“Luxury at an affordable price.”
Review of Hale Koa Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Honolulu
Hale Koa Hotel
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Because we were sponsored by our brother-in-law, we were fortunate to stay at the Hale Koa last month. What a fantastic experience! Our room was fantastic, the view from our oceanview room was incredible, and the meals we had at Koko's and Bibo's were second to none. The grounds are beautiful and the employees were very pleasant. Thank you, Hale Koa, for a truly amazing stay.

Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Karen T
Write a ReviewReviews (2,055)

Reviewed March 23, 2013

If your staying in Honolulu this is the best bet for military! Full-on resort, on the beach in Waikiki, at rates less than you find on some interstate motels in the middle of nowhere. The rooms viewing the ocean directly are obviously more, but my room barely had a view of the ocean and it still had a nice view of the Koolau Mtns. This place has everything. A little BX/Commissary, restaurant, bars, gym, multiple pools, landscaped grounds and everything in Honolulu is close.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Richard-Julie_K
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in Keneohe Bay MCAS, and one night here. Keneohe Bay was more like in the country and here it was like being in Downtown area.
Great area and lots to do. Had to get a souvenir Hard Rock Cafe guitar pin for my sister.
The rooms were nice. Heard it was old but newly renovated. We had a Suite which was 2 rooms but only one bathroom in the master bedroom and a kitchen in between.
The middle room where the kitchen and dining area was had a pullout couch as did the second bedroom. We had to call for bedding so I could make the bed for my son.
Heard these suites 'used to be' 2 or 3 rooms but now a suite hence the odd layout and one bathroom. It was ok for us.
Kitchen had frig, basic pots and pans, glasses, mugs and silverware and utensils so good to buy and prepare your own food if you are on a budget.
The commisary store was good for souvenirs (Keneohe prices were better by a little bit) and quite large. Had everything you could want for a souvenir.
Grounds are lush with LOTS of greenery. Saw 2 swimming pools. The jacuzzi is in the 'adult only' pool area. Kids pools was not too far from that.
On the morning we left I saw a group getting hula lessons in the lobby area. The hotel is right on the water so great location if you want ocean water vs. pool water.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Momplayinghookie
Reviewed March 19, 2013

It had been several years since we stayed at the Hale Koa and were pleasantly surprised at how nice the renovations to the room were. We were having relatives join us & I had warned them that the room might not be the most luxurious they had ever stayed it....I must say it was way better than the Westin Resort & Spa on Maui!
We did have a bad experience at the Koko Cafe....see my review of that establishment. Also, drinks at the Barefoot Bar could have had a little more liquor in them....I'm a fairly light-weight drinker but even after 3 Koala Bears....not even a buzz.
The grounds were spotless & beautiful, the Spa Retreat package at The Point was terrific!
We had an ocean view room with a great view from both the room & the lanai.
So glad we had the chance to come back to the Hale Koa...hope to do so again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank fpgirl
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My father is retired Air Force and my parents have been staying at the Hale Koa annually for the last 20 or so years. My wife, son and I finally got the chance to join them this year and were very impressed with the resort. We stayed in the Maile tower which is actually the newer tower but the older tower, Llima, has been more recently renovated. If you've read any of my other reviews you would know that I am a hotel snob so I was kind of unsure about staying in the tower that hadn't been updated recently. The room still turned out to be quite nice. It did show some wear in places but it was very clean and had a large flat screen tv, refridgerator and a nice balcony. We were actually upgraded to a corner room on the 11th floor that was considered a garden view but the view was more of the city and the mountains in the distance. The cool thing was that the balcony wrapped around and when you walked around the corner we had an ocean view. And I thought the lights of the city at night were cool. No in room wifi.

One of the great things about staying here is that there is a military PX right on site. Even though we weren't military my dad was our sponsor so we got temporary ID's to be able to shop there. The PX has everything that you may need for your trip including cloths, toiletries, groceries, liquor, beer, souvenirs, and even a jewelry store...and the prices are better than you'll find anywhere else around.

The Barefoot Bar on the beach was my favorite part of the resort. The Mai Tai's are the best! By the way, your room key gets you a discount there so it's also the cheapest place to drink while you are out. No alcohol allowed on the beach but you are right next it sitting here. Great people watching! They have local talent play there every night. Bought a couple of CD's from my favorites. Watching the sun set, listening to live music and drinking Mai Tai's...nothing better.

Did the Luau on a Monday night. Very nice. The fire dancing at the end was my favorite part. There were some activites going on before dinner on the lawn, ceremony for pulling the pig out of the pit, free Mai Tai and shell lei on the way in. It was the only Luau I've ever been to so not much to compare it to but I can tell you that price wise it was a bargain compared to some of the others I saw. The food was just okay but the pork was great.

Don't miss the magic show and buffet. We really enjoyed that. Mark Mauricio is an awesome magician and very funny guy as well. The buffet had a lot of food options and was very good.

Ate breakfast a couple of times at the Koko Cafe. Most things were good but a few things needed some work...like the bacon. I'm a bacon guy and it was mostly just a large greasy clump. And the one toaster is the slowest I've ever encountered. Nice omelet station though, the scrambled eggs were the best I'd ever had on a buffet, fruit fresh, lots of choices. Pretty decent overall. Only ate at the other restaurant Biba's once. It was pretty good. The snack bar, Happy's, was a good place to grab some food and head to the Barefoot Bar. My son loved the pizza and slushies. The spicy wings are awesome...ask for them, they are usually cooked to order.

I stayed there for 7 days and loved it. Stayed next door at the Hilton Hawaiian Village for the last two nights (I'll review that when I get a minute). Much nicer room at the Hilton but I would actually come back to the Hale Koa. It felt like home after a week and you can't beat the pricing. If you have been in the military or are traveling with someone who has stay here!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are nice because the balcony wraps around the building for two views. Only one side is...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Vikings2010
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is the escape we will never forget. So relaxing. People come year after year,stories are told, friends are made, even though we only know our first names. I met Marta by her hat. There are 4 places to eat. right on the grounds. Happys snack bar has breakfast through dinner, kids meals included. 2 nice restaurants ,1 serving 3 meals daily and one a dinner place with outdoor dining, there is a limited daily menu in the bar.

Room Tip: fireworks from the neighbor hotel can be seen from in the old building
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank cavegirl54
Reviewed March 15, 2013

The Hale Koa Hotel is one of those unique and splendid experiences that one wishes all vacation were. It's location on Waikiki Beach makes it The Best Property in Oahu! With 75 acres of park & beachfront, a huge family pool, an adults only pool with jacuzzi, 5 restaurants, etc, etc. Not too mention - the best Mai Tai anywhere at the Barefoot bar!

Room Tip: I recommend an inside garden view room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple