“Good Value, but never buy anything at the Post Exchange”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hale Koa Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Honolulu
Hale Koa Hotel
wftorresii
“Good Value, but never buy anything at the Post Exchange”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2009

This is the second time I've stayed at the Hale Koa, the hotel is clean and the hotel service is standard. No one there is going out of their way to insure you have a great stay. That being said, guess should be forewarned that if you buy anything onsite you cannot return it for any reason what so ever even if the item is defective. If you insist that is their fault the manager will start yelling at you and then threaten to call the hotel security (aka the Military Police). They hype up the shopping at the Post Exchange and the benefit of it being tax free at the reception desk, but the manager and the store clerks are downright sickening. The item in question was only around 50 bucks; I decided that it wasn't worth wasting anymore time trying to explain the problem yet again to another party.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
6 Thank wftorresii

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (632)
Chicago suburbs, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2009

Waikiki is far from the best beach in Hawaii - but still a nice place to go. If all the places there were designed like the Hale Koa, Waikiki would be better....first of all, the buildings are not nosing up to the sand like at the Outrigger or others - so you actually have a nice wide section of beach and everyone isn't all crammed together. The grounds are pretty lush and green so there's a nice buffer between sand and buildings. Beautiful. Staff is nice and the facilities are clean. Nice to have been raised an army brat and able to do a nice trip with my dad at a hotel like this. Restaurants and drinks are good too, decent pool and festivities (funny, being in Hawaii and hearing Oktoberfest music - that was great) and I can't think of anything negative to say about the Hale Koa.

• Stayed October 2006
1 Thank RAIMIS2
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2009

I had never been to Hawaii before my Nov 2008 stay at Hale Koa so I had no idea what to expect. I read the reviews on tripadvisor and decided Hale Koa was the best place to stay in Waikiki for the money. The room was very nice (had just been refurbished) and the hotel is in walking distance to everything in Waikiki, which is great. It was easy to take the bus to other tourist attractions (snorkeling) because the bus stop is right outside the hotel. We walked to an Enterprise rental car store (3 blocks from our hotel) because it ended up being much cheaper than the rental agency available in the hotel lobby. Having a rental car made it easy to get to the North Shore and other parts of the island.
Overall, I wasn't very impressed with Waikiki- I think our beaches in Southern California are much nicer. The sand was rough with lots of rocks and the water wasn't very warm. If I go back to Hawaii I will try another island or stay on the North Shore. BUT, if you are planning a trip to Waikiki and can take advantage of the military discount, this is a great hotel. We didn't like the food at the pizza restaurant, but enjoyed the veggie burgers and nachos at the pool bar. It was also easy to get food from the Exchange and take it back to our room (and saved us a lot of money). Don't waste time on the luau- it was nothing special and I've been to much better. Aloha!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mrs_loves_2_travel
Hollissaestep
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2009

However, you must be military to stay here. But, if you are it is EXTREMELY CHEAP for Hawaii. Hotel was AWESOME, with AMAZING RESTAURANTS. Nice Beach, nice pools, PX, friendly staff. Good location...farther away from busy downtown life.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Hollissaestep
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2009

What a wonderful hotel to stay in. This is a military only hotel and I'm so glad I was lucky enough to be married to a military man so we could get into this hotel. It is so centrally located to everything we rented a car before we realized that we really didn't need one. We walked to breakfast, dinner, shopping and the beach was right outside our door. Everyone was so nice and the hotel itself was very clean and appealing. I can't wait to go back, we will never stay at any other hotel but the Hale Koa. I never said the work "AMAZING" so much in my life as I did those 2 weeks at the Hale Koa and Hawaii.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank twan60
Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2009

Husband, 10 year old daughter, and i spent a week here in late July. Absolutely wonderful!!! I debated on staying here or at another of the many "big name" hotels. I will never debate again, I will always stay at Hale Koa. It is a nice resort with a wonderful location. The room was nice and clean. We had a garden room that wad a view of the ocean. The room has a small fridge for drinks and snacks. The restaurants were fine, nothing spectacular, but good. We ate at the hotel at least once a day. The beach snack bar was a little unorganized, but OK. Some patrons were very impatient which was by far more annoying than their lack of organization. The pool was large and clean, always found chairs. They have a wierd deal at the pool by the ocean where they make kids get out for 15 minutes each hour for "adult swim". What?? The adults have their own pool at the hotel closer in toward lobby. If I didn't have kids, that's where I would be. It was no big deal, good time to make the kids get drinks and take bathroom break. The beach was right there, a small running/walking path seperated the hotel from beach. Further down on waikiki beach, the hotels were across a busy street. Had I chose a "big name" hotel, that would have been a big negative. Much easier access at Hale Koa. There was a park/picnic area right there with grills and picnic tables. The luau was great, better by far than I expected. Honestly, I could go on for hours. Just send me a message if you have any questions. Take avantage of all the military only privilages on this island. The Hale Koa did free hula lessons. Bellows air station has cheap lei making lessons, and surfing. I did research before we went and the activities desk has a book of all the military bases and the services they have. Golfers....some of the military courses are on the ocean.....beautiful!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
7 Thank i-luv-2-go-32
Tucson
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2009

Hawaii is fantastic. My husband and I were able to jet away after he returned from the desert. The hotel is right on the beach. We could have just laid on the beach everyday-there was way too much to do in Honolulu. At night, we would take walks around the city. There is a very high end shopping area on the ocean. It was lovely. We ate shaved ice-yummy. We went to the Good Egg which is walking distance from the hotel. Just make sure you have the correct address-they moved. Go to the Polynesian Cultural Center-so fun. Be sure to get tickets from ITT at Hickam. They are much cheaper than what even the hotel will sell them for. There is a nice mall a couple of miles away.
Anyway, we liked that there was an aafes in the hotel. We were able to get snacks and cereal. We had a nice partial ocean view-an unexpected upgrade. It was nice to sit on the balcony and look at the water. The service was good. We ate a quick meal at the hotel. It was ok. There is a luau but we skipped that and went to the one at the Polynesian Cult. Center since it was already part of our package deal. If you want a Starbucks, just walk over to the Hilton next door. You got to stay on the ocean,too, for a cheaper price but you can still walk through their complex.
The hotel was clean-good service. Overall, it was AWESOME! Aloha!!!! BTW, don't forget to include parking in your budgeting. I thinks it's $7 daily. Make sure you have quarters for parking about town, too.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple