All reviewsbudget hotelwaikiki beachtwo blockskapiolani parkhonolulu zoobed was comfortableabc storewould stay here againan older hotellocation is greatfree upgradefront desk staffper dayup to datediamond headkitchenetteetsu
Reviewed November 27, 2017

this hotel was booked by my agent and ended up being good value for a waikiki/close to beach hotel with great staff,big rooms and easy access to everything,its not your 4/5 star type but older and just right for people on a budget.abc shops nearby and across the road from the marriott plus right near the bus pickup for all the local tours-ie-pearl harbor/arizona,my reason for this visit-my first and well worth the effort,i,d return for a longer stay.

Room Tip: i always use my flight center agent-5 yrs,never a problem.
  • Stayed: November 2017, traveled solo
2  Thank 250austraveller
islandcolonyaqua, General Manager at Ewa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2018

Aloha,

Thank you posting your review on Tripadvisor. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our convenience location - close to Waikiki Beach. And I am pleased to hear that you liked our great staff, big rooms. Thank you for letting us know. Please come back again.

Mahalo

Lendy Ma
Ewa Hotel Waikiiki

Reviewed October 12, 2017

I work on ships and have spent many a port call over the past 10 years in this clean, fairly priced, and friendly hotel. I love the peace and quiet, conveniently located on a lightly travelled side street, close to the park, zoo, restaurants and the beach. There is essentially no traffic noise, rare in Waikiki. The staff are helpful and welcoming with warm aloha. They even went out of their way to help me get a better room. Be warned though, the wireless Internet service in the rooms is terrible and is often non-functional. Why they haven't done anything about this problem is a mystery considering we're living in a connected world. Sure, the rooms could use some updating, but everything was clean and perfectly adequate. I always seem to find my way back here and will likely return on a future port call.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the elevator. Useless WiFi on the 7th floor.
  • Stayed: October 2017, traveled solo
4  Thank pagodroma
Reviewed October 11, 2017

My wife and I spent 16 days in Kauai and Maui, and instead of flying directly back home afterwards, we decided to spend one night in Waikiki. We figured we would probably be up late dining and shopping, and up early the next morning to catch our flight so we didnt need anything fancy. Based on reviews and price, I chose the Ewa Hotel. I am so glad I did. I have stayed in the Aqua brand of hotels in the past and always found them to be clean, well located, and good value for the money. This trip was no different. We arrived early, around 11:45 am, and as I expected, our room was not ready. Not a problem, the desk clerk took our bags and locked them up securely and told us to check back around 2 pm and we should have your room ready then. We walked around Waikiki for a bit, did some shopping, ate lunch, (see my California Pizza Kitchen review), then headed back to the hotel. At this point, our room was ready. We were told that since I was an A-Lister, we were being upgraded to a one bedroom suite instead of the least expensive studio I had reserved. What a nice surprise! The room was huge, with three beds, separate bedrooom, and huge connecting balcony. After we unpacked, someone from the front desk even came up to our room with bottled water and cookies. The staff here is amazing. Always smiling and willing to help. And all this for about $100 and a free upgrade.
The hotel itself is on the older side, and its been awhile since a renovation. But it was clean and functional. Its on the Diamond Head side of Waikiki, which I prefer since it is a little quieter down there. Plus you are a quick walk to the park and away from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki. But its also only a five minute walk the other direction to either the beach or all the commotion of Waikiki. Great location in my opinion. It is a low rise hotel, dwarfed by the high rises around it. If you want to stay in your room and look at the view, you might want to go elsewhere. But we walked five minutes to the beach and enjoyed the view from there and saved several hundred dollars.
The beds were comfortable, the mini fridge was great, all in all a clean although dated room.
The bathroom could have used some improvements. Remember this is a budget hotel, though. But there were cracks in the porcelain sink, the shower curtain was off a little, but nothing that stopped it from being functional. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TravellinDad909799

Aloha,

thank you for posting postive reviews on Tripadvisor about your experiences at Ewa Hotel Waikiki. I am very pleased that you loved being our A-lister guests (free upgrade, special amenity). And you enjoyed our convenience location, friendly staff, upgraded 1-bedroom, comfortable beds. Thank you for letting us know. Please come again.

Mahalo

Lendy Ma,
Ewa Hotel Waikiki

Reviewed October 10, 2017

I travel on business, usually on short notice. I booked this hotel as the least expensive hotel in the general vicinity of a conference I was attending in Waikiki. I had relatively low expectations, but was pleasantly surprised with a room that was clean, well maintained, and had more amenities than I was expecting. There were several nice touches:

two walk in closets. One has an ironing board and iron, the other has a set of dishes and silverware.

Kitchenette including microwave, range, sink and refrigerator. I made use of this, storing take-out meals in the refrigerator and reheating them in the microwave. The dishes in the closet came in handy.

Radio alarm clock. Most newer hotels don't have this anymore.

I was told that there are laundry rooms on the 2nd and 4th floors, but I did not make use of these.

DISADVANTAGES:

There is no restaurant in the hotel. The nearest restaurant is in the next hotel over, maybe a 200 yard walk.

The hotel has wifi but I forgot to bring my laptop. I asked to use a desktop computer but they don't have an internet café or other guest access to computers.

There is a hostel next door to the hotel. Several nights there were young people standing in front of this hostel at all hours and some of these people looked dirty. I am an extra large guy and was not afraid to walk past them.

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled on business
1  Thank drpdauterman
Reviewed September 24, 2017

The Ewa has been a favourite of ours for 10 years and it hasn't really changed a bit in that time. It doesn't stand a chance against the glitzy resort hotels like the Kahala, the Royal Hawaiian or the Trump Tower, but you are going to be flapping about in your wet swimsuit and water wings wherever you go, so who are you trying to impress? The Ewa Hotel does have aloha in bucket loads. Great staff who really care about you, friendly service (thank you, Michelle) and genuine Hawaiian hospitality. It doesn't have a pool - the ocean is one block that way. It doesn't have a restaurant - there are 20 within 5 minutes walk. It doesn't have a bar - save yourself a few hundred dollars on the hotel and have another round of mai tais at the Tiki Bar around the corner. Free beach towels, excellent local advice on tours and restaurants, comfortable rooms. Love this place.

Room Tip: 4th and 6th floors have coin-operated laundries
  • Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple