All reviews budget hotel waikiki beach two blocks kapiolani park place to sleep studio room honolulu zoo bed was comfortable would stay here again abc store an older hotel location is great free upgrade front desk staff up to date per day the aloha spirit
Reviewed February 17, 2013

To start off: I'm not a person that writes reviews, although I find them very helpful. However, as I write this review I am in the room 515 at Ewa Hotel Waikiki and i promise to my self never to stay here again. I will list why: 1. I walked in the bathroom to dirty towels. 2. The walls are paper-thin!! I can hear everything that goes on next door, and trust me it is not pleasant. 3. I contacted the front desk to move me to a different room, but say told me it 100% capacity... really/?? 4. After checking in with my girlfriend this afternoon, the front desk person put us on a room with two single beds... joke. I went downstairs and got us moved to the smallest hotel room i've ever been to. Like i said, I don't like "hating" on any business, but I'm a business owner and I would love to hear the truth about my business, so here it is. Do not stay in this hotel if you are paying more than $100 a night.

Date of stay: February 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
4  Thank Junior S
Jennifer B, Manager at Ewa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Aloha Junior S,

Thank you for posting an very honest review of the hotel. I am actually very surprised that we had left dirty towels in the first room you were in... That is not how we do business here at EWA and will definitely be talking to our housekeeper and the housekeeping supervisor about this. Unfortunately, with regards to bedding configuration, it is our policy to not guarantee bedding configuration as we have different bedding configuration types. We try to accommodate and grant bedding requests as much as we can but as you have experienced, we are unable to do so from time to time due to high occupancy. If we had the room to move you to, we would have to accommodate your request. I offer my sincerest apologies to not meeting your bedding request.

Hope you will give us another chance in the future.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

It is in a great location, with nice reception area.
But the bugs are horrible. They seems to be well aware of the problem, but don't
seem to be in a hurry to fix this.

A more senior companion and I stayed in room 304 for the night of Feb 3rd.
I waked up around 1:00 am due to itchiness. I had bumps on my face, hands, arms, and neck.
They looked like mosquito bites at first, small, with white central area. I didn't mind much at first. But when I turned on the lights, I saw a small black bug with red tip, crawling slowly near the pillow. I took a picture and killed it, which left a blood trail.
I went to the front desk. A nice gentle man was smoking near the garage door.
After hearing my description, he immediately gave me two keys to 302.
I went back to my room. Since my companion was still asleep, I moved myself to 302.
It was a nicer room. I stayed up until 3:00am, that is when I found another bug around the pillow TOO! It is the same type, but smaller, also a blood stain.

In the morning, when I checked out, a different guy had the nerve to scold me to have not returned the keys to 304 earlier. "You are not supposed to stay in two room, but I am going to let it go." I was just too exhausted to reason with him.

A few other minor details

1)many stains on the wall. looked like residue of dead bugs.
2)old sheets. in 302, the bed cover had a hole likely burned by cigarette.
3)we were promised two double beds in 304. They were twin beds.
4)now the bites are swollen red
5)I am trying to clean everything up.

I have never complained this much just for one night, but attitude of the receptionist in the morning was really deceptive and unacceptable.
Please avoid this hotel, especially notify your guide or travel agency.
It is just not worth the trouble.

Please also report to relevant agencies if you had similar experience.

Date of stay: February 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
3  Thank Di L
Jennifer B, Manager at Ewa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Aloha Di L,

I wanted to take a quick minute and thank you for posting this review of your recent stay at the Ewa Hotel Waikiki. It is with feedback such as yours that we continue to improve our property.

I wanted to personally apologize for your dissatisfaction with your stay due to bed bugs. I want you to know that we do a very comprehensive inspection of the property and of its rooms and has a pest control maintenance and fumigation schedule so this issue does not happen again. In fact, the minute you have checked out of the property, we secured and isolated and treated the room and have since then solve this issue.

And with regards to the bedding you said you were promised, unfortunately, as a hotel, we do not guarantee beddings and try to grant bedding requests as much as we can but with the property pretty much sold out since the start of January of this year, we are not able to accommodate them all.

Steps have been done to correct the reception you got when you were checking out. I have personally spoken to the front desk agent and have counseled him in the way he had handled your check out process.

Again, I apologize that we failed you. I do hope that in the future you may afford us another chance.

Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

None night before leaving for the mainland. Chose this place based on location and price. Location is awesome. At the end of Waikiki, near the beach and zoo. While it's not on the beach, it's really, really close. Tiki's is close, as is Mac 24/7 and Tokkuri Tei. I'm a fan of all these restaurants, after eating at some very disapointing eseeded a room for tablishments in Waikiki. But, back to Ewa Hotel.

Out front is a nice seating area with ashtrays if you smoke. The lobby is small, but clean and attractive. There's limited self parking in the parking garage for $15 a day, which is cheaper than most places in Waikiki. While there's no pool on the premises, the beach is easily within walking distance, and I'd take the ocean over a pool any day. The top floor of the hotel boasts a nice open area with potted palm trees and comfy chairs to lay out in the sun. The view of the ocean from here is lovely, especially at sunset. The downside is the elevator doesn't go to the top floor, you have to take a flight of stairs up from the last floor it stops at. This is especially disconcerting when you have a room at the top floor, and have to drag multiple suitcases up the stairs.

I specifically asked for a room with one queen bed. When we finally hauled our luggage in to our room, we quickly discovered we were given two twin beds. For this reason I'm giving Ewa Hotel 3 stars. Not at all impressed with this blunder on the hotel's part. The room had a small balcony, and a mini fridge. Definitely appreciated that. The bathroom was tiny and as clean as it could be, but be warned, the bathrooms are old, and past being able to be cleaned properly due to their condition. There's at least new carpet in the rooms.

I've seen other rooms at other hotels in Waikiki, and I understand many places haven't renovated for a while, so all in all, the price is right for Ewa Hotel. Don't expect luxury, make sure you're not on the top floor if you have a lot of luggage, and if you reserve a room with a queen bed, I suggest verifying this is what you actually get, before you haul your belongings up to your room.

Ewa Hotel is a quaint, rather quiet old hotel in a great area of Waikiki, that is affordable, thus allowing you more money to spend on food and activities. After all, who wants to spend all their time in a hotel room when they're in Hawaii!

2  Thank excitedforlife

Aloha excitedforlife,

Thank you for the review you posted here on TripAdvisor. I am glad you enjoyed the location as this is one of my favorite things about the property. I would like to offer my apologies for the bedding situation. I understand your frustration regarding this but unfortunately, due to limited bedding configurations we have at the property, it is our policy to not guarantee bedding configurations. We try to accommodate bedding requests as much as possible but from time to time, we are unable to accommodate it due to high occupancy.

We are slowly refurbishing our rooms and maybe try to change some bedding configurations as well so we are able to accommodate more requests for queen/king beds.

Hope your travels bring you back to our little quaint hotel...

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I planned to spend my time at a hostel I won't name. Thanks to some horrible infighting among the residents, I decided to look for an alternative halfway through my stay. Ewa came through and I'm so very happy. Perfect location close to the beach and the zoo; Starbucks, ice cream, burgers nearby. Room was clean and spacious. Bed was comfortable. Furnishings were old and somewhat dinged up, but worked perfectly. The only thing that was sub-par was the water pressure on the 5th floor. But I was able to stroll to the #2 bus for all my touristy travels and had a wonderful base from which to explore Oahu. I'd be happy to return any time.

• Trip type: Traveled solo

Aloha Ellen E,

I'm glad we were able to rescue you from the hostel. We are checking on your comment regarding the water pressure as I am typing this and will make sure that it does not inconvenience any of our guests again. Thank you again for mentioning it. And please think of us again the next time you decide to visit Oahu!

Reviewed January 30, 2013

We spent 9 nights at the Ewa. Its location can't be faulted, close to the beach, The Bus, and the main tourist strip. The room was clean and the bed comfortable, it had a fridge and a coffee maker (which we didn't use because Starbucks was around the corner). There was next to no information on what to see and do, but there are stands along the street with all that so I don't suppose it was a big loss. The wall between the next room was not well insulated for sound and we had one lot of noisy neighbours.The internet in the foyer was slow and in the room it was expensive, but there is a Starbucks and a McDonalds nearby and they have free internet. If you want to be near the big hotels but not in them, the Ewa may be for you.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Andrew P

Aloha Andrew P,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at EWA Hotel Waikiki. We are definitely fine-tuning our WiFi access and working closely with out vendor to improve the strength of the connection. We are also looking for ways to fix the insulation of the walls and hopefully we have this all fix when you visit us again soon.

Thank you!!!