“Location, Location, Location”
Review of Hale Koa Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Honolulu
Hale Koa Hotel
Austin
“Location, Location, Location”
Reviewed August 13, 2010

My wife and I greatly enjoyed our stay at the Hale Koa. Great location and room for a reasonable place, anything else would have been poor quality or cost an arm and a leg. Some recommendations: 1. Bring pillows . . . I read reviews before leaving and the majority of comments suggested we bring pillows, but did not say why. There are two pillows per bed and they are ridiculously small "silly" little pillows, really! 2. Rent a car and find the best price using priceline. We drove everywhere and Oahu is beautiful! Driving around eliminated the thought of doing the helicopter tour. 3. When buying tickets for any of the many activities on the island, go to either the Bellows Air Force Station MWR or the Information, Tickets and Travel (ITT) building on Hickam Air Force Base. Hale Koa tickets are more expensive. We bought tickets for a Dolphin Swim at the Sea Life Park and it was $80 less at Bellows than at the Hale Koa. 3. Do the Sunday Champagne brunch at the Hale Koa. It had more breakfast food than lunch but my wife and I kept walking up to the bar for champagne refills. The amount of champagne we drank more than justified the cost of the brunch. 4. Drink at the Barefoot Bar, drinks might be $7.25 a pop, but that is cheap in Waikiki and the drinks are strong and tropically delicious! 5. Go to the Polynesian Culture Center, but just do the walk through of the 6 villages and 2 exhibits and the night show. The Luau is awful. Possibly, do the luau at the Hale Koa. The food at the Luau's are buffet and not great, not really worth the money. 7. We slept with our porch door open at the Hale Koa, it was so nice with the cool breezes at night. Though, we had to shut the door btw 0400 and 0900 because of the loud service gate banging in the wind and the backing up of the garbage truck in the morning. 8. You will not need a computer. I brought one and didn't use it once. I brought a map for driving directions and for any planning efforts, I just went to the Hale Koa activities desk to ask questions or get brochures. 9. The beach at the Hale Koa is nice and not crowded, BUT . . . go to the Bellows Air Force Station beach, it is a hidden gem. It is not crowded and it is beautiful! Again, rent a car! It pays for itself! 10. Don't be sad about not getting a jeep. In theory, it would be cool, but we actually experienced rain more than we would have liked in Hawaii and it benefited having an economy car. 11. Coffee and pastries at the Hale Koa common area are great for morning breakfast. 12. For dinner, walk down the Hale Koa stairs, turn right at the bottom and walk to Kalakaua Avenue, where are more than enough places to eat! Don't just eat at the Bibas restaurant in the Hale Koa. Good brick oven pizza but there is more our there!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank lem1986

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (643)
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed July 28, 2010

Had a great stay at the Hale Koa. Great family atmosphere. The room was great and the price was Outstanding compared to other hotels in the area. Literally 70 to 80% cheaper then some hotels I saw with bigger and better rooms. PX downstairs has everything you need with good prices.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeremy1019
Pleasant Hill, California
Reviewed July 24, 2010

We stayed at the Hale Koa for 8 days, 7 nights. We stayed in the Ilima Tower. This tower was recently remodeled. The parking if you rent a car is 7 dollars a day. If you are going to rent a car, rent it at the hotel. It is cheaper than reserving online. I checked.
We didn't want to go home. The hotel is in an excellent location. The beach area is very big and not as crowded as further down.The rooms, staff, and the entertainment was excellent.
The Hale Koa is a great place for military families. We felt like everyone there was part of our family. My girls are 20 and 22 years old. They enjoyed being able to swim at the massive pool and of course Happy's snack bar.
The Barefoot bar was a nice place for my hubby to hang out after dinner.
The Luau- The best I've seen. The food was the best I've tasted out of all of the other Luaus we have been to. Book you seat to get the best seats in the house. Bibas- We really liked the food there.
Kokos- a great breakfast place. Side note. if you look at the right side of the menu, there are a la cartes. It took us two days to realize we didn't have to order a buffet. They could have been very expensive. We really love this hotel and already booking for next year. Enjoy

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank Tammy400099
Jacksonville
Reviewed July 6, 2010

This is a military hotel that is well worth the money. I have visited this hotel numerous times and never really been let down.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank mac0529
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed July 4, 2010

Excellent place to stay in waikiki, less expensive than hotels around. This is an Armed Services recreation, so you must have a military or DoD sponsor to stay at this Hotel.

Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LuisGonzalezPR
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Reviewed June 30, 2010

I had read many reviews and wasn't exactly sure what to expect. When I drove up to the hotel, I was amazed. There are a couple of things that I would like to help others.

1) The hotel rooms are great. Of course I have stayed in much fancier places, but they are excellent. Had an Ocean View room and it was everything that I could of asked for. It was worth the $30 extra dollars to wake up and go to bed overlooking the ocean.

2) The food and drink was excellent. We did go out and eat at other places in Waikiki, but what we ate on the resort was great quality and service was great as well. I had ordered one entree and when it was delivered, it was not what I had thought. The waiter without hesitating asked if I wanted to get something else, which I do. Other places I have been would of not as been so customer service friendly.

3) The only thing negative (if you can even say it is negative) about our entire trip was booking excursions on the hotel property. If you have a rental car, you can do most everything for at least half-price of what excursion office offeres. For instance touring the island was like $129, but with rental car, we did it in 1 day and the gas, stopping wherever we wanted and stay as long as we wanted cost us about $50 in gas and food. Snorkeling was offered at several places. We ended up paying $130/person for dolphin viewing and snorkeling. The reef was not great so therefore not a lot of fish. We only saw a few sea turtles, which can be seen up close on the beach on North Shore. If you want to snorkel, take your military ID to Hanauma Bay which is about a 15 minute drive and it is free. You can rent your own snorkel and fins from the beach and I think it was $12 all day. If you go there, go early in the morning before all the sand starts stirring in the water and you will have a much better time and see much more in the water. Pearl Harbor was the same. It didn't cost to park and it was free, but there were offers from excursion to pay $49/person to tour Pearl Harbor and see everything. Take my advice, get a rental car and hit the road. Everything is very easy to find and you can save your money for the fruit/umbrella drinks on Waikiki streets.

4) Wireless Internet is available and I believe it was like $9.95/day

5) Use the PX. Cheaper prices and a great variety of gifts, t-shirts, clothes and anything you will need.

6) I will go back to this resort within 12 months. You cannot beat the price, location and service anywhere.

Hope this helps.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Harleyman39401
Santa Clara, California
Reviewed June 25, 2010

The Hale Koa Hotel, which is only open to members of the military and their families, is a great choice for lodging in Honolulu. The hotel is conveniently located right off of Waikiki Beach, and within walking distance of some great restaurants and other attractions.

It was our first stay at this hotel. The check-in was quick and painless and when they realized it was our first visit they gave us a free upgrade to a Deluxe Oceanfront room. It was located on the 10th floor and had a great view of the ocean and beach and a decent view of the city. The pillows were a little on the small side, but the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was very well appointed. The staff was always very courteous and polite, and very helpful with suggestions about the hotels features. There is a PX located in the hotel which made shopping for snacks and souvenirs very handy as there is no sales tax and the prices were somewhat cheaper than elsewhere in the city. The parking is also less expensive than other hotels in the area, and located across the street from the hotel.

My only regret is that I didn’t have the opportunity to take full advantage of the hotel’s events, such as the Luau and Sunday Brunch, as my stay there was too short, but I intend to stay there again and will try to make it next time. All in all the Hale Koa is an excellent place to stay in Honolulu and I recommend it highly.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple