“Terrific Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Pokai Bay Stand-up Paddleboard Lesson
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Have ever dreamed of you and your family surfing while on vacation in Hawaii? Get surfing today with our lessons at Surf HNL! We specialize in serving families and guests of Waikiki, and those staying around Oahu. Each of our programs helps you access real open ocean surf. Surf HNL focuses on teaching: at uncrowded beaches, beginner surfers, intermediate surfers, athletes, children, families, and multi-lesson programs. Improve your performance and decrease the risk of injury with our fun and knowledgeable instructors. Advanced reservations are required.
Danbury, Connecticut, United States
“Terrific Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Izzy and Ross were absolutely great. They arrived on time, went over the basics and got us all up and surfing on our second or third wave. They were patient, supportive and very fun. I was not planning on joining in on the lesson but I have to say that I am glad I did. It was one of the highlights of my vacation and I will recommend them to anyone.

Visited February 2013

, Wisconsin, United States
“Excellent experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

We have dreamed of watching our kids surf and GWS made this dream a reality. The beach they chose was clean, safe and not crowded. They provided everything we needed from equipment to snacks and lawn chairs and towels. Our sons loved the experience and Wayenne and the other female instructor were very focused on a successful experience for our sons. They were even able to take my five yr old out and she also surfed! Their customer service was exceptional and well worth the fee. We will def use them again next time on Oahu.

Visited January 2013
New York City, New York
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A Girl Who Surfed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

I've wanted to surf for as long as I can remember, but never had an opportunity to do it until my recent trip to Hawaii. I found girls who surf on trip advisor and decided to give them a call. They were able to give me a private lesson on short notice. Rash guard, shoes, and board were provided. My instructor and I spent about 10 minutes on land going over ocean safety, paddling, and surfing techniques. After that, it was time to get in the water.

Paddling out went smoothly and my instructor never strayed too far and kept a watchful eye on me. I didn't realize I had a fear of the ocean until I stepped in the water and started paddling far from shore haha. I managed to stand up on my very first wave and it felt awesome! I felt safe the entire lesson and it helped that the water was relatively shallow where the waves were breaking. My instructor was very patient with me and gave me tips to improve on every wave. She also pulled my board along whenever I was struggling with paddling. I was scheduled for an hour long lesson but my lesson ended up being an hour and a half.

Girls Who Surf gave me an awesome experience and I'll definitely go back to them when I'm in Honolulu.

PS start doing pushups NOW. It'll definitely help you stay in the water longer. I considered myself to be in shape and I could do a ton of pushups, but after 1.5 hours of paddling my arms were dead.

Visited January 2013
GirlsWhoSurf, General Manager at Surf HNL, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Hey Traveljunkie2020

Were so stoked to hear that you loved your first time surfing. Mahalo for taking some time out of your busy life & writing an awesome review! We really appreciate it!! Hope well see you again & make sure to tell your friends & family about us here in Hawaii. Once again thank you so much!!
By any chance do you remember which instructor helped!

Mahalo
Gws surf honolulu!!

SURF'S UP!!
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Safe Surfing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Great surfing experience! I use this company each time I'm in Oahu and every instructor has been great. The instructors are very familiar with the water and help me catch waves hat are appropriate for my level. The ocean is powerful, so it is important to be with an instructor who knows how to "read" the waves. I look out and see flat water and then all of sudden, it's time to set up and ride in. I get a rush every time I ride a wave. The instructor focuses on making sure you have fun and stay safe. They use good equipment too...rash guard and shoes. All you need is a towel and sunscreen. Be ready to have lots of fun. Enjoy!!!!

Visited November 2012
Hey Justine,

Thank you for such a great review, were glad to hear you enjoy our services & i like our instructors too :) were like a family! Well mahalo for taking a little time out for your day & hope to see you another time on a beach in HAWAII!!

SURF'S UP

Mahalo,
Surf Honolulu GWS
Tiburon, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great surfing experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

During a recent family vacation to Oahu, we found GWS on trip advisor for our two daughters aged 8 and 10. We were not disappointed. After just about 10 minutes of gear prep and on-shore instruction, they were in the water. My youngest surfed tandem with her instruction Ross, while my oldest was side by side with Wynette. The youngest picked it up immediately, so much so that they came out and grabbed a board for her to go solo. The oldest struggled a bit more, but eventually got the hang of it by the end of the lesson. Both instructors were awesome and highly recommended. The girls had a blast and had to have the obligatory tshirts after to confirm their adventure. As a follow-up, my youngest liked it so much, she asked for a surfboard for Christmas this year. Great adventure in Oahu.

Visited September 2012