“The Best Beach on WAIKIKI”
Review of Hale Koa Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Honolulu
Hale Koa Hotel
Reviewed October 14, 2007

The location of this hotel is the absolute best in Waikiki. We walked the entire beach front and no other hotel's beach site even comes close to the majesty of this one. This land has been owned by the government for over 100 years and it is prime. Wide, white sands with lapping waves and easy access. Absolutely stunning gardens. Literally just minutes from your hotel room door. As in all of Hawaii, there is no alcohol allowed on any beach, but you you can take food, etc. Primetime sports is located right on the beach that will rent chairs, floats, kayaks, boats,etc. They also give surfing lessons for only $40 pp. Both my son and husband learned how to surf and the instructors were great. They give a discount for staying at the Hale Koa.

The pool is fabulous. It is a mixture of salt water and chemicals but is very nice. I read in another review that anyone can use it and that was not the case this week. They checked our room keys and put bands on our arms to allow us in. There were times when there were only 10 people at the entire pool during the weekday. (Oct 5-13).

Hawaii is very expensive but the amenities at this hotel cannot be beat for the price. We checked at other hotels and drinks and snacks were at least double the price of the Hale Koa. Every afternoon it was nachos and shave ice for under $10 for 3 of us. Restaurants were very well priced. On October 1, 2007, all of the rates increased for the rooms and food though.

The luau was gorgeous and under $40 for food and program. Their luau garden is where most of the weddings are, as it is paradise. If you are military there are many things to take advantage of. First of all the PX, everything you would need at a cheaper price and no tax. Be prepared to always show military ID. Grap a styrofoam cooler for $2, fill it with ice and drinks for the week and you will save a bundle. There is an activities office but you can often get better prices by going to Pearl Harbor NEX to get discounts at the ITT office for military. Virtually every business offers a military discount. Hilo Hatties offers 30% for your entire purchase. Since it was the US, we were able to purchase an Entertainment book on line and we saved about $100 on activities and dining. It was well worth the money. ($35).

Now to the hotel itself. There are 2 towers, one was the original built in 75 and the new one was built in 98 (Mailie). They started renovations on the older tower on Oct 13, 2007. We stayed in the new tower with an ocean view. This is not ocean front, only ocean view so keep that in mind. The room was adequate, not gorgeous and pretty plain. The housekeeping was horrible. We complained the 2nd day and saw just minor improvement. The only thing they did was make the bed and leave towels. They didn't even give us clean glasses. This was pretty much our only disappointment. Parking is across the street for only $6.00 per day compared to $15.00 per day for the Hilton which is right next door.

Btw, the Hilton Hawaiian complex is stunning. We went over there quite a few times. They have 20 restaurants and probably 100 stores. They also have fireworks every night at 7:30 which is at virtually the same beach as the Hale koa.

All in all a fabulous resort and you would be crazy not to stay if you are military. Even if you are an officer the prices are 1/2 of others in the same area. The prices and location cannot be touched for anything that compares in Honolulu. Things not miss in Honolulu:

1. Pearl Harbor
2. Hanauma Bay
3. Drive to the North Shore
4. A Hawaiian Luau
5. Waikiki Beach

Go to Hawaii....stay at this hotel....have an amazing vacation!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
16  Thank Travelingtheworld61
Write a ReviewReviews (2,053)

Reviewed October 5, 2007

I've stayed at the Hale Koa for a week and I have to say, its a beautiful hotel with comfortable outside lounges, restaurants, and a pretty nature walk to the beach. The Postal Exchange downstairs had pretty much every souvenirs that other stores outside the hotel, but for a lot less and no tax! The beach was incredibly less crowded on Hale Koa's side than the Royal Hawaiian's part of Waikiki Beach. I had some problems with the people at the hotel being courteous to their guests. The rooms are spacious and nice, but the pillows on the bed were very lumpy!I called housekeeping to request another pillow, but they were extremely rude to me on the phone.

Half of one of the hotel's main towers is facing the side of the park, and the generator below was extremely loud and it was really hard to go outside on the balcony to enjoy the warm breezes and look out at Honolulu's skyline. It was loud even with the door closed! I thought that was really disappointing.

But hey, you're only paying $100 a night right? Unfortunately it is a military hotel only and you have to go with someone who or was involved in the military.

• Stayed: September 2007
2  Thank caitcid
Reviewed September 26, 2007

I stayed with my sister and neice at the Hale Koa in August. It was fantastic, the beach , the food, the staff. If I had one complaint it would be that we were in the "old tower" and the air conditioning was not very cold. We loved the beach and everything about the hotel. I would definetly go back!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
8  Thank chrise4983
Reviewed September 22, 2007

We stay at the Hale Koa at least once a year for a week. The rooms do need remodeling, but are clean and comfortable. The staff is very friendly and immediately took care of anything we needed. We didn't rent a car this time so spent most of the time at the Hale Koa. What a treat to sit by the Adult Pool, read a book and watch the Brides go by in their gowns to marry on the premises (at least one a day). We were lucky enough to see the Thunderbirds perform for the Air Force 60th Anniversary. They flew right over our balcony which made for great pictures. The staff at Bibas, Kokos Cafe and Happy's are all friendly and efficient. The Luau is fantastic. Best one on the island for the money. Have tried other hotels, but always go back to the Hale Koa.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
15  Thank DGLions
Reviewed September 15, 2007

The rooms are a bit outdated, true, and we couldn't get a king bed ( booked 6 mos. in advance), but the grounds are lovely, beach beautiful, restaurants reasonably priced with great food.
Entire staff very helpful. Hotel very quiet at night, never heard my neighbors once.
Would definately return!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
10  Thank trip46
Reviewed September 14, 2007

First, let me say that the hotel does have a lot to offer. The restuarant, Bibas, is prettty good. The signature restaurant, Hale Koa Room, is good as well. The best part about the hotel is their Bare Foot bar and decent prices. They have the best mai tai's and under five dollars. Oh, this is a military hotel/resort so you have to show proper credentials to use the facilities with the exception of the Bare Foot Bar.

It has been a long time since I stayed in the hotel. The rooms were very basic. Nothing special at all. The price of the room is very inexpensive if you are a junior enlisted or officer. The price increases as you go up in rank. I am an E6 so I am better off staying at the Sheraton Waikiki with the government rate.

The pool is the largest in Waikiki. It is very shallow and is free for military and guests. You don't have to stay at the hotel, just bring your own towels.

The only bad thing about the hotel is that the parking lot is across the street. They used to have a driveway up to the reception desk but they closed it off since 9-11.

If you are up in the ranks I recommend staying somewhere else for the price and quality you would get, but the dining at the Hale Koa is good for the money.

• Stayed: January 2003, traveled with friends
4  Thank DaKine1
Reviewed September 14, 2007

Although I was born and raised in Honolulu, I haven't lived there since 1969. Since I have lots of friends and family there, I usually don't stay in hotels while vacationing. However, since my two adult daughters would be joining me for 4 days, we decided to stay at the Hale Koa to take advantage of the great location, reasonable prices, expansive grounds and air conditioning (something my relatives and friends do not have) and play tourist.
I had not been to the Hale Koa for years except for meals so did not know how extensively the grounds and beach had been developed since the hotel was built. The park-like setting with tropical plantings was a nice contrast to the hustle of most of Waikiki. The beach was practically empty the afternoon and evenings we strolled. I agree the rooms were not exceptional (older tower) but for the price, the room was clean, though worn, and the size (2 queen beds) was good. The air conditioning worked well and quietwhen ly (we even had to turn it down it got too cold).
The meal we had was good and reasonable. Service overall was exceptional--I noticed some negative comments from other reviewers--and we were quite pleased with the PX offerings of convenience items, snacks and souvenirs.
. We were wowed by the luau put on my the Hale Koa as well--an exceptional value for under $40 for entertainment, cocktail and dinner. Food included samplers of many types of food including Hawaiian and local dishes and fruits and although was although not gourmet, everyone would find enough to eat. The entertainment was good, with a variety of Polynesian dances (including a terrific fire dance) and a pleasant MC and singer (Glenn Medeiros had a couple of big hit s in the 80's). I would encourage people to try this one (half the prices of some others) without the additional hassles of having to go somewhere else.
Even with a rental car and knowing our way around, we took advantage of some of the bus (pickup is right near the entrance to the HIlton next door) and for $2.00 (good deals for multiple days or longer passes) you can ride the tourist buses to shopping and other venues and you are in walking distance of city buses that also charge $2 for a trip (includes transfers). If you're not driving, you can still see most of the major sites with a combination of these two.
Warning on the hot Hawaiian sun. Most people used sunscreen lavishly but it takes only minutes to burn! I didn't use it while standing in line (maybe 15 minutes in partial shade, or so I thought) and got a nice burn on one shoulder. Locals often wear T-shirts over swim suits while snorkeling (sunscreen tends to wash off and your back, thighs and calves are in jeapordy.

Stayed: September 2007