“Great stay at the Hale Koa”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hale Koa Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Honolulu
Hale Koa Hotel
Okinawa, Japan
“Great stay at the Hale Koa”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2007

We just returned from 10 days in Oahu, with 8 nights at the Hale Koa resort and 2 nights at the Pacific Beach Hotel.

Positives: Beautiful grounds, great rates for Waikiki Beach area, rooms are large and comfortable with nice balconies, room service available from on-site restaurants is only an additional $1 charge, two uncrowded pools with plenty of beach chairs, spacious uncrowded beach, located next door to Hilton Hawaiin Village with many additional shopping and eating choices, activities desk to help schedule tours and services, quick and convenient check-in/out, PX on grounds, Barefoot Beach Bar with disco nights, good island drinks (Lava Flow was my fav), nice fitness center with classes and trainers available, good tennis courts and overall staff is friendly and helpful!

Negatives: No coffee maker in rooms, On-site restaurants are just ok (Bibas and Koko's Cafe), Entertainment in Warriors Lounge is aimed at the older crowd (which is fine because our retirees deserve it!), pools close at 8pm and finally the beds are pretty hard but more comfortable than the Pacific Beach Hotel's beds.

Overall, it was a great stay and I wouldn't hesitate to take advantage of this wonderful benefit!

• Liked — The price, location and grounds
  • Disliked — The beds
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank farrahfaucet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (632)
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2007

The Hale Koa was the perfect place to stay for our long weekend getaway in Oct. 2007. The location was superb- your backyard is the clear, beautiful, pacific ocean. You can walk to downtown Honolulu and shop till you drop and walk along the beautiful beach of Waikiki. We visited other Waikiki hotels and felt that compared to the Hale Koa where you get a private resort/paradise feeling, other Waikiki hotels can feel packed and crowded. The Hale Koa also have some little perks such as an exchange that is open until 11:00 at night. The exchange was a great place to buy souvenirs tax free. They carry pretty much the same souvenirs that you would find in the hundreds of ABC stores in town. All in all, we really enjoyed our stay in Hale Koa. No other Waikiki hotel can beat the services and location of the Hale Koa for the price you pay!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank luv2travel16
Dupont, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2007

We had a great time at the Hotel. Although the room is a bit dated and "it's just a hotel room." Don't go in expecting some posh 5 star hotel with a spectacular kitchen family area and separate bedroom. The location and amenities are worth the money. We were in the older tower which is just now beginning renovations. We didn't notic any noice since they just started and we were only there in the mornings to swim. You can't stay anywhere else on the Beach for the Price. The gym is good (free to hotel guests). The beach at the Hale Koa/Hilton Hawaiian Village is the best on Waikiki, unless you want to walk down to Alamoana Park (.5mi away). Its the widest section on Waikiki. The pool opens at 0800 so my kids would go to the beach from 0700 to 0900 and then the pool for a bit. I definitely recommend getting a car and travel the Island. We went to the North Shore Haunama Bay, Sandy Beach, The Dole plantation and many other places. If you stay in Honolulu you'll miss out on so much more that Oahu can offer. When traveling to other beaches you can sign out towels from the pool at 0800 as long as you return them by 2000 later that night - otherwise you'll be charged $10/towel. Or you can sign them out from the gym at 0600 and have them back by 2100. We used the shoppette to buy snacks and breakfast for the kids. We did not eat at any of the restaurants in the hotel. The pool bar has the strongest, cheapest drinks on Waikiki. The pool is a nice size and has a good area for the kids. Changing from the pool to the beach to the pool back to the beach only takes a few minutes when the kids change their minds. Parking is $6/day. You'll get a parking pass from the front desk to park across the street at the garage. Our trip was great and we basically just used the hotel as staging area to see the island. I would definitely stay here again if we go back to Oahu.

• Liked — Location and Prise
  • Disliked — Rooms were a bit out of date
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
10 Thank 4enginewhale
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2007

We just returned from our trip to Hawaii and we had a wonderful time. My husband and I were accompanied by our two children aged 7 and 9. We homeschool our kids so it is nice to take vacations during the school year when it is a little cheaper and not as crowded.

The Hale Koa is a wonderful hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful. We had booked an ocean view room and I call several times before we arrived to see if we could get an ocean front room but we didn't have any luck. We arrived at the Hale Koa around 12:30 and our room wasnt ready so they kept our luggage for us. We left to purchase tickets at the ITR office on the Pearl Harbor base. It is only about 15 minutes away and the prices were cheaper than those offered at the hotel. We returned to check in at 3 pm and they were able to upgrade us to oceanfront in the Maile tower. It was a nice room with an amazing view! I agree with other reviewers. The hotel and grounds are a lot nicer than the guestrooms, but we spent very little time in our room so it really didnt matter. The day we arrived at Hale Koa (Oct. 15th), they were starting to renovate the Illima tower. They were working on the lobby area and the 2nd floor guest rooms. So I think that the Ilima tower will be very nice when the renovations are completed.

We ate at the restaurants and they were okay. Room service was nice. We made the mistake of getting the breakfast buffet at Kokos. I think it would have been better to order breakfast. The people that ordered breakfast looked a lot happier than those of us who ordered the buffet. A wonderful place to eat breakfast is Wailana Coffee House. The service, food, and the prices were great. You can walk there from the hotel.

The Luau at the Hale Koa was great. The food and entertainment was good. They also started a new kid's program on Wednesday mornings. My kids loved it. It was $20 for the first child and $15 for the second one. It was about 2 1/2 hours long and worth it. My husband and I had a massage while the kids got a chance to play with other kids. I didn't think that there would be other kids for my children to play with but I guess since this hotel caters to the military, there were a lot of other homeschoolers there as well.

We also booked the Enoa Pearl Harbor Circle Island tour. They pick you up at Hale Koa and take you around the island. It was nice because we got a chance to see the places that we were interested in revisiting. We rented a car for the week at the airport. We took the kids back to Dole plantation to do the maze. We had a fantastic time. We also went to the Polynesian Cultural Center and the kids loved it. I was a little nervous about doing Diamond Head since my son is only 7. We all climbed it and my son was ahead of all of us! I guess he is in better shape than I am.

I know this review is long but hopefully it will help those of you who are travelling with kids. I appreciate all of the advice that I received prior to my trip and I believe your advice helped us plan a vacation we will all remember. Thank you fellow travelers and the Hale Koa for a memorable trip to a beautiful island.

• Liked — Military
  • Disliked — Rooms
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank travellingwests
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2007

We stayed at the Hale Koa Hotel from 10/4 - 10/17. We absolutely loved it. I called last year to reserve a deluxe oceanfront room. We wanted the best view since this was a special 25th wedding anniversary trip. It was definitely worth it, and this room also has a king size bed. I understand all the rooms are of similar size, so if (when!) we go again, we may request a regular ocean view room to save a few dollars to spend on other things. The room was very clean and comfortable. We called housekeeping to request extra pillows and they were promptly and courteously brought up. The grounds of the hotel are beautifully landscaped and the beach was never crowded. There are lots of rocks in some parts of the ocean floor, so I did buy "pool shoes" at the PX. My husband had already brought his and his snorkeling equipment. The PX was very convenient for picking up things we needed throughout our stay.
There are several places to eat on the hotel property. We really enjoyed both Biba's and Koko Cafe. Happy's Snack Bar is good for food when at the beach or pool and they have soft serve cones. We ate one night at the Hale Koa Room for a special dinner and although it was good, I would not eat there again. The other restaurants mentioned were more to our liking and not nearly as expensive.
We had drinks several times at the Barefoot Bar right next to the beach. Try the Lava Flow! We visited the Warrior's Lounge on a karaoke night and another night when Gonzales was playing music . It was relaxing and a lot cooler on those really warm nights, but there weren't many people in there and we preferred the Barefoot Bar. Make sure to get tickets early for the Hale Koa Luau. You also need to make reservations for the Sunday Champagne Brunch. Room service if offered and only a $1 service charge is added to the actual price of the food (of course you should still tip the deliverer!)
The adult pool was nice and there was a hot tub in that area. I just wish it stayed open later than 8:00pm! You can sign out as many towels for the beach or pool as needed, they just need to be returned by 8:00pm.
We found everyone on the staff to be friendly and helpful. We had a fabulous time and did not want to leave. We would go back to the Hale Koa in a minute!

• Liked — Perfect location on beach, beautiful grounds, lots to do
  • Disliked — Pools close too early
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
13 Thank MissusT
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2007

Overall, I really liked the Hale Koa and would return for many reasons.

First of all, it is not a ritzy glamourous hotel, nor did I expect it to be. The rooms are very average in decor, but clean and comfortable. The grounds are large and very lush, lots of trees and flowers. Very pretty.

The location of the hotel is by far the best on the beach. There is a large grassy area with trees between the hotel and the beach with many picnic tables. We spent a lot of time lounging in the shady grass after having enough of the sun. Great feature. The beach itself was nice and wide, especially compared to other locations. Some of the hotels down the way don't even have usable beach, much to my surprise. Great shopping and food are very close by.

The restaurants there are average, but I expected that and didn't mind the food. When we wanted a higher end meal, there were plenty of fabulous restaurants just a short walk away. I thought the luau was really good there, and we went to several including the Polynesian Cultural Center. Liked the Hale Koa's much better! There is an outdoor bar with lots of tables, fun to relax at in the evening. On the ground level there is a great small take-out type restaurant that has cheap eats when you just want a snack. Some groceries are available at the exchange which is very convenient.

The pools were great! There were several, including an adult pool. Never had a problem finding a lounge chair as I have at many other resorts. Spent a lot of time there!

So, even though the Hale Koa isn't the most glamourous or contemporary, it is a really a great place to stay overall. The price cannot be beat. We had an oceanfront room for $120. An oceanfront room at other resorts will cost three times as much. I definitely recommend!

• Liked — Location, price
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank JennyK
Aspen, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2007

The location of this hotel is the absolute best in Waikiki. We walked the entire beach front and no other hotel's beach site even comes close to the majesty of this one. This land has been owned by the government for over 100 years and it is prime. Wide, white sands with lapping waves and easy access. Absolutely stunning gardens. Literally just minutes from your hotel room door. As in all of Hawaii, there is no alcohol allowed on any beach, but you you can take food, etc. Primetime sports is located right on the beach that will rent chairs, floats, kayaks, boats,etc. They also give surfing lessons for only $40 pp. Both my son and husband learned how to surf and the instructors were great. They give a discount for staying at the Hale Koa.

The pool is fabulous. It is a mixture of salt water and chemicals but is very nice. I read in another review that anyone can use it and that was not the case this week. They checked our room keys and put bands on our arms to allow us in. There were times when there were only 10 people at the entire pool during the weekday. (Oct 5-13).

Hawaii is very expensive but the amenities at this hotel cannot be beat for the price. We checked at other hotels and drinks and snacks were at least double the price of the Hale Koa. Every afternoon it was nachos and shave ice for under $10 for 3 of us. Restaurants were very well priced. On October 1, 2007, all of the rates increased for the rooms and food though.

The luau was gorgeous and under $40 for food and program. Their luau garden is where most of the weddings are, as it is paradise. If you are military there are many things to take advantage of. First of all the PX, everything you would need at a cheaper price and no tax. Be prepared to always show military ID. Grap a styrofoam cooler for $2, fill it with ice and drinks for the week and you will save a bundle. There is an activities office but you can often get better prices by going to Pearl Harbor NEX to get discounts at the ITT office for military. Virtually every business offers a military discount. Hilo Hatties offers 30% for your entire purchase. Since it was the US, we were able to purchase an Entertainment book on line and we saved about $100 on activities and dining. It was well worth the money. ($35).

Now to the hotel itself. There are 2 towers, one was the original built in 75 and the new one was built in 98 (Mailie). They started renovations on the older tower on Oct 13, 2007. We stayed in the new tower with an ocean view. This is not ocean front, only ocean view so keep that in mind. The room was adequate, not gorgeous and pretty plain. The housekeeping was horrible. We complained the 2nd day and saw just minor improvement. The only thing they did was make the bed and leave towels. They didn't even give us clean glasses. This was pretty much our only disappointment. Parking is across the street for only $6.00 per day compared to $15.00 per day for the Hilton which is right next door.

Btw, the Hilton Hawaiian complex is stunning. We went over there quite a few times. They have 20 restaurants and probably 100 stores. They also have fireworks every night at 7:30 which is at virtually the same beach as the Hale koa.

All in all a fabulous resort and you would be crazy not to stay if you are military. Even if you are an officer the prices are 1/2 of others in the same area. The prices and location cannot be touched for anything that compares in Honolulu. Things not miss in Honolulu:

1. Pearl Harbor
2. Hanauma Bay
3. Drive to the North Shore
4. A Hawaiian Luau
5. Waikiki Beach

Go to Hawaii....stay at this hotel....have an amazing vacation!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The housekeeping
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family