“Fine for what it is.”

Ranked #67 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Olympia, Washington
“Fine for what it is.”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The Ewa Hotel is fine as a budget hotel. My room was clean and comfortable and was perfect for the price I paid. The few issues I had: 1. There was a large gap between the floor and the door allowing noise from the outside hall to easily enter. Door seals aren't that expensive and would be a nice addition to allow for more privacy and noise reduction. 2. The only lock was a dead bolt. Again it would be nice to have more then one lock to ensure security. 3. The people at the front desk were very nice and helpful but couldn't offer me any advice on how to get to Pearl Harbor without a car, which I thought I was bizarre for a hotel in the middle of Waikiki. However, I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a comfortable and affordable stay in Waikiki and who is fine with not staying in one of the higher end resort hotels.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Jennifer B, Manager at Ewa Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Aloha Caylen2005,

Mahalo for your review here at TripAdvisor. We are currently in the process of refreshing our rooms and with that being said, we are actively pursuing a solution for the gaps between the door and the floor and changing out the deadbolt. Also, I also found your comment about not getting the information on how to go to Pearl Harbor without a car concerning and will definitely re-train the staff when I address them during our next staff meeting. But aside from these, I am glad that you were able to enjoy your stay with us.

Should your travels bring you back to Hawaii, hopefully you'll stay with us again.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed March 5, 2013

The Ewa Hotel offers the perfect location for a quiet stay in Waikiki. It is close to all the amenities including the bus stop, and to world famous Waikiki Beach. Our room was quiet, clean, but on the small side. The new bed mattress was amazingly comfortable. The coffee maker and mini fridge enabled us to start our day with Hawaiian coffee. I would recommend this hotel to those not interested in spending much time in their room, and are there to enjoy Hawaii. The Ewa Hotel staff provided excellent service, especially with regards to our luggage storage on our arrival and departure days. Much Aloha Spirit was shown. Mahalo !

Room Tip: Request a room on a higher floor towards the end of the hall away from the elevator.
Jennifer B, Manager at Ewa Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Aloha LoveHawaii758,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are very proud of our bed mattresses and appreciate the fact that you found them comfortable. Hopefully when you come back to Hawaii, you will stay with us again.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I got up around 3 am to go to a bathroom and found about a dozen of cockroaches fleeing all over the place when I turned on the light. My room was very tiny and next to the elevator. It was very noisy from people going in & out from the elevator. I don't think I will stay there ever again.

Room Tip: Avoid any rooms near the elevator.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank WahineKea777
Jennifer B, Manager at Ewa Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Aloha WahineKea777,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I apologize for your bad experience with pests. We take pest control very seriously. Located in a tropical environment, we do our best to control pests, however, despite our efforts, sometimes they do appear. I wonder if you had reported this to the front desk as we do not have any record of the pests you mentioned in any of our Moderate Rooms. But since reading your review, we have called our professional pest control company to re-treat all of our Moderate Rooms as a precautionary measure.

Despite this, I hope that the rest of your stay in Hawaii was enjoyable.

Hotel Manager

Travelers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

California
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a week while on the island for the Pro Bowl. It is a great location, only a couple blocks from Waikiki Beach and the restaurants/shops. We had adjoining rooms with a kitchenette and was perfect for all four adults as we each had our own bed. It is a budget hotel, no frills but if you are looking for a clean place to stay this is it. The coffeemaker is small allowing for two cups and the room is a bit outdated but always clean. You are right in the heart of the city so it can get noisy especially in the early morning with the delivery trucks. But we had a patio as well and was great to have the fresh air and place to drink your morning coffee. They had a parking garage that cost an extra 20 bucks a day but was well worth it for the rental car as there is not a lot of places to park. Would stay here again if just needed a clean and decent place to crash.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank craziknee
Jennifer B, Manager at Ewa Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Aloha craziknee,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at EWA Hotel Waikiki. I am happy you found the location great as I love where the hotel is in Waikiki. It's in the quiet side as I always say.

Please come back and visit us again!!!

Neptune, NJ
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We came out to Honolulu on short notice for a wedding. Ewa was one of the few places that was available for the nights were needed. I had originally booked 4 nights, but then needed to change to only 2 nights that were seperated by 2 nights. Roy in reservations was extremely helpful. The first night we arrived to find we were given a mini suite instead of a standard room. It was a nice surprise. When we checked in again a few nights later we were given a room on the 8th floor which is on the sun deck. This room had a queen bed, flat screen TV and a refridgerator. The bed was very comfortable. We had plenty of towels. Brendan and John at the front desk are very courteous and pleasant. This hotel has a very good location.

Jennifer B, Manager at Ewa Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Aloha phyl4859,

Thank you so much for your review. I will definitely share your review with Roy, Brandon and Jon and I am sure they will be delighted with it.

Please think of us the next time you plan on visiting Oahu again!

Lahaina, Hawaii
Reviewed February 17, 2013

To start off: I'm not a person that writes reviews, although I find them very helpful. However, as I write this review I am in the room 515 at Ewa Hotel Waikiki and i promise to my self never to stay here again. I will list why: 1. I walked in the bathroom to dirty towels. 2. The walls are paper-thin!! I can hear everything that goes on next door, and trust me it is not pleasant. 3. I contacted the front desk to move me to a different room, but say told me it 100% capacity... really/?? 4. After checking in with my girlfriend this afternoon, the front desk person put us on a room with two single beds... joke. I went downstairs and got us moved to the smallest hotel room i've ever been to. Like i said, I don't like "hating" on any business, but I'm a business owner and I would love to hear the truth about my business, so here it is. Do not stay in this hotel if you are paying more than $100 a night.

4 Thank Junior S
Jennifer B, Manager at Ewa Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Aloha Junior S,

Thank you for posting an very honest review of the hotel. I am actually very surprised that we had left dirty towels in the first room you were in... That is not how we do business here at EWA and will definitely be talking to our housekeeper and the housekeeping supervisor about this. Unfortunately, with regards to bedding configuration, it is our policy to not guarantee bedding configuration as we have different bedding configuration types. We try to accommodate and grant bedding requests as much as we can but as you have experienced, we are unable to do so from time to time due to high occupancy. If we had the room to move you to, we would have to accommodate your request. I offer my sincerest apologies to not meeting your bedding request.

Hope you will give us another chance in the future.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 5, 2013

It is in a great location, with nice reception area.
But the bugs are horrible. They seems to be well aware of the problem, but don't
seem to be in a hurry to fix this.

A more senior companion and I stayed in room 304 for the night of Feb 3rd.
I waked up around 1:00 am due to itchiness. I had bumps on my face, hands, arms, and neck.
They looked like mosquito bites at first, small, with white central area. I didn't mind much at first. But when I turned on the lights, I saw a small black bug with red tip, crawling slowly near the pillow. I took a picture and killed it, which left a blood trail.
I went to the front desk. A nice gentle man was smoking near the garage door.
After hearing my description, he immediately gave me two keys to 302.
I went back to my room. Since my companion was still asleep, I moved myself to 302.
It was a nicer room. I stayed up until 3:00am, that is when I found another bug around the pillow TOO! It is the same type, but smaller, also a blood stain.

In the morning, when I checked out, a different guy had the nerve to scold me to have not returned the keys to 304 earlier. "You are not supposed to stay in two room, but I am going to let it go." I was just too exhausted to reason with him.

A few other minor details

1)many stains on the wall. looked like residue of dead bugs.
2)old sheets. in 302, the bed cover had a hole likely burned by cigarette.
3)we were promised two double beds in 304. They were twin beds.
4)now the bites are swollen red
5)I am trying to clean everything up.

I have never complained this much just for one night, but attitude of the receptionist in the morning was really deceptive and unacceptable.
Please avoid this hotel, especially notify your guide or travel agency.
It is just not worth the trouble.

Please also report to relevant agencies if you had similar experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Di L
Jennifer B, Manager at Ewa Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Aloha Di L,

I wanted to take a quick minute and thank you for posting this review of your recent stay at the Ewa Hotel Waikiki. It is with feedback such as yours that we continue to improve our property.

I wanted to personally apologize for your dissatisfaction with your stay due to bed bugs. I want you to know that we do a very comprehensive inspection of the property and of its rooms and has a pest control maintenance and fumigation schedule so this issue does not happen again. In fact, the minute you have checked out of the property, we secured and isolated and treated the room and have since then solve this issue.

And with regards to the bedding you said you were promised, unfortunately, as a hotel, we do not guarantee beddings and try to grant bedding requests as much as we can but with the property pretty much sold out since the start of January of this year, we are not able to accommodate them all.

Steps have been done to correct the reception you got when you were checking out. I have personally spoken to the front desk agent and have counseled him in the way he had handled your check out process.

Again, I apologize that we failed you. I do hope that in the future you may afford us another chance.