“Great place to stay on Waikiki beach”

Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Dublin, Ireland
“Great place to stay on Waikiki beach”
Reviewed October 21, 2006

I just got back from a trip to America which included a 9 night stay in Waikiki. I highly recommend staying in the Outrigger on the Beach for anyone planning a stay on Waikiki beach.
When we arrived, myself and my boyfriend were given a room on the cheesecake factory side of the hotel. We had read the reviews on this site before leaving and asked to move to the other side of the hotel. However, we were told by reception that we were high enough up to be away from any noise. However, when we got to the room and opened the balcony door, the noise of the fans was so loud. My boyfriend called reception and asked to be moved, they told us they'd move us the next day. Right enough, next day we were able to leave our cases in the room and head out for the morning and when we got back we (and our cases) had been moved to the other side of the hotel and had been given an upgraded room.
The room and bathroom were large and spotlessly clean and came well equipped with iron, safe, hair dryer, fridge (not mini bar) and a big comfy bed!
The staff were all really friendly and in the lower lobby the information desk would hand out small maps and direct you to almost anywhere.
The pool was small but to be honest I didn't step near it because the beach is literally five steps from the back of the hotel. We got quite a warm spell for October and the beach was very busy most days so if you're looking for long uninhabited beaches then Waikiki is not the place for you. Best tip is get up early and rent a sun lounger and parasol.
There are a few restaurants in the hotel itself however I only went to Dukes. The food there was good and reasonably inexpensive. You can either eat in the restaurant or in the bar area which has more of a snack menu.
A previous poster mentioned ''only one drink per person'' this may come across as slightly misleading. The bar people would only let you have one drink at a time. If you wanted a drink then you had to be at the bar or at the table when the waiter/ess was taking the order and your own glass had to be half empty. I didn't see this as a huge problem and in some ways found it reassuring as it meant there was some control over alcohol consumption! One tip would be to bring ID at all times. My boyfriend and I are both in our mid - late twenties and were ID'ed
for alcohol and cigarettes the whole time and this appeared to be the norm for anyone under 40.
On our last day, the earthquake hit and the whole of waikiki lost power for nearly 12 hours. I must say, the hotel staff really handled it well. We got breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets on the house and the staff remained upbeat and helpful during such a rare occurance.
One last tip - rent a car and take a drive to the north shore for a day!

• Liked — Location, Location, Location!
  • Disliked — Having to leave...
  • Tips/Secrets — Put your name down for a table in Duke's an hour before you want to eat as they don't accept bookings and can be very busy!
10 Thank rach_g

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,377)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Sydney,Australia
Reviewed October 21, 2006

Stayed here between 13th Oct and 17th Oct. After travelling for 16 days across the USA, ie, Anaheim,Las Vegas & New York, we were ready for some rest and relaxation and that is what we got. The room was great with partial ocean views and city views even though we'd only paid for city views. Big enough and confortable for my husband, daughter and me. Right across from the International Market Place and close to any shop or bus stop or anything you wanted. Dukes was fantastic, we had breakfast there every morning and also dinner once.

The staff were excellent- very friendly even during and after the earthquake. Can't commend the staff highly enough including the General Manager Greg, during this difficult time.

We were all fed free of charge, breakfast, lunch and dinner and everyone had smiles on their faces. They were even baking cookies and making popcorn at 8.30 pm, when we still had no electricity.

We had friends at other hotels that were fed but had to pay for their meals even though they queued up just like us.

I would highly recommend this hotel and my family are already planning our trip back in 2008. Mahalo and Aloha!!!!!!!

• Liked — roomy, comfortable and clean.
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
8 Thank Gabster2
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed October 20, 2006

My husband and I booked a week at the JW Ihilani Marriott in Ko Olina. While the resort was very nice, we are young and advernturous and got very bored!!! After having lunch at Duke's one day, we decided to check out of the JW Ihilani and come stay at the Outrigger Waikiki. We were very excited to get upgraded to an ocean view and FREE long distance!!! Great when I needed to call my husband's cell. There were also two free waters in our fridge which was a nice welcome after paying $4 at JW Ihilani. The price was $229 and WELL worth it! Bed was okay, view was awesome. We went on the canoe at the beach and had a blast. We ate at Dukes for breakfast and lunch and you really can't beat it. Great prices, great food, great music, and awesome view. The girls at the front remembered us each time. Free coffee for guests. Gift shops were surprisingly well priced. We had dinner at a sister hotel called Ocean View? Something like that, and it was good. We walked there on the strip, had dinner, and made our way back on the beach stopping at each hotel bar for a drink. It was perfect after having such a quiet week at JW Ihilani. If your looking for fun, excitement and people watching this is the place!

• Liked — The price, location and view
  • Disliked — bed was not very comfortable
  • Tips/Secrets — take the canoes out on the beach
5 Thank LaurenEk77
New York
Reviewed October 16, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Outrigger on the Beach with my parents recently. I was very distraught that I had made the arrangments for us to stay here while my brother was getting married at the Halekulani down the street. You enter the hotel on the busiest strip of Waikiki Beach, which is certainly not the Hawaii of serene Paradise but of cheesy t-shirts shops, chain restaurants and hoards of people. As we ascended the elevator I noticed only the horribly ugly rugs that cover the lobby area and, again, hoards of people in line for one of the Outrigger's three restaurants. Our rooms were "ocean view" on the 3rd floor. My parents room had an obstructed view and was very small. Our room was bigger and had a full ocean view (we paid the same rate). We thought we were the lucky ones until we opened our sliding glass doors to hear the noise from Duke's Waikiki right below our balcony. It was loud out there until well after midnight and, after that, the noise moved to the hotel hallways. In the end, it was not horrible and it was not wonderful, it was just simply fine and disappointing given some of the other hotels we saw on the strip. The place had an overall feeling of Spring Break or Girls Gone Wild. Duke's was a madhouse most of the day and we fell asleep each night to some bad Jimmy Buffet song streaming up through our room as the backdrop to drunk people laughing and carrying on. Now, I am not against a good time but when a hotel bar will only give you "one drink per person" and you are traveling with people in their 40s and 60s, this has got to be a sign. If you want a relaxing stay (tough for Waikiki) at a beautiful hotel, travel further down the beach and spring for the Halekulani!

• Liked — Free phone call and wireless. Nice staff.
  • Disliked — Spring Break atmosphere, noise.
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay at the Halekulani if you want beauty and peace & quiet.
12 Thank Jennifer D
Norridge, Illinois
Reviewed October 14, 2006

We wanted to stay on Waikiki for one night pre-cruise and chose the Outrigger because I happened to find a great deal (<$200 per night) on their website one day, which I never saw again.

We opted for a standard "city" view room. Upon check-in I (barely) mentioned wanting something on the quiet side of the hotel (after reading previous reviews here) and was given a partial ocean view room with no hesitation at no extra charge. The room was clean, modern and tastefully decorated. I really felt like I was in Hawaii upon entering.

We felt the service was great and even my 11 year old commented on how good it was.

We enjoyed eating lunch at Duke's right on the beach. I found was surprisingly inexpensive for a hotel restaurant.

The location was great. It's right across the street from the International Marketplace and right in the middle of all the shopping and restaurants you could ever want. I commented to my family about how Vegas-like it was there.

The only negative I could come up with would be the pool. If you are traveling with small children be forewarned. The depth starts at over four feet and graduates to eight feet with no really shallow place for little ones. They will definitely enjoy the beach more than hanging out on the small stair landing.

• Liked — Location, location, location
  • Disliked — pool a bit outdated
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
7 Thank kawill
sydney
Reviewed October 12, 2006

we booked 6 months earlier for an ocean front room, but were told none was available. given an "ocean view room". our view consisted of the cheesecake factory, which was unbearably noisy 24 hrs a day, and a tiny sliver of ocean view. we asked for another room, but were told none was available. and that this was an ocean view room. when you book, state that you want a room on the other side of hotel. apart from this everything was great, staff, food, ameneties were perfect.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
10 Thank azzinan
Lexington, KY
Reviewed October 8, 2006

We enjoyed staying at this hotel because of its location, the views and the friendly and accommodating staff. The rooms were average -- nicely decorated, roomy, but obviously old. The hotel was undergoing renovation at the time, so this may be improved in the future. The location on the beach was ideal for surfing and for "beach-watching" from our beach chairs (for those of us who do not surf). In the late afternoon, many hours after we had already checked out, the hotel graciously allowed us to use their "shower room" a full hotel room that they gave us for 30 minutes supplied with towels, shampoo, soap, hair dryer, etc. to clean up after being on the beach before catching a cab to the airport. This allowed us to fully enjoy a day that otherwise would have been just a travel day (we wouldn't have gone to the beach if we couldn't shower before getting on a 9 hour flight back to the mainland). We would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — rooms a little older
  • Tips/Secrets — ask about the shower room which you can use to clean up after you have checked out
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple