Hale Koa Hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Honolulu
See available hotels
  • Beachfront
Aloha Punawai(Honolulu)
Breakers Hotel(Honolulu)
  • Breakfast included
2,082 results
All reviewsbarefoot barkoko cafemilitary hotelactive dutymaile towermilitary idmilitary familieswarriors loungehappy's snack bararmed forcespost exchangeexchange storeservice membersair forcewaikiki beachmilitary personneladult pool
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 17, 2011

We just returned from a 7 day stay, to celebrate our 10th Anniversay. We stayed in the remodeled tower on the 10th floor with a ocean view. Our room was on the corner so we could look around and see the city view also, plus it faced the Hilton Hotel and had the pleasure of hearing semi trucks back up to unload food and supplys. The rooms are very small. Only one side had a night stand. The bed was only a queen size and couldn't get a restful night of sleep on it. It's true the pillows are small, but extra are in the closet. TV reception is horrible, and don't expect a flat screen. We also had a pull out couch in the room. Bathroom was spacious and clean. No room service. The food is horrible, about the same as ship food. The lady at the coffee cart was not a happy person, as I did get coffee every morning. Very seldom heard a "Good Morning" The best thing about the hotel was sitting at the barefoot bar having a drink and watching the sunset.
The PX was the best thing that happened to the hotel. The last day we were there we ate at the coffee shop and had the buffet. It was good. Don't waste your time doing the Sunday Brunch. The lady asked us if we had a discount coupon, when we said "No" she didn't offer us a savings. "How Rude" If you are a Senior Citizen you get a discount at the coffee shop. Pools are okay. Grounds are clean and nice. The best tip: Go to the North Shore, pick up fruit at the fruit stand and stop to eat at Teds Bakery- or take it to Sunset Beach, the best plate lunch on the island. Do not go to the travel agency at the hotel for tours, Drive to the Marine Base and get your tickets there as we saved alot of money for our day trip to Kauai, and it's only a 30 minute drive. We ate down the street - Calif Pizza Kitchen, Ruth Chirs, Buffalo Wild Wings, several chain places to chose from.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rio02
Reviewed February 10, 2011

I am a former Navy brat, and stayed at the Hale Koa in the early 1980's as a dependent child when we moved to, and moved from Hawaii. Over the years, I have returned many times with pleasure.

This hotel is by far the best deal right ON the beach. We had a garden view room for $130 and no tax. A very comparable room right next door at the Hilton Hawaiian Village is nearly $300, PLUS tax. I know, because I have stayed at the HHV a few times too. The rooms at the Hale Koa are nicely done - I would not call them luxurious, but they are definitely above average. Good sized with all the typical amenities you would expect.

The grounds are beautiful, with many gorgeous tropical plants and flowers. We noticed multiple people every day taking close-up photos of some of the flowers in bloom.

This hotel caters to the military community. It's what it was built for. So not very many military families vacation or PCS during the winter - because their kids are in school. So consequently, the majority of the guests during the winter are retirees getting away from the cold weather. Someone told me that they didn't like the hotel because "it was full of old people'. This seemed like a relatively dumb statement because you are not sharing a room with others. You're not chained to the hotel. You're not forced to eat at the hotel. You aren't required to hang out with only people from the hotel.Waikiki is a vibrant, touristy city -and you are a short walk away from any kind of restaurant/club/party if that's what you're interested in. So what if alot of the other guests at the hotel are older than you?

I highly recommend the Hale Koa Hotel. The rates can't be beat, I love the military community, the beach is the biggest in Waikiki (not a tiny little sliver of sand, that's for sure!) and I enjoy going there any chance I can get my Dad to sponsor a room for us.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Tabcolorado
Reviewed February 9, 2011

Just returned from a week at the Hale Koa & it was a pleasant stay, but not great! The room is just average, but it makes up for it by the location of the hotel. I was in the older tower with a great view of the ocean...very beautiful! The staff at the hotel were very professional & polite...very helpful!

The grounds were kept very clean & highly recommend the Barefoot Bar...great drinks & bartenders. :-)

The restaurants are very reasonable priced & the food was great as well. Try Happy's Snack Bar for a quick Burger or ice cream cone...u won't be disappointed!

Overall, the Hale Koa is a very nice hotel for the money, but could use a little work on their rooms...nicer TV & refrigerator. OK, I'm a little picky. :-)

• Stayed: February 2011
2  Thank Bighouse0820
Reviewed February 4, 2011

My family and I stayed here for 8 days during Jan 11. This was my first trip to Hawaii, my wife had been to Oahu several times before. We were given a partial ocean view room on the 9th floor. I would describe the room as average. I have stayed in similar rooms at a BOQ for $28 a night. This room was fives times that price and while I sure that some will say that this is a good deal based on its location, I am not completely convinced. I think the pricing structure is too expensive for active duty.

Overall, we really liked Waikiki and I would perhaps go back, in about 20 years when I am 60, but I would not stay here. The Cottages at K-Bay present a far better value at $110 a night and you are ten steps away from the beach.

Side complaint:
I was also very disappointed with the booking process. I found it IMPOSSIBLE to book a room via telephone and though website says you cannot book more than a year in advance not a single top tier room was available when I tried to book a room. What active duty person can say were they will be a full year in advance? I certainly cannot and it seems as though, as you would expect, the hotel is full of persons in their 60s and 70s as they are the only ones who can forecast their availability a year in advance.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank wayne518
Reviewed January 30, 2011

Everything about the Hale Koa Hotel was excellent -- furnishings, cleaniness, staff, location, price -- but don't expect to get a good night's sleep unless you bring along ear plugs. Next door is the Hilton Hawaiian Village which shoots off fireworks, I thought, one night a week. However, during our week's stay, those damn fireworks blasted us out of bed on three different nights. In addition, the Hale Koa has a loud luau one night a week and some sort of nightclub-style show twice a week. The one evening during which nothing was scheduled, a loud party occurred late into the night downstairs, treating us to drunken veterans singing about the caisons rolling along! Even though our room was on the tenth floor, the acoustics of the hotel made all these activities sound like they were happening right on our lanai. If there's a way for the hotel to muffle their own nighttime entertainment as well as strongly encourage the Hilton to cut back on their fireworks, the guests would surely appreciate it.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple