“Good Location”

Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed July 19, 2007

We stayed our 1st 3 nights at the Outrigger Waikiki(OW) and my kids loved it. But I don't understand why people kept saying good things about the Dukes(restaurant) too, they have nice view but the buffet breakfast was terrible, I think Denny's or IHOP serve much better food than them.

We stayed our last 3 nights at Ohana East because they costed more than US100 less a day, and the location is just across the street of OW, thought it didn't make much diff, but it did, my sons didn't like Ohana East a bit, I should have just spent that US$300 and stayed put at OW

7  Thank pamam

Reviewed July 18, 2007

Just returned from a week in Oahu, and here is my report.
Arrived at the Waikiki Outrigger on the Beach by ABC limo. Took the escalator to the main lobby for check in. They greeted us at the landing BY NAME and ushered us to the sit down check in area. Only snafu was we had requested adjoining rooms with two double beds each. Only adjoining rooms are one room with king bed and the other with two doubles, and they gave us two double beds rooms separated by one room. No worries. The next day they moved one of the rooms to a king and we had our adjoining rooms. I have nothing but GREAT things to say about this hotel. I too worried over the thin walls (even brought ear plugs and never used them). I must have had quiet neighbors as I only heard the TV next door once. The toilets flush very strong and loud, so you do hear that but not enough to bother or awaken anyone. The vanity is poorly lit but who cares what you look like, you’re hangin’ loose in Hawaii. I couldn’t find the light in the shower/toilet area the first night, so showered in the dark. Next day my son pointed out the switch to me.
HINT: Rooms _16 and _17 are right across from the elevators. I imagine these rooms can get loud with the constant traffic. Also the ice machines are located between rooms _29 and _30. Also, could be noisy. The lanai is not huge. Two chairs and table, but, again, plenty of room for my sister and I to read the paper and admire the view each morning and evening. We had an ocean view and it was worth every penny. I laid out maid money three days and they never picked it up, so I just left a big tip at the end of our stay. Didn’t hang much at the pool, but they have tons of lounge chairs. The pool is not kid friendly as the depth is 4feet to 8feet. Also it is a salt-water pool. Three days we went at 7:45am and got in line to get two beach chairs and umbrella ($30)
HINT: Drop your towels in the spot where you want your chairs to claim the best spots. If you get the front row, you will probably get a little wet at high tide, just put your stuff up in the chairs to avoid soakage. HINT: Bring a cheap, collapsible 6pack cooler with you from home, fill with hotel ice and can drinks before you go to the beach. Cold drinks all day with out leaving your chairs!! My teens participated in the ukulele lessons, and we all made name luggage tags. Dukes was great, we were famished and the salad bar was just as good as everyone claims. Had their buffet one morning ($14.95…that includes drinks too, milk, juice colas, etc, so you don’t have to limit the kids to one!) Also tried out the Plantation Spa with a body scrub. Pretty pricey, $109. Wouldn’t do that again…personal preference, the staff and service was excellent and first class. There’s a $5 off coupon in the Outrigger coupon book they give you but I found a $10 off in another coupon book. Check out the shops here. Very reasonable prices. A 6 pack of cola was cheaper at their market than at ABC across the street! Enjoyed everything about this Outrigger. Would stay here again, given the opportunity.

8  Thank jabinkley
Reviewed July 16, 2007

Stayed here after running away from the Royal Hawaiian. This hotel was great. Got a rate of 160 + free buffet breakfast for 2. The rooms are clean, comfortable and with lovely views of the pool and even the ocean. The rooms are a little old, but you expect that at this place, but it doesn't compromise your feeling of relaxation. Bathroom was clean, good amentities. The pool was nice and the breakfast buffet is AMAZING, especially eating it by the beach where the restaurant is. The place has a good array of shops and facilities which are all reasonably priced, even parking is 18/dollars a night, not bad. The ONLY bad thing about this place is the beach, very rocky on the bottom, big waves, not safe I think for children and amateur swimmers. Location, excellent, 5-10 minutes from everything. Would come again.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled solo
3  Thank PickE
Reviewed July 16, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Outrigger for 2 nights while we were on our Honeymoon and we loved the hotel! It was clean and everyone was very friendly. Unfortunately our luggage was lost during our whole stay on Oahu but Outrigger made sure to do it's best to accomodate us. They also gave us an upgrade on our room which was definitely a plus! We really enjoyed the restaurants at the hotel; you must visit Duke's but make sure to stop by in the morning to make a reservation, it gets real busy! I would definitely stay at the Outrigger on our next trip to Hawaii.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Kate1607
Reviewed July 12, 2007

Just got back a few days ago from a 2 week stay at the Outrigger Waikiki with my wife and our 2 children (7 and 4). Let me tell you, it was the Best. Holiday. Ever.

We arrived a little early at the hotel but Alex managed to get us to our room by early lunch time. Very friendly service. We had booked an oceanfront room and boy, it was worth it. The views were fantastic.

Got to our room and it was very clean. In fact they would clean the room twice a day. Furniture is traditional, but certainly not dated. The room was spacious enough for the 4 of us for 2 weeks. Even after this time, we did not feel claustrophobic at all. The only complaint I could make is that the walls need a little soundproofing. But this didn't really bother us a lot.

The hotel staff are very helpful and very friendly. Nothing was a problem for them. There was a mix up one morning with concierge for a shuttle pickup (for Waikele Factory Outlets) and after a few discussions, they paid for our shuttle. That's service!

What really made things nice for us was how comfortable we felt at Outrigger Waikiki. They made us feel at home. The kids loved the other activities as well - the hula lessons, making leis etc.

As for location, it is the best, bar none. You are right across the road from the International Marketplace and it is centrally located to all shops and transport. Since we had kids, we also wanted a place close to a medical centre. This was about a 2 minute walk away at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani (called "Doctors on Call").

Since the hotel is absolute beachfront, there was no road to cross - just wash your feet and up to the hotel room. If you want an umbrella and chairs, make sure you get downstairs at 8.00am. That's when the beach shop is open for these rentals. They're not cheap ($40 a day), but hey, you're on holidays!

All restaurants there are top class. Dukes or Hula Grill for breakfast were great. Chuck's Steak House is beautiful. Great meal and great outlook.

I can't wait to go back. I could stay another 2 weeks in Honolulu, no problems and we would not think of any other place to stay other than Outrigger Waikiki.

15  Thank YanniTraveller
Reviewed July 10, 2007

We spent the first 3 nights of our 10 day stay at his hotel. We are SO glad we picked this hotel. The check in process was fast and easy, I think it took about 3 minutes. We had booked a partial ocean view room, but immediatly upon arrival we were upgraded to a full ocean view room on the 6th floor. The staff was great, the location was great, and the room was better than expected.
The Prime Rib I got at Dukes was fantastic.
I loved this hotel, my wife loved this hotel, and my 2 teenage daughters loved this hotel. We are planning a retun visit.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
11  Thank eaglesfan_7
Reviewed July 10, 2007

Where do I start about this hotel, awful, awful, awful! I cant believe how many good reviews it has to be honest, I thought it should be rated 2/3*. I had been informed that the hotel had recently been modified, but I dont know where exactly.

We traveled to Hawaii for our honeymoon, stopping at Las Vegas on the way to Hawaii staying in the Bellagio, I dont know whether we were comparing this hotel to the Bellagio, but after feeling like royalty there when we got to our room in the Outrigger it seemed like a hostel compared to the Bellagio.

At check in we were waiting around for a while until a desk was available, we were told we had a room upgrade from a partial ocean view room to a full ocean view room, which we were pleased about.

When we got to our room we were situated right out side the lift, so every morning and evening when people came back to their rooms we were woken up, it was sooooo noisy, the walls must be paper thin I have never stayed in a place quite like it. You can hear what everyone is up to in the rooms beside and above you and are woken every time someone flushes the toilet.

When we entered our room we were so disappointed, the room was dated, shabby, the balcony had all paint peeling off it, the bathroom was just awful, with no light in the shower so you basically had to shower in darkness once you had pulled the shower curtain across. And so much for the full ocean view room it was still a partial oceanview room, we hadnt been upgraded at all. I did complain about this at reception but they basically said that they didn’t have another room for us, we could have upgraded to a full ocean suite but that was going to cost an extra $150 a night! We had already paid a fortune to stay in this hotel.

They left a bottle of what was supposed to be champagne in our room for our honeymoon, which was disgusting, we tipped it down the sink it tasted like vinegar!

The maids interrupt you when the do not disturb signs are on, at about 8am (It was our honeymoon and we were suffering with jet lag) anyway if you tell them to come back later they don’t bother. One night we came back to our room to find no clean towels we were furious and it took about 40 minutes after 2 calls to reception and one visit to reception for the maid to bring clean towels, and when she arrived she was laughing much to our annoyance! She certainly didn’t get a tip on departure.

Swimming Pool was the worst swimming pool I have ever seen, it just seemed really tatty and very small, Sun loungers had seen better days and there were not enough to go round. The hotel does supply you with towels but they are sooo tatty and like sand paper! When we couldn’t get a sun lounger we decided to sit on the beach and pay for a sun lounger until we were told it was $40 for two sun loungers and an umberella for the day – what a rip off, we flatly refused to pay this though!

So to sum it all up the hotel is over priced, awful rooms, awful swimming pool and awful staff. What more can I say. If you are looking to have a special holiday do not go to this hotel! Waikiki was overall a big disappointment, it was over crowded, hardly any bars, not enough restaurants, but great for shopping especially if you like your designer labels.

The International market place which is situated across from the hotel is awful too- oh my god I have never seen so many stores selling such rubbish.

We did go to see the rest of the island which is a must other wise you would just think the whole island is concrete and high rise buildings. It is such a shame I think the place has been ruined and a million miles away from the paradise we expected. If you are looking for paradise I would try another island or go somewhere totally different.

The only good thing about the place was the Hulla Grill, happy hour at the Hulla Grill was fab and the staff really friendly. Cocktails are fab too!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple