“I must be up front...this review is prior to an actual stay...”
Review of Hale Koa Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Honolulu
Hale Koa Hotel
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I lived in Hawaii for four years and although we never stayed at the Hale Koa, we enjoyed their luau, their beach front, their shoppette, the parking when visiting downtown. Upon this review, we had reserved a room at the Hale Koa for a February visit and due to an illness with my traveling partner ( a parent ), had to cancel. Upon attempting to cancel, the folks at the main number never answered the phone upon calling. It was 10am Hawaii time (1pm Washington State time) and although I understand that they could have been really busy, after 30 rings, no one answered the main phone number. Ultimately, I emailed the hotel to cancel my reservation for early February since I could not raise anyone on the phone. Additionally, I had reserved a room for 10 days in February from 2 Feb. through 12 Feb. When attempting to cancel the reservation, we were asked extensively why we were canceling and if it were to a change in orders, travel plans or due to health. I don't know about you but most hotel chains understand cancellations more than three weeks out. I've no idea why the Hale Koa had any reason to know why I needed to cancel a reservation in mid-January for an early February stay. As an Army Officer, I resent that I may have had to pay for a room reserved more than a month out when I had to cancel AND indulge why the cancellation was required. While I appreciate that the military and supposedly the Hale Koa, supports the recreational opportunities for their service members, I am left with a bad taste in my mouth regarding the Hale Koa. If I have opportunity to return to Hawaii for a visit, this is the last place I'd consider staying. Sorry Hale Koa. You blew it!

Room Tip: Make sure you know what their requirements are prior to booking
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank camodoc9
There are newer reviews for Hale Koa Hotel

Reviewed January 9, 2014

The Hale Koa will forever have a place in my heart. When I lived on the island it was the place we went for family days to sit by the pool and have a cocktail or walk the gardens and have a little lunch. I have a lot of memories meeting up with friends for pool days and after I left it was one of the many island spots I missed. In 2011 my husband died and I decided to return with some island friends for a memorial. The Hale Koa offers 50% off rates for military widows and made me feel so welcome (not like an outcast or that I wasn't still a part of the military community) I've been back to stay at the hotel since and have learned that they have hosted T.A.P.S events and many other widows since my initial visit as a newly widowed woman. Every time spent there has been special. Aside from their hospitality, the rooms are good, the breakfast in the morning was the best start to the day for me and another widow I traveled with, and the little barefoot bar was a nice comfort at the end of each day with some concoction made for me that had me sleeping through each night soundly. Also, for Waikiki area, this as inexpensive as parking gets. The grounds are beautiful and, while Waikiki Beach isn't the prettiest, the beach has a lot to offer.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank emelton22
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We had a great stay at the Hale Koa. Our room was on the 10th floor and we had an ocean view from our balcony. We didn't experience any difficulties with checking in, or long line ups at check out. The barefoot bar has amazing sunset views in the evening. We sat and had a drink almost daily. Parking rates were $7 per night. The only thing that I can say that was not acceptable was the wireless internet service. I tried a couple of times to get on my ipad in the lobby. I gave up and just ended using my smartphone for everything. Food was great on site and reasonably priced for the breakfast and snack bars. We will return.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kta99
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

Will definitely stay again. The location couldn't have been better. The travel office had so many tours to choose from it was hard to pick just one. The luau was an amazing experience. The beach was right there. And the restaurants on sight was good too.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anita B
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I have stayed here a few times in the past few years and really enjoy it! The gals at the Barefoot bar have to be the BEST waitresses ever! The pools are awesome, Cocoa's resteraunt, Biba's... ALL wonderful!

Room Tip: Haven't had a "bad" room yet
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank funinthesun444
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Our second stay in this hotel during December. The grounds are stunning. The rooms are spacious. There are some great staff in the hotel however they are let down by a couple of the desk clerks in the lobby that are downright unfriendly, one of the male lifeguards with a beard that runs the pool area like an army camp where we witnessed him upsetting numerous families, and the often unhelpful staff in the barefoot bar. Staff need to remember that the people that stay here have, or are serving their country and put their own lives on the line, they come here to spend quality time with their family and friends so do not need to be confronted with such attitude. Having said that this is still a wonderful place to stay. The hotel do a fabulous Christmas display and there are many activities within the resort. I hope to return. Breakfast is good and the staff are great in cafe Koa. The staff are great in the warriors bar. I do hope the management can address some of the issues that I have brought up.

Stayed: December 2013
5  Thank Deborah S
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Beautiful hotel, gorgeous grounds and beach. 3 restaurants to choose from all with very good food.
View from room included pool and ocean. Enjoyed Starbucks every morning on the lanai where we shared crumbs of our macadamia nut muffins with beautiful tropical birds. They even have a store which sells everything you could need while there. I could have stayed forever!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family