“Made my Trip!!”

Surf HNL
Book In Advance
$82.72*
and up
Oahu Surf Lessons: Class and Equipment at Ala Moana Beach with Round-Trip...
$93.20*
and up
Oahu Shore Excursion: Small-Group or Private Surfing or Stand-Up Paddleboard...
$93.20*
Waikiki Stand-up Paddleboard Lesson with Round-trip Transport
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Have ever dreamed of you and your family surfing while on vacation in Hawaii? Get surfing today with our lessons at Surf HNL! We specialize in serving families and guests of Waikiki, and those staying around Oahu. Each of our programs helps you access real open ocean surf. Surf HNL focuses on teaching: at uncrowded beaches, beginner surfers, intermediate surfers, athletes, children, families, and multi-lesson programs. Improve your performance and decrease the risk of injury with our fun and knowledgeable instructors. Advanced reservations are required.
Reviewed May 27, 2014

My best friend and I had SUP lessons with Stephanie at Pokai Bay. It was our first day in Hawaii and the highlight of the trip. We had an awesome time! Steph was a great instructor and very encouraging while teaching us. I would recommend to all my friends who travel to Hawaii.

Aloha Michelle C,

Were so stoked to hear that you loved the SUP lesson with Stephanie, and it was the highlight of your trip! Mahalo for taking some time out of your busy life & writing an awesome review! We really appreciate it! You and your best friend did awesome! Hope to see you again in. Once again thank you so much!!

Reviewed May 27, 2014

We had a really great experience with Ian and Izzy! The website kinda looks like the lessons are geared toward kids, but adults can have a really great time too. Everything was straightforward, we didn't have to bring anything to the lesson (except maybe sunscreen and a Go Pro), and by the end we were exhausted -- a sign of a quality outing.

It was our first time ever surfing. Both Ian and Izzy were super cool... I would recommend this without hesitation to anyone who's brand new to surfing.

Aloha Eric S,

Were so stoked to hear that you loved your first time surfing. Mahalo for taking some time out of your busy life & writing an awesome review! We really appreciate it!! Hope well see you again & make sure to tell your friends & family about us here in Hawaii. You are right, adults can have some fun too! Once again thank you so much!!

Reviewed May 27, 2014

I had a private lesson in standup paddleboarding. I'm 56 years old and in moderately good shape. I like adventure, but I'm not a super athlete. I had never surfed. I'd been wanting to try standup paddleboarding for awhile. My teacher (I think her name was something like Anikita) was kind and patient and had me standing up and well balanced within minutes. I only took two spills in learning to stand up, and then I was pretty comfortable. The only trouble I had was paddling against the wind. I paddled and paddled and got nowhere, but at least I got a good workout. After about an hour of that kind of hard work, we decided to walk the boards up the beach, put in, and let the wind be at our backs for awhile. That part was great fun! Back home in the Midwest, I'm going to seek out lakes that rent boards and paddles so I can improve my skills. Anikita also had me convinced I should trying surfing, so that's been added to my bucket list.

Aloha Keepclimbing57,

Were so stoked to hear that you loved your first time Stand Up Paddling. Stand up Paddling is fun for everybody. It is awesome that you enjoyed it so much you are looking at places to rent SUP boards near you to improve your skills. It is definitely a work out, but i hope you stick to it! Mahalo for taking some time out of your busy life & writing an awesome review! We really appreciate it!! Hope well see you again & make sure to tell your friends & family about us here in Hawaii. That is also a great picture!

Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

Such a great experience! Susie was fantastic. She was really knowledgable and made the experience. I would definitely recommend using this company and ask for Susie. It's great to look into the photos, but expensive.

Aloha Cakie123,

Were so stoked to hear that you loved your first time surfing. Susie is really knowledgeable about surfing and we are happy to hear that she made your surfing experience a great time. We sell photos to make sure everyone has a memory of their first time surfing on O'ahu. Mahalo for writing an awesome review! We really appreciate it!! Hope well see you again & make sure to tell your friends & family about us here in Hawaii. Mahalo for recommending Girls Who Surf/SurfHNL

Reviewed May 13, 2014

I booked a 2 hour private lesson which stated it included 30 minutes of beach instruction and 90 minutes of water lessons. I was told at the last minute my private instructor didn't show up and I was placed in the group lesson that lasted less than 10 minutes and ended with "remember to jump off your surf board before you hit the rocks near the beach" (that should have been a red flag). Once in the water, my only "instruction" was either "paddle" or "go"- not very helpful. Staff overall not very friendly, only 1 gal bothered to introduce herself when we 1st arrived, nobody seemed in charge of the operation and staff seemed distracted. They seemed more interested in selling you a photo or gear with their logo on it rather than teaching you how to surf (safely). When I complained that I didn't receive the 30 minutes of private beach instruction that I paid for and as they advertised, the response was pretty much "yeah, we know" and they didn't try to remedy the situation. We spoke to another family also receiving the group lesson who agreed it was a disappointing experience compared to the time the used the company a year ago, I also spoke to some experienced surfers I met at our hotel who told me this was not a good "beginner" surfing location. I rarely give poor reviews, but this was the WORST experience I've ever had in Hawaii.

4  Thank pokyCalifornia
SurfHNL, Manager at Surf HNL, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Aloha,

At Surf HNL we apologize for the surf experience you have received on your trip. We are also very disappointed that your Surf Lesson did not measure up to your standards. Although the initial Land Lesson is conveyed in a group setting. Every Private Lesson includes their own instructor when docking into the ocean and during the surf experience, in which you received. Land Lessons are approximately 30 minutes long, however may be shortened pending on the skill level/attentiveness of the student. We try to condense each Land Lesson and convey it in a simple, safe and informative way. This is the case, because most students cannot remember all of the information, especially when they enter the water. Instructors encourage all students to ask questions and communicate with their designated surf instructor. We love to give our students and their families the opportunity to take home a visual memoir or keepsake of their special day Surfing. After the end of each lesson, we remind all students the opportunity they have to purchase photos of their surf experience. We have received many positive feedback and reviews because of this. We also have great pictures of you standing up and enjoying the surf. The surf location we select for guests accommodating in Ko Olina, is one of the best “beginner” surf spots on the Island for both young and old. The surf location is also very secluded compared to any surf spot on the island. The surf location is very similar to a privatized “road”, compared to a “Freeway” of surfers which most surf spots in Hawaii is likened to. This gives any guest surfing with the us the best possible experience without having to share waves with local surfers. Like all Surf Spots on Oahu there are reef. However all students are provided premium reef shoes. We also provide Surf Leggings for female surfers, something no other surf school offer on the Island. Surf HNL strives for a safe and enjoyable surf experience. We have the best Surf School safety record on the Island. Again, we apologize for your experience and we are deeply saddened by your reviews. If you have any questions please give us a call. We would like to make your next experience an excellent one. We warmly invite you back to Surf with us again! :)

Mahalo,