“Very Moving visit”

and up
Half-Day Pearl Harbor City Tour from Waikiki
Ranked #8 of 324 things to do in Honolulu
More attraction details
Owner description: The resting place for more than 25,000 victims of three American Wars - World War II, Korean War and Vietnam War – this is truly the “Cemetery of Heroes.” Punchbowl was formed some 75,000 to 100,000 years ago during the Honolulu period of secondary volcanic activity. A crater resulted from the ejection of hot lava through cracks in the old coral reefs that, at the time, extended to the foot of the Koolau Mountain Range. Of special note is a monument honoring Hawaii-born astronaut Ellison Onizuka, who perished aboard the Challenger space shuttle in 1986. Also noteworthy are the Courts of the Missing, white stone tablets bearing the names of those missing in action from World War II.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Very Moving visit”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Not a place I expected to enjoy so much! It was really just a stop to spend time before our flight out of town. But it turned out to be one of the most memorable places we visited. The cemetery is beautiful and the murals are incredible. It was quite the history lesson to read of all the battles on the murals. Totally worth a visit!

1 Thank Jane G

60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Highly recommend”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We have been to this beautiful cemetery I think on every trip we have made to Honolulu. The grounds are so well maintained the monuments are gorgeous. A fitting tribute to honour the fallen.
Spectacular views at the top of the Cemetery, great photos of Waikiki.

1 Thank deb&tony
Long Beach, California
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Off the beaten path, beautiful views”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I like visiting this place and the drive here is not at all scenic, until you reach the top view. Beautiful and peaceful!

1 Thank LBConcierge
Vancouver
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Punchbowl National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

On my visit to Waikiki last year, I did not have the opportunity to visit the Punchbowl National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific due to time constraints - so this year I made it a priority to visit and I am very glad I did.

This was an exceptional place for me to visit and learn more about the sacrifices made by my American neighbours. About those at rest and those missing or lost. I spent several hours visiting the memorials, reading the maps and their corresponding stories, all while fighting back the tears. The most profound being the gravesites of those laid to rest that indicated the person had been in WWII, Korea, Vietnam wars. All three wars - what a hero they were and how unselfish. There were many of these and more. I was stunned that someone would give up so much or had to give up so much. I have never been more moved by a memorial in my life.

The grounds themselves are beautiful and very well kept by a friendly and helpful group of workers. If you have any questions or need any help (or if you look lost like I did) they are there for you.

There is no charge for this memorial, parking is free. Be sure to read the sign about the rules to follow which are really just common sense but a reminder that you are at a cemetery.

I am very grateful for having the opportunity to visit this memorial.

San Ramon, California
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Pause at this memorial”
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Worth a stop to remember those who gave their lives for our country. A very well taken care of resting place for our war heroes. Beautiful monuments