“Great experience.”

Surf HNL
Book In Advance
$82.72*
and up
Oahu Shore Excursion: Small-Group or Private Surfing or Stand-Up Paddleboard...
$93.19*
Pokai Bay Stand-up Paddleboard Lesson
$82.72*
and up
Oahu Surf Lessons: Class and Equipment at Ala Moana Beach with Round-Trip...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Have ever dreamed of you and your family surfing while on vacation in Hawaii? Get surfing today with our lessons at Surf HNL! We specialize in serving families and guests of Waikiki, and those staying around Oahu. Each of our programs helps you access real open ocean surf. Surf HNL focuses on teaching: at uncrowded beaches, beginner surfers, intermediate surfers, athletes, children, families, and multi-lesson programs. Improve your performance and decrease the risk of injury with our fun and knowledgeable instructors. Advanced reservations are required.
Newtown
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great experience.”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

We had a fantastic time surfing today. I wanted to try surfing while visiting KO Olina. The resort recommended surf HNL. Adam our instructor was great. I was glad I booked 8 am because we had a 2 on 1 lesson with the instructor. It was well worth the money. The pictures also turned out great. I would recommend this and I plan on doing it again !!

1 Thank Ltob22
SurfHNL, Front Office Manager at Surf HNL, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Aloha Ltob22,

Mahalo for surfing with us! We love to hear that our customers had a fantastic time surfing with us! Adam is an awesome instructor and we are glad to hear you had a great time surfing with him! Mahalo for writing a review about your surfing experience! We really appreciate it! If you ever come back to Hawaii, come surf with us again!

Mahalo,
Iniki Leialoha
Operational manager

Cologne, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Surfing Waikiki”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

It's been my first time surfing and I had a great time and appreciated the small group (3). The instructor took his time with each of us and helped us getting into the waves so we all actually managed to get on the board and surf.
The only thing I have to say is that the shirts provided reeked of old sweat which was a bit disgusting and since I had the first lesson at 8am in the morning they could have at least washed them over night. I felt sorry for the people coming for the next lesson. They had to put on the shirts we just used.
Also I really would have liked to purchase photos but the laptop didn't work and they said they'd email me about it, but didn't. I've emailed twice now, but nothing has happened. That's a bit sad, as in overall it was a great experience and I would have liked to have some pictures for my memories.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Patti O
SurfHNL, General Manager at Surf HNL, responded to this review, September 10, 2014
Aloha,

Thankyou for taking the time to provide us with feedback of your experience. I'm very happy to see that you enjoyed your surf lesson and was successful in surfing. We like to apologize if you received a Lycra Rashguard that had a bad odor. We thoroughly wash our rashguards daily to ensure cleanliness. We never reuse rashguards, but we always have on hand ample gear in stock with every staff member. I apologize if you were promised photos but was neglected. Please call us at 808.772.4583, I will personally ensure that we get your photo situation resolved.

Mahalo,
Ian Gomez
Concord, Massachusetts
149 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 109 helpful votes
“Great Activity on the West Side”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We are staying out in Ko Olina and couldn't wait to try surfing out here. Surf HNL uses Barber's Point Beach which is a very nice clean beach. The kids are 9 and 13 (with a 21 year old cousin) and we signed up for private lessons for 2 hours. The wind was strong and the waves were pretty high for beginners. The instructors, Casey, Sevin, and Mari, were unbelievable. They kept the kids (very much beginners all) safe and surfing. 2 hours is a long time for beginners in good waves but the kids took a few minutes break and were right back out there until the very last second. The instructors helped and encouraged and cheered them on. They helped pull them through the waves and smiled the whole time. This is a great activity for the family.

Visited July 2014
SurfHNL, Guest Relations Manager at Surf HNL, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Aloha, Paul the kids did awesome! everyone had a blast! that was a good experience for everyone. if you guys are ever in hawaii again, you guys should try our SUP lessons. thanks again for surfing with us!
Chicago, Illinois
4 attraction reviews
“Highlight of our vacation (both times during save vacation)!”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Surf lessons were high on the to-do list for our vacation to Oahu, but this experience far exceeded our expectations so much so that we went twice during our 9 day vacation. We elected for the private lesson for our 10 year old son and he was riding waves tandem with the instructor at first and then by himself within the first hour with his instructor Casey. The second visit was just as impressive with instructor Dalton and he was riding waves immediately by himself. The professional photos captured all the great waves and was worth the money to capture his successful surfing experience. I highly recommend Girls Who Surf (Surf HNL) and recommend you consider the private lesson option and purchase the photographs! Our son says this was the highlight of our vacation!

Visited July 2014
i happy that everyone had an awesome time! that was a good expirence for everyone. when ever you come back to hawaii you should try our SUP lessons
Pflugerville, Texas
“Awesome Surf Lessons!!”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

We had a wonderful experience for our first time surf lessons with our 6 year old and our 12 year old. Our 6 year old had a 1-hour private lessons - shout out to Mari!!! She was terrific...he had a blast. Our 12 year old had a 2:1 ratio with her instructor. It was great. Both kids were able to get up on their boards many times. Safety was a priority. All the instructors were great with our kids. We would definitely repeat!

Visited July 2014
Aloha and thank you for surfing with us at Girls who surf and Mahalo for sharing your experience. also a big thank you to taking some time out of your busy life & writing an awesome review! We really appreciate it!! Hope well see you again & make sure to tell your friends & family about us here in Hawaii. If you are ever in Hawaii again please come back to surf with us. We also offer sup lessons at two locations Ala moana and Pokai bay.