“Wonderful for the Price”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hale Koa Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Honolulu
Hale Koa Hotel
Spring Grove, Virginia
“Wonderful for the Price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just got back from a wonderful trip to Hawaii. We stayed one night at the Hale Koa before heading to Kauai. The rooms are a bit dated but, who cares? It is located right next to the Hilton where we stayed after we returned from Kauai. Yes, the Hilton is "sexier" but the Hale Koa can't be beat! If you are active duty or retired you should take advantage of this gem. We have reservations for a longer stay here in March and are looking forward to it.

Stayed January 2013
1 Thank TLSpurling

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (632)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

We had a speculation sunset view from our room, gracious staff, terrific services and restaurants. The Luau was delicious and show excellent. A guest required medical assistance during dinner and the staff handled it masterfully and emergency response crew got there super fast. Impressive! Overall a top class resort.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank RoxyAK
south carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

My sister and I stayed here for 5 days, we had a great time, location close to everything, we walked all over and felt safe, lots of shopping, rooms were updated, food was a great value, if your military, stay here, I would go back..oh and Happy Hour is hopping and fun..

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank maraffi
Puyallup
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

It's been several years since we have stayed here, but the Hale Koa remains a wonderful place to stay. Our room was on the 13th floor, partial ocean view. Enjoyed coffee on the lanai every morning. Every Friday, the Hilton Hawaiian Village next door has a great fireworks display and we had the perfect view right from our lanai. Only problem with our room (1307) was that we were above the drive where tour buses pick up at the Hawaiian Village, so we could here the "beep, beep" as they backed up. But, hey, it was still a great place. Room had a small coffee maker and small refrigerator (no freezer). We were able to keep milk, fruit, etc in the fridge and so have cereal, fruit for breakfast in our room. Exchange downstairs has limited food items, but we were able to cut costs a bit by buying some foods for breakfast, lunch. Subway is just down the beach at end of Ft. DeRussey. Happy's is on site for snacks, light meals and of course the two restaurants, Koko's and Bibas. Both are great. Anyway, great hotel, lovely grounds, easy walk to everywhere Waikiki. We rented beach umbrellas + 2 lounges on the beach for several days. Perfect way to enjoy the beach.

Room Tip: Have always stayed in the older building and am told these rooms are a bit bigger. Higher floors are...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bodori
Spartanburg, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed in the Hale Koa during our 2012 Christmas trip to Hawai’i. Though we only there two nights, we had a very pleasant stay. The rooms are not elegant but are adequate and very well appointed. The bellmen, front desk, wait staff, housekeepers, and all others, with whom we came into contact, were friendly, courteous, and very helpful. The hotel was decorated for Christmas and the displays were very well done. We attended a breakfast, the morning after our arrival, which featured some entertainment and a briefing on the activities for the coming week. There is shuttle service from the hotel and nearby stops to most of the major attractions and to shopping activities. We enjoyed the beach and the pools. Parking is convenient though it is across the street from the hotel. The food at the in-house restaurants is good but not great. I would highly recommend staying at the Hale Koa when visiting Honolulu. My wife and I plan to return in the near future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kavikanui
Fort Washington, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

I have stayed at the Hale Koa the past consecutive 5 years, booking 1 year in advance due to its high bookings. You must be military or DoD connected to be able to stay at this Waikiki beachfront hotel. This hotel is not government subsidized and the rates are pro-rated according to rank. For example, our junior enlisted can stay in a standard room for $91.00. The same room would cost an officer $118.00 for the same room. This applies for the ocean view at $125.00 for the junior enlisted and $162.00 for the officer. Members of the military understand this structure and embrace it, providing our junior folks and their families a wonderful respite in Paradise for a lower cost. It is a mistake to compare the Hale Koa to the Hilton Hawaiian Village next door, although I have to say the Hale Koa's strip of Waikiki and 72-acres location of Ft. DeRussy surpasses the Hilton. Those who have stayed at 5-star hotels and used to flatscreens in the bathroom, robes and slippers, turndown service, and 800 Egyptian cotton treadcounts will be disappointed. However, I don't think you can get all that for $222.00 per night, which is the cost of the most expensive room, the Delux Ocean View facing Diamond Head, at the Hale Koa. You also won't be in "The House of the Warrior," and vacationing with America's Finest. You can be rest assured that every person in the hotel will have your back because the military is a family in itself. I'm not sure you can say that about any other hotel. As for the hotel itself, I love being at the Hale Koa. Nothing about it says military except for the BX's low cost and tax-free items, which surprisingly even your sponsored guests can enjoy. My husband and I have stayed in both towers and it just depends on which view you prefer. I do agree with other reviews that the pool and bars close a bit early especially if you are used to hanging out until the wee hours...after all, you're in Paradise, who needs to sleep? I've always raved about the Hale Koa and given it my highest rating for location, beachfront, and value. You can cut across Ft. DeRussy park and be on the main street of the shopping district. The parking garage is literally across the street. Those amongst us who have been in the military, its a "best-kept secret" that's not so secret. It's my favorite address after my home address and we plan to go every year!

Room Tip: Try to get a room that faces Diamond Head. At sunrise and sunset, the views are spectacular. If you...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank EvietheIslandGirl
Simi Valley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

I didn't know much about this hotel until I actually arrived in Honolulu, Hawaii. My friend reserved the room since he's a retired military personnel. The hotel is on the beach of Waikiki and the location couldn't be better. It's close to everything, including the Ala Moana Mall and Diamond Head. There's convenient buses you can catch right in front of the hotel and if you rented a car like myself, there's a secured parking structure across the street The restaurant inside the hotel is great and the price is reasonable. The rooms are clean. We have one with a balcony overlooking the beach and it was awesome. My stay at the hotel was totally satisfactory!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends