“Affordable and close to beach.”
Review of Ewa Hotel

Ewa Hotel
Ranked #69 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Just returned from a whole week stay at this hotel in Honolulu. It is in the western side of Waikiki, close to the zoo. My hubby calls it the "back-alley" hotel as the entrance appears to be in an alley...nothing too pretty about it and seems to be in need of some upgrades (wall paper!) but definitely good value. It is very close to the beach, trolley stops for all 3 lines, restaraunts, fast food. Room was very clean and suprisingly pretty big. I was also surprised that it had a mini kichenette with a fridge, stove, sink and even dishes and cutlery! Definitely a place to brings kids. I am a little disappointed that wi-fi is not included...I would have liked it to plan for places to eat and rent a car, etc. Carpet was clean and relatively new, bed was very comfy but the wall paper needs to be replaced. Super friendly staff, who was available 24 hours and very helpful. Nothing fancy like a pool or restaurants or work-out gym but that's how they can keep the place price low. Overall ery positive experience and would definitely go back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank YD01
Jennifer B, Manager at Ewa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Aloha YD01,

Mahalo for your review! We are currently refreshing all of our guest rooms so hopefully when you come back and visit us, we are better and definitely brighter! Aloha again!

There are newer reviews for Ewa Hotel

Reviewed September 20, 2012

I just returned from Honolulu and stayed at the Ewa for the first time. I enjoyed my week stay in September, 2012. The hotel itself is close to the beach for the surfers and swimmers. It is quiet and off the beaten track but close enough to the trolley stop to make it a great location. My room was very clean, but in need of a bit of paint and a door replacement for the bathroom. The hotel location is very quiet, and with the exception of noisy neighbors who I could hear talking clearly through the adjoining room door, until the wee hours one night, I had no complaints about the exterior hotel noise. The housekeeping staff are terrific but they started very early each morning vacuuming, which did not allow for sleeping in, so if you are an early riser, this would not be an issue. I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for good value for a nice room with a kitchenette (two burners, a sink & fridge). No microwaves in the room though for reheating. They are available for an additional cost if you request one. The non stick frying pan was pretty rough but otherwise, a good set up. Bring your own spices & condiments, and ziplocks and you'd be good to go.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Runbambi

Aloha Runbambi,

Thank you so much for your comments. We are actually currently in the process of putting in microwaves in all of our Studio units (microwaves are already standard in our 1-bedroom units) and upgrading our cookwares slowly. Maybe the next time you visit us, this will be done!

I will definitely share your comments with the staff and I am sure they will be delighted!

Reviewed September 3, 2012

This hotel has the basic amenities that you need and is very close to the ocean. The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful, taking time to give advice on sightseeing opportunities that went beyond the standard places. While replacing the locks on the doors, they provided security on each floor. They also provided lock boxes for valuables, because the safes in the rooms are to be replaced soon. The hotel posts quiet hours, and I slept very well without interruption or noise.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank pianist12
Jennifer B, Manager at Ewa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Aloha pianist12,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit ot O`ahu and Waikiki. I will definitely share your comments with the staff. I am glad you enjoyed yourself. Please come back and visit us again soon!

Reviewed August 29, 2012

When I booked this hotel I was promised free upgrade and complimentary breakfast. I never got the upgrade and we ended up with the smallest room next to the elevator. Upon checkin we got a small basket with 1 pot of jam, 2 sunny delight, 1 small pack of instant coffee and armenian bread. The next night we asked for the same thing and were told it is 1 basket per stay. The attendants were mostly rude and didn't care. The internet never worked and the AC is right above the bed and leaked all over the matress....

Room Tip: Book somewhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alina P

Aloha Aleyp58,

Although your review does not speak highly of our property, we thank you for your review. I’m surprised that you found the Guest Service Agents rude and uncaring, as most of our reviews find our staff friendly and accessible. Nonetheless, we have shared your review with our staff to remind them to treat every guest with aloha.

I hope the rest of your holiday was enjoyable.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

On very short notice, Ewa management first booked two nights and then five subsequent nights during the busy July 2012 period.. The room was clean and comfortable, with AC and hot water (all I needed). The cleaning staff did wonders and the front desk was very helpful. I had the window open 24/7 on the fifth floor. Mind you, this is in a quiet spot near Kuhio Beach and at those rates, you don't need a five-star box.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank jaxkimo

Aloha jaxkimo,

Thank you for your short but sweet review of the property. We appreciate your comments and hopefully you will come and visit us again!

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Travelling with two friends so we booked three rooms for 10 days due to location and rates. One room had a blocked toilet which took two days for them to fix. Then the air conditioner began leaking water on to the bed.
I had been promised a room upgrade upon check in yet I ended up with the smallest of the rooms and no balcony.
After spending well over 1,000 each so over $4,000 they then proceeded to charge $20/night for parking and laughed when I complained.
I could not in good conscience recommend this place to anyone. You'd be better off at a backpackers or a hostel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Keith T

Aloha Keith T,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Although your review did not speak highly of our hotel, I do appreciate you sharing your perspective. Your experience has been shared with our staff to ensure that these type of things do not happen again in the future.

I’m sorry that we fell short of your expectations; I do hope that the rest of your vacation was enjoyable. Though our property did not meet your expectations, Aqua Hotels and Resorts has 21 properties on the 6 major islands of Hawaii. Should your travels return you to Hawaii, I hope you will give us a chance to match you with a property that better suits your needs.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stayed at Ewa for 6nights, and had nothing to complain. The hotel are two blocks away from waikiki beach, which takes you no longer than 2 minutes to walk. ABC store not far away so you can buy something to your room. The room are enough placed for two persons. The wall are abit thin so you can hear the neighbours tv and they talking. Other than that we would return, definetly. You are getting the value of your money!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank mthuuNor05

Aloha mthuuNor05,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of Ewa Hotel Waikiki. I share your delight in the convenience of our location. :-) Hope that you will come and visit us again!