Open today: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

from $167.49
from $115.50
from $104.80
More Info
All reviews plants and trees orchid garden downtown honolulu amazing trees gift shop buddhist temple self guided tour spend an afternoon entrance fee couple of hours nice walk specimens bloom cannonball acres botany gardening
Reviewed 4 days ago

This garden is much smaller than the Lyon Arboretum and the Hoomaluhia Botanical Gardens, but it houses an extraordinary variety of blooming orchids. Worth the respite from the downtown crowds.

Reviewed 1 week ago

This is a very good botanical garden. All the trees wear their name plates. There is a wide variety of trees, shrubs ad flowers. It is imperative that you join the free guided tour. The botanist was very knowledgeable, friendly and sprinkled the tour with a sense of humour.

1  Thank DYu0612
Reviewed 1 week ago

Foster Botanical Gardens is one of many botanical stops that I always include when I have visitors!!! A Botanical and Historical significant point of interest. A Crown Jewel of a treasure in addition to the other Botanical Gardens on Oahu.

1  Thank rustytrax
Reviewed 1 week ago

Take a couple of hours to discover the orchids, giant trees, palm trees ,and beautiful well kept gardens. You'll forget you are in the city. This is a mind blower. Don't miss this one.

2  Thank Daniel S
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Too many species of Palm Trees to list andsome of. the biggest trees I have ever seen. large array of beautiful orchards. Low admission price is a bonus

Reviewed October 10, 2018 via mobile

[note: accessibility comments at the end]

My husband & I are not at all into gardening and plants, but still really appreciate the beauty of nature. Instead of just wandering about in these gardens, we took the free-with-admission ($5/adult - $3 for locals) tour that lasted about 1.5 hours. I know the tour is offered every week day, but not sure about weekends. They prefer folks to make reservations (especially for large groups), but they were very welcoming to those like us who happened to arrive in time for the tour at 10:30 am.

We both found the tour very interesting and felt it made our visit to the gardens much more enjoyable. Our tour group of 8-10 people was about 50-50 gardening types and non-gardening types (like us). The mix of people made for an interesting mix of questions to complement the information the guide provided.

Unlike a lot of tours, it was clear that the guide possessed a wide range of knowledge beyond what was covered. It was also clear that while there certain things that probably every tour guide covered, each tour is adapted to what’s happening plant-wise on that day, as well as the interests of those on the tour.

In terms of accessibility, it was one of the most well designed botanical garden we’ve been to. I use an up-walker (a kind of a tall rollator with arm rests with the brake handles or joystick-type of brakes depending on the model) and there was also a woman using a motorized wheel chair that was also a part of our tour group.

Most of the tour was on cement pathways that were often flat with a few gentle slopes. There were some “off road” portions of the tour that were fairly smooth dirt paths or covered with a low type of grass. Neither of us had any major issues negotiating these portions. I did, however, get hung up exiting from the slight down hill path from the prehistoric garden area back onto the cement path — but mostly my fault as I was too busy looking up at the scenery, instead of where I was going. Both bathrooms I used had a roomy accessible stall (in the ladies rooms).

The ramps up to the main entrance and from their past another set of stairs up to the gardens could have been a bit wider, but at least there was enough zig-zag to keep them from being too steep.

Reviewed September 24, 2018 via mobile

We had time to kill during our last day before an evening flight, so we visited Foster. What a delightful place, an oasis in a busy city. A short walk from public transportation in Chinatown district. The palm tree grove was impressive, and so many species from around the world. Orchids and native trees and other varieties. Restrooms were clean. Parking available. Good paths and soft lawn. Gift shop and literature on birds to see, etc. definitely a worthwhile choice.

Reviewed September 8, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I really enjoyed the tranquility of this garden. I would say it was more of a arboretum than a botanical garden as the emphasis is on the trees. They are amazing and some are quite unique. You do get some traffic noise nearer the perimeter but towards the centre you can hear the wonderful array of bird life. Well worth a visit. Shame the gift shop was shut when we went though.

Reviewed September 5, 2018 via mobile

It’s quite small and the road noise is terrible. The orchid house was pretty but that was about it. If you’re particularly interested in botany then it might excite you more but as a nice garden to look at, I’m sure there are better.

1  Thank NickM5223
Reviewed August 31, 2018

We often visit this treasure plants and flowers right in the city. It is tranquil. The busy city seems far away but is really happening right around the gardens. A stroll here is always calming and perfect eye candy. People look at their cell phones non-stop while nature has the best treat for our eyes. Enjoy!