We do all of our grocery shopping at Walmart or Don Quixote's for the best prices and selection - trolley ride home with your loot...

We almost meet new people and can't wait to go back again!!

If you have a choice, check it out - worth it and a great bang for your buck!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 17, 2013

This was my first time in Honolulu but my friends told me what general area to look for rooms. This hotel is located with all the other high end hotels, that's how you know the location is amazing. The beach is 2-3 blocks away. The downtown area with all the shops and clubs were also within walking distance! The amenities were minimal but I didn't come to Hawaii to stay in my room/hotel. The view in tower 2 is phenomenal, you can see Waikiki beach and diamond head. You can book directly with the hotel or find it on VRBO. I found my room on VRBO and it decorated like a 4 start hotel. I definitely would stay here again.

Room Tip: Tower 2 with the Ocean view is best!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
usa
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We returned to Hawai'i again this year but centered our visit on O'ahu because we have family here. Since they had a new baby,we didn't feel like intruding on their home and opted to stay in this lovely condo. The garage was safe, clean and well tended. The building was lovely and well kept despite its age. We were so pleased with this comfy condo with a king sized bed and fully equipped kitchen. The location was quiet despite the sea of humanity on the streets of Waikiki. We did hear an occasional car horn but this is a very vibrant, busy area and those kinds of things are to be expected. We enjoyed the sunrise and views of Diamond Head as well as the occasional passing shower and ensuing rainbow. The entire area around this building is safe and walking friendly. We loved that we could just walk over to the beach and the zoo. I was so happy that we chose this immaculate home away from home!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family