“Best Hotel in Waikiki”

Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Orange County, CA
“Best Hotel in Waikiki”
Reviewed August 20, 2007

We stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki the week of July 25-31. We checked in pretty early and our room wasn’t ready yet, so the staff put a rush on it. We grabbed some coffee and snacks from Seattle’s Best located at the entrance of the hotel and within 20 minutes our room was ready. When making our reservations, we requested a room on the Diamond Head side and on a high floor. They honored all our requests and gave us a complimentary room upgrade from a city view to a partial ocean view. We were on the 15th floor, which gave us access to the express elevators that only service floors 14, 15 & PH. There are some rooms located right it next to the express elevators and I’m sure it can get pretty noisy right there. Luckily for us, we were a good distance from any of the elevators, so we had no problems. We did hear the sounds of toilets flushing a few times, but that’s only because the toilets pack a powerful flush, which in my opinion is a good thing. The noise from the toilets never bothered us or woke us up. Other than that, we never heard any noise coming from any of the other rooms, so the walls aren’t as thin as others described. The room itself is nicely furnished. The bathroom has granite countertops and there is plenty of closet space and drawers. The lani fit me, my husband and our 10 year old daughter comfortably for breakfast, although we did leave our sliding door open for a little extra space.

One of the best things about this hotel is that it’s located right smack in the middle of everything. The International Marketplace is across the street and the Royal Hawaiian Shopping center is just around the corner. Not to mention it houses one of the best restaurants in all of Waikiki…Dukes. Dukes is reasonably priced, has great food & drinks, and has one of the best views of Waikiki. Try the Lava Flow, you’ll be addicted! Make sure you make reservations in advance as this place is busy every night. We made reservations a few weeks in advance and got a great table on the lani. Their breakfast buffet was great! We also ate at Hula Grill for dinner, which also has great views of Waikiki. Room service is provided by Hula Grill. The chocolate chip pancakes were delicious!

The beach right outside the hotel is beautiful. There is always something to do on the beach. Whether it be a catamaran sail, canoe ride, surfing lessons, or just floating in the ocean, the Outrigger has everything within arms reach. The on-site restaurants and some of the activities allow you to charge the costs to your room, which came in very handy as we hardly ever had to carry cash on us. You can rent 2 beach chairs & an umbrella for $30-$50 a day, depending on what type of chair you want. Rent your chairs early so you can get a good spot on the beach. Make sure to buy inflatable rafts or intertubes at the ABC store across the street. This will make for a wonderful time in the ocean.

The pool was a bit small for such a big resort, but we were always able to find a spot. It’s illegal to drink alcohol on the beach, but since this hotel is right on the beach, you could drink by the pool overlooking the ocean and still have the same feel.

I cannot say enough about the great staff. They were all so friendly and attentive. We needed towels before the towel desk opened and housekeeping quickly brought them up to our room. If you renting a car, getting into the hotel can be a little bit of a wait at times, but very too bad. The valets are really good about getting everyone in & out as quickly as possible. Everyday housekeeping leaves a newsletter in your room listing the activities the hotel offers such as lei making.

The Outrigger was one of the best hotels I’ve ever stayed at and if and when we return to Oahu, we will definitely return to the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. If you’re looking for a nice quiet vacation, then this hotel is not for you, but if you’re looking for a beautiful hotel in the middle of all the action, then this is definitely the place for you.

Aloha!

• Liked — Location & Service
  • Disliked — Nothing
9 Thank OC-Lynch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,341)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Washington, DC
Reviewed August 19, 2007

We just returned from a 9 night stay with our two teen sons. We had a great time and I must say that this hotel is probably the best one for teenagers who like to be in the center of all the action. We had an oceanfront room which was nice -- but hte walls are very thin! There was plenty of action and the hotel is convenient to everything as many others have noted. This is our third time to Waikiki -- the first two times we stayed at the Sheraton Moana Surfrider. When I return to Waikiki it will defintely be back to the Sheraton Moana Surfrider -- provided I can get a room in the newer section (deluxe tower).

I thought the service at the Outrigger was just average and at sometimes below average. Definitely not a 4 star hotel. They best thing they have going is Dukes restaurant. There was really nothing special about this hotel. We even had visit from Security because a neighbor had complained about noise from our room. We were watching a funny movie and there was some laughing but nothing out of the ordinary. It was rather annoying to have this visit when the music from their bar downstairs kept us up late every night -- after 11:00pm. The pool area is very small and not enough chairs for everyone. And, they close off one of the pool sections at 3:00 so they can set up a happy hour with music, etc. and all of those who are sunbathing are told to leave. They will just pick your things up right off the chairs and set them in the mulch over the little balcony! If you want a beach umbrella and chairs, you have to be there at 7:00 before they open or you won't get one. And, the charge $40 some per day. Food is expensive. I noticed that many, many people who stayed here would go over to the mini market for reasonably priced sandwiches and many people went to ABC store to purhcase chairs/umbrella. You could purhcase an umbrella and two chairs for the same price as a ONE day rental at Outrigger. They really nickel and dime you here. At the Sheraton Moana (next door) there is no charge for beach chairs and umbrella and you don't have to get up at 7:00 to get one either. Next time we go to Waikiki it will definitely be the Sheraton Moana. I would not stay here again. These are just a few of the negatives there were others.

• Liked — location, location, location
  • Disliked — customer service, thin walls, and too crowded.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank Netzie0220
connecticut
Reviewed August 17, 2007

My husband and I booked the Outrigger for the majority of our honeymoon stay in Hawaii. Of course, we read many reviews on trip advisor before going, so we weren't sure exactly what to expect based on the mixed reviews.

We had a great time! The first 6 nights we stayed in a partial ocean view room with a king size bed. The room was spacious and the bathroom was very nice. However, being on the first floor, our view wasn't very good. We could see a little of the ocean, but mostly just the building next door. We liked the free in-room safe. The beds were very comfortable as well. The hotel also allows customers free calling anywhere in the U.S.! As honeymooners, there was a bottle of champage in our room the first night.

After returning from a few days in Maui, we upgraded to a deluxe ocean front room, and it was definitely worth it! The room has a spa tub and a fabulous view of the ocean (obviously). The room is a bit smaller than the partial ocean view, but still worth it. If you can, upgrade to this room!

Maid service was excellent and the staff at the Outrigger was very helpful. We were amazed at how well they handle everyone's luggage with so many people coming and going. The staff was also great about moving our luggage during our stay in Maui. We didn't take all of our bags with us, and when we returned to the Outrigger, our luggage had already been moved for us into our new room.

Since I've read other reviews of the hotel, I know that some people complain about the walls being too thin. I was able to hear our neighbors several times, but the noise wasn't so much that we couldn't deal with it.

The beach area does get a bit crowded, but what do you expect? Waikiki is one of the best beaches in the world...and people want to enjoy it! You'll see why when you get there!
Many people bought small pool floats for the ocean (between $3-$8) at local stores.

I would also suggest bringing your own towels (or buying one when you get there). We rented a car one day and went snorkeling along the North Shore, so our own beach towels were helpful. The hotel does provide towels, though, if you're just going to stick around the area.

One thing I found a little annoying about the lower pool area was that at 4:00 the staff clears people off their lounge chairs to make extra room for Duke's Restaurant. This happens at 3:00 on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays for a band to play.

We ate at both Hula Grill and Duke's. Hula Grill is good for lunch, while Duke's is good for either lunch or dinner. We ate dinner at Duke's twice, and loved it.

One more thing...we bought the book Oahu Revealed and found it very helpful.

• Liked — The deluxe oceanfront room!
  • Disliked — Sometimes we could hear noise from our neighbors...
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mhamelin
Santa Maria, CA
Reviewed August 15, 2007

After booking our vacation package on expedia I read some of the reviews complaining about the noise and over crowding. I expected the worst and was very happily surprised!! Our 10 day vacation was EXCELLENT!!!

The hotel made great accomodations for my husband and I and our 17 and 12 year olds. Then we had both sets of grandparents that stayed in rooms near by. It was perfect!! We had an ocean view and loved the staff, the restaurants, the pool, beach, EVERYTHING!!!

THANKS OUTRIGGER!! Don't beleive the rumors about thin walls and too much noise. We loved everything about this hotel.

The Robb family,
California

• Liked — location location location!! right on the beach
  • Disliked — occasional wait at elevators
2 Thank stephanierob
kernersville, nc
Reviewed August 15, 2007

July 2007 - we spent 3 nights here in early July and absolutely loved the hotel. The location is perfect - right on Waikiki beach and right in the middle of alot of shopping. The hotel was nice. We booked a partial ocean view room. The rooms were very nice - a little small but that may have been all the stuff from my teenage kids. The breakfasts on the terrace in the morning were gorgeous and the prices were very reasonable. Get the fresh pineapple - man it was good. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Note if you want to take surf lessons do not wait till the afternoon - go ahead and do it in the morning. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — Location and the hotel iteself
  • Disliked — Rooms a little tight but nothing major
2 Thank maddie59
Western Australia
Reviewed August 13, 2007

We went to Hawaii for our Honeymoon. Having never been there before we only booked the first 2 nights accommodation with the travel agent and then thought we would look around once we got there. Thank goodness we did that! The Beachcomber was very old and dated room and the carpet looked like it had never been cleaned. Breakfast was very poor, however staff were very friendly. We walked around the day after we arrived to HOtels which took our fancy.
For the remander 8 nights we ended up staying at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. This Hotel was so beautiful. we only booked a city view room, however still got a veiw of the water from the balcony. The room itself was so beautiful. The service was outstanding in every department. We enjoyed drinks and lunch most days at Dukes which also has live bands on Sunday afternoons. The location was the best. If we went again we would either stay there or the Sheraton Moana. Sheraton was pricey but a magnificent Hotel. Both Hotels in the best location right on the beach accross from Macy's and all the shops. Make sure you go and eat at the Cheesecake Factory, just down the street a little from the Outrigger. The best food ever, but be prepared to wait a little for a table. They are always packed.
Alomaoano (forgot correct spelling) was a great shopping centre only a 10 minute bus trip. We hired a car and driving over there was a breeze. Drove to the North shore. Vist turtle bay and have lunch at there restaurant on the beach. The food generally in Hawaii is so big so it was nice to get a normal and reallly delicious meal. After our 2nd visit to the cheesecake factory we learnt to pick the cheapest meals on the menu so they would be less food... Wrong, still massive.
We missed the huge surf at Sunset, but worth seeing the different culture and way of life on the North Shore.
We visited the outlet shopping on the way back. That was a little dissappointing.
Overall I cant wait to get back to Hawaii. The people are sooooo friendly everywhere you go and the food is amazing.
Oh, when asking someone where the toilets are (as we say in Australia if we need to go), make sure you say 'Rest rooms' or bathrooms' as the word toilet isnt well liked. I found that out after people looked at me like I was being rude.
Oh, Diamond Head, also worth a visit and walk up to the top.
Also if you want a tatto (my husband got a Hula girl with Diamond Head in background) go see Tino at Soul Tattoos. Sort of located 1 street parallal back the beach road and upstairs in a old apartment block. He was the best. Wow I could go on forever, what a beautiful place. Definatley 10/10!

• Liked — Service, rooms, restaurants, everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Buddy1234
Bethesda, MD
Reviewed August 11, 2007

Our family, comprised of 2 adults in our late 40's and 2 teenage boys, just returned from a great 4 night stay at the Outrigger in Waikiki. We were extremely pleased with the hotel. The layout of the lobby is interesting and works very well -- the ground floor in the street exit, with an activities desk, retail shops, a coffee place and Dukes. The check-in is on the second floor, which effectively separates the folks checking in and out from the other goings-on in the lobby. When we checked in, the woman working the desk tried very hard to sell us on an upgrade from a city-view room to a partial ocean view for "only $69" per room night (we had 2 rooms). When we turned her down, she smiled and said she'd talk to her manager and then came back, whispering that her manager agreed to upgrade us by giving us 2 partial ocean view rooms but charging us for only one. We also turned that down (I mean, I don't stay in the room except to sleep and we were going to stay in ocean-front condos on Maui and the Big Island, so I felt it wasn't necessary.) I felt as though I was buying car with that experience, but that was the only negative experience and it was minor. The staff was extremely friendly and we found the rooms to be extremely clean and well laid out. We had 14th floor, city view rooms. The 14th and 15th floor have their own elevator, which is very handy, as I noticed the other elevators were always packed. I would take care NOT to have a city-view room on a lower floor, as the fans on the roof of the building next door (Cheesecake Facory) are noisy if you're clser than we were. I would also take care NOT to get a room right next to the elevators. The pool and the beach in front of the hotel are very crowded but Waikiki, in general, is very crowed. The hotel's location is in the heart of things. We always went to breakfast on the road parallel to the street the hotel is on -- there are a variety of places to go. The local shopping became very upscale from the last time I was in Waikiki 20 years ago. You can find Prada, Cartier, Tiffany, Baly, etc. intermixed with cheap t-shirt shops and loads of ABC stores. All in all, I recommend this hotel and would stay here again if returning to Waikiki.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family