“Great Place to Stay in Waikiki”
Review of Hale Koa Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Honolulu
Hale Koa Hotel
Reviewed May 25, 2010

I stayed here with 3 friends and the 4 of us were comfortable in the room, even with all of our stuff. It was great having a view of the grounds, the adult pool as well as the ocean from our balcony.

The only complaint was that pillows were pretty small and there were only 2 on each bed where most hotels now have 2 per spot.

The staff was very courteous and helpful at check-in, check-out, baggage storage (we had a late night flight) and the housekeeping staff went above to work around our comings and goings.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank TxMaggie
Write a ReviewReviews (2,018)

Reviewed May 7, 2010

My husband & I stayed here for almost a week and enjoyed it alot. We went to the Luau which to me is the best for the money & you don't have to stand on line, buffet style, to get your food. They serve you at your table. The earliest you can reserve for the Luau the better your seats will be. We were in the old tower and the rooms were small. Next time we go we will request the newer tower. The Hale Koa is located right on the Waikiki beach, so who can complain.For an enjoyable 2 hours one afternoon we listened to the Army Jazz Band. We went on some tours which were good. And, make a day to go to the Navy Excahnge. There is a free shuttle bus that takes you there and back. Check with the front desk for the schedule. All in all, the staff at the Hale Koa were friendly and helpful. And, yes we will definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank AZretiree
Reviewed April 22, 2010

I was with my BF who is active duty military. We were in HI for 9 days. We stayed in the Maile Tower, I was a little disappointed since I wanted to stay in the newer one. The staff made up for this though. We were supposed to have a standard room on the 4th floor, but they upgraded us to the 8th floor and we ended up having a partial oceanview room which was great! The room itself wasn't that bad (we were only there to sleep anyways!) The only gripe I have are the pillows. They're TERRIBLE! They are extremely lumpy and you need more than 1 to use. I hope they change that at some point. The cleaning staff didn't do so great with the cleaning all the time either. There were (long) black hairs in our bathroom and on the beds left behind, and we needed toilet paper at one point since they let it run out all the way before replacing it, even when you 1st check in. They are good at replacing towels though if you need them. But the cleaning itself could've been better. The PX downstairs ended up being a lifesaver. We needed to get bottled water a lot because we weren't used to the climate (we're from New England) and a huge bottle was only $1.09. But - since I was non-military I wasn't allowed to buy anything here, he had to do it all the time which was a bit annoying. If I'm staying as a guest at the hotel, I should be able to buy things at the store! The Koko Cafe had a great breakfast buffet, they were strictly doing buffet-style meals for a few weeks due to renovations, but we only had breakfast there. We weren't too impressed with Bibas, their other restaurant. We had a pizza from there that was so-so, and dinner our first night there since we came in late. Wasn't bad but wasn't too good either. There's plenty of other great restaurants around to go to! Parking is $7/day in the garage across the street which wasn't bad. They have really nice grounds w/pretty flowers and trees all around. Their luau garden was nice, we also went to their luau but Paradise Cove's was much better. (The only real good thing about the luau was Glenn Medeiros, he was a great host and entertainer!) If you want to explore the island more you'll definitely need a car, otherwise you can use The Bus system or the trolleys that are around. We had a car and still walked a lot to check things out around us. The Hilton is only a few steps away and they also have lots of shops, etc. All in all we had a great trip. It was my 1st trip to HI and his 2nd. I would definitely recommend this hotel to any military who's eligible, because you can't beat the price. We also took advantage of a 20% discount on top of our rate since they had a promo running in Apr-May 2010. Definitely check out their website before booking, they have 'hot deals' on there a lot, and you could get an even better rate than they offer already. It was a great experience and the Hale Koa ended up being a wonderful place to stay. We hope to go back in the future!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank redsoxfan77
Reviewed April 20, 2010

Loved my trip to Honolulu and very much enjoyed my stay at Hale Koa...awesome location! Will definitely stay here again during another visit to Hawaii!!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 18, 2010

The room was okay. Room rates are based on rank of the active duty or DOD civilian staying in the room. Our rate was $130 per night for a garden view. Unfortunately, the beds were hard, the pillows were lumpy overall the room needs to be renovated. Apparently the tower we were staying in needed to be renovated. It was the original furniture, etc from 1995 so it was 15 years old. On the morning of the last day of my stay we found mold in various areas in the bathroom outside the shower area. Once we reported this we were moved to the other tower. That tower is nice and updated. The old tower is Maile and the newer tower is Iliame. I would not recommend staying here unless you are able to get the newer tower or they renovate the older tower because you will not be pleased with the beds, etc.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank misshambrick
Reviewed April 13, 2010

This was the first of many trips we plan to make to HI. I had never been before, now I cant imagine loving a place more. The view was amazing, the service excepional and the Koko Cafe's mahi mahi was, well, dreamy. My husband and I are in our mid twenties, and on a rather tight budget, so finding a place to go on our honeymoon was nerve racking. When we settled on HI, I didnt want to go...I wanted to go to Italy. However, I fell in love with the Hale Koa on the internet. I saw a picture and I was hooked. We booked a year in advance and stayed for 10 amazing days. Life isnt always easy, but something about the gardens and beach made life heavenly for a while. I learned something too, after looking up at a pretty palm tree and embarassing myself by saying "Honey look ! Its a pineapple tree!" I have learned that pineapples do not grow on trees! Amazing! Hey, wer'e from VT...

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank StarGazer13
Reviewed April 12, 2010

We have stayed here three times in The first time was because we had to; the second time was for a weekend get away; and the third was to give them another chance. The first time we stayed there it was a positive experience minus the sparking outlets that prompted a room move. The next two times were not so great. Our family loves to come and hang out at the pool for the day but we have noticed very poor and rude customer service from the outdoor staff. The rooms have been renovated in one building but we have yet to be able to get one. Instead we were put in a room where our outlets sparked and the beds were horrible and very old which made for a horrible night of sleeping. I am not sure how one goes about getting a nicely renovated room. Another friend stayed her and had to move rooms twice due to bed bugs.

We have also noticed the lifegaurds texting and flirting which is unprofessional. They should be watching the children in the pool. I realize it is the parents job to do so but when a two year old runs quickly and jumps in a pool and the mother is trying her best to get there yet no lifegaurd (and there were three on staff that day) sees this at all and another parent has to grab the child there is a problem. We have heard many complaints from other parents about this as well.

Pros: It is in a great loation. There is a shoppette and full service salon on site. There are several restaurants on site and many within walking distance. It truly is the best part of the beach on waikiki. The pools are fairly nice. Bar service is nice and nicely priced. I do believe they have the cheapest yet best mai tai on the island. They will do massage by the pool.

Cons: The rooms which are not renovated are unacceptable for the price you will pay. You may be able to get a better deal at another resort/hotel and use your military ID to come down and use the other services such as the pool, bar, etc. The staff at the small walk up places to eat seem to only be kind to males. Females and children are treated quite rudely. I have noticed this not just happen to me but I have watched it happen to many others. The Luau is horrible in comparison to others on the island. Save your money and take it elsewhere.

Overall I would still recommend the hotel with a little lower expectations. Friends have traveled and stayed her and LOVED it. Others are not so impressed. There are a few problems but there seems to be everywhere.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family