“Great views. Great Food. Happy Place.”
Review of Hale Koa Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Honolulu
Hale Koa Hotel
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Very busy hotel and I see why...I really enjoyed my stay at the Hale Koa. The staff is very friendly and accomodating. Such a beautiful view from the moment you drive pass security. Great location. Walking distance to almost everything and a very safe area. Lots of picture taking at this hotel. A two minute beautiful nature walk behind the hotel landed us right on the beach. Our rooms were comfortable. The balcony area was very peaceful and great to see the city views at night. Wi-fi was an issue, so many connections around, so be sure to connect and pay for the right one! I felt a little confined in the bathroom area. Not much closet space if your traveling for long periods of time. The hotel parking is across the street , so you might consider valet parking. Overall, you can do almost anything at this hotel , from learning the Island dances to a good workout.

Room Tip: Their Cod, is amazing, freshly prepared everytime we ordered it! Daily!!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Equal-Platforms
Write a ReviewReviews (2,041)

Reviewed February 23, 2013

I came here with my family a few years ago. I have been craving to come back ever since. My favorite part of the hotel is the breakfast buffet in the mornings. Fresh fruit and they would make your omelts right in front of you. The rooms were spacious and had great views. The giant tree growing in the middle of the hotel is to cool! When i come back i will be at the Hale Koa.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Nathan P
Reviewed February 23, 2013

This hotel is operated by the Department of Defense for military familes. It is fantastic. Never a disappointment. We stayed in the old tower, it is starting to show its age. My sister and her husband stayed in the new tower and it was wonderful. I wish they had Wi-Fi in the rooms, but that is a minor complaint. There is a BX on site, prices are not great though. I will review the restaurants seperately. This is a can't miss facility.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank TheFantailChef
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel. Has everything a person needs. Places to eat, lots of shows to watch. If your thinking of staying here, do it, you wont be disappoint. Rooms are clean with a balcony to look at the beautiful island views. Our first stay here, we will be coming back.

5  Thank nodakfarmgirl
Reviewed February 18, 2013

People who have posted petty complaints about the Hale Koa are the type of people who will never be satisfied. This is the absolute best value for your money in Waikiki. We were able to get two rooms for our family of 5 for the price of one room at the other hotels on the same beach. The amenities are great and subsidized so very affordable food, drinks, beach equipment rentals can be found here as well. Being able to stay here is a privilege only for military members and their families. The facilities and grounds are beautiful and clean. Lovely pool, great beach bar, several restaurants and two mini marts. You may be able to get something super fancy at another hotel down the beach, but you will pay twice as much. The luau was lots of fun and the food good and plentiful. Tip: Reserve far in advance and double check and confirm your reservation dates before you leave. They lost our reservation, but were able to scramble and find two ajoining rooms. Disaster averted, but next time I will be calling them again to re-confirm before I leave home. This is a very busy hotel that is almost always booked solid and mistakes happen.

Room Tip: Book way in advance. You can always cancel if you change your mind.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank coffee02
Reviewed February 16, 2013

In January my brother and I flew to Honolulu Hawaii we stayed at the Hale Koa Hotel. This is a US Army R & R Hotel for the military personal and their familys. My nephew is stationed in Honolulu and got us great rates. The hotel and grounds was well kept and had lots of things to do. They had a Luau, and spent lots of time on the beach. I walked to many near by museums and atractions. I have a trip book to return to Waikiki beach in April at Astro Waikiki Beachside Hotel I will see more of this beautiful city. I can't wait till i get back there.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank JohnstanII
Reviewed February 12, 2013

So after some deliberation as to where we should spend Christmas 2012 and New Years, my wife and I decided on Hawaii. It was June 2012 and I contacted the Hotel Hale Koa on the island of Oahu, Honolulu, on Waikiki beach. I was told by the receptionist that Christmas and New Years was booked solid (usually a year out) and that I had the option of putting my name on a waiting list. I asked what the odds were and was told less than 50%. Figuring I had nothing to lose so I asked to put my name on the list. In November I received an unexpected email from the hotel informing me we had an ocean view room and in order to preserve our reservation, I had to put a deposit down for the first night. After making round trip flight arrangements from Virginia to Oahu, I contacted carrental8.com and got an outstanding rental car rate. The flight over was long however once we landed on Oahu, we knew it was worth it. We arrived at the Hale Koa and were amazed at the attention to detail put into the abundant holiday decorations, the general holiday atmosphere, the openness of the main lobby, and the cheerful demeanor of the tropically dressed wait staff. The check in clerk greeted us with ‘Aloha’ and took the time to explain all that the hotel offered in the ways of entertainment, amenities, restaurants, pools and the ‘Bare Foot Bar’ on the beach. Our room was in the Malie Tower on the 8th floor with an amazing view of the Pacific Ocean. Our room was air conditioned, tastefully decorated with a Hawaiian motif, flat screen TV, desk, and a floor to ceiling glass door leading out to the ‘lanai’ balcony. After putting our luggage away we toured the grounds and were amazed at how well the manicured grounds were, the general relaxed atmosphere, and the temperature. We ended up at the Bare Foot Bar and enjoyed tropical drinks by the beach while looking at Diamond Head in the near distance. Our stay was fantastic and would recommend the Hale Koa to anyone looking to spend quality time in a great location at a very affordable price.

Room Tip: Stay above the 7th floor in the Malie Tower, ocean view for the best sunsets.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple