“Superb hotel, thoroughly recommended”

Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed August 30, 2005

Just recently returned from a five night stay at this wonderful hotel. We found every aspect of this hotel to be excellent, from the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff to the size and comfort of the room, and of course the fantastic location. This hotel is one of very few that is located directly on the beach - most of the hotels in Waikiki are across a busy road from the beach. You can step from the hotel on to the terrace by the pool, and then straight on to the beach. The pool is lovely - bigger than the one at the Royal Hawaiian which is just next door!

The hotel is walking distance from all the amenities of Waikiki and is directly opposite the International Marketplace. If you don't want to eat at one of the three restaurants situated inside the hotel, you are next door to the Cheesecake Factory and other restaurants are close by. The view from the restaurants inside the hotel can't be beaten, however, and the food and atmosphere are excellent too. The breakfast buffet at Duke's is very good.

The rooms are large and comfortable. We had two Queen size beds and the sofa converted to a bed - more than enough space for two adults and two children. Wonderful rocking chairs on the lanai. There is free internet access, free morning newspaper, washing facilities (vital with two grubby children!), a fridge and tea/coffee making facilites - everything that you could want. Very welcome turn down service - new towels provided in the evening, flowers on the pillow - lovely. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

15  Thank LauraUK
There are newer reviews for Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort

Reviewed August 29, 2005

Myself, wife and 2 teenagers (17,19) just got back from 8 days and 7 nights stay at the Outrigger Waikiki. After a 5 hour delay in San Diego, a faulty air condition coil on Hawaiian Airlines, we finally arrived safe and sound. I surprised the family with limo service from the airport (ABC Limo Service - Mahalo Melvin!) to the hotel. Awesome! My check-in was quick and easy. After reading about the 14th-16th floor express elevator, I booked a 15th floor Ocean View Room. Personally, I thought I would be more facing the ocean, however, still had a great view. Note - the express elevator worked about 1/2 the time we were there, however, didn't have problem with regular elevators. Everyone was very friendly. The room was a bit small but we were hardly in it! If renting a car, the valet is $15 a day plus tips. If you need to know where to go, the valets are very helpful. We had 2 breakfast buffet tickets a day, which can be used at either Duke's or Hula Grill. The buffet is just ok. You'll wait 15 minutes for an omelet though! The Hula was much quieter and the view is a little better. Speaking of views, spectacular! The beach is nice. Gets real crowded though. There are 2 levels at the pool. Either is fine. Just get down and get your chairs before 9:00. We tried eating at Duke's one night and it was so ridiculously crowded, I gave up. There are so many more places to go than Duke's. For example, Cheesburger (I had the cburger with the fried egg on top - awesome!), Keoni's, Seaside Grill, Leonard's, and Cheesecake Factory (there's a wait here but surprisingly shorter!), to name a few.

As far as activities go, we went to Hanamau Bay snorkeling. I found a package deal through one of the many coupon books for snorkling and the Paradise Cove luau with tax - $61 a person. I think the place was Magnum Tours. It's west on the strip next to an indoor shooting range. Snorkeling was great, no turtles though. Make sure to get outside the barrier. You can do it! The luau was surprisingly the best part of my trip. I had a great time. The bus ride is fun as well as the entertainment and food. The sunset was spectacular! I played golf one day. We went to the swap meet. Hot and just ok. We went to Pearl Harbor and the Arizona Memorial and afterwards drove around the island.

Man, I can just say we had a great time. The island is friendly and gorgeous. The hotel was ok. If you got the money, I'd probably stay next door at the Surfrider Moana but the Outrigger is cool.

I'd be happy to share with you anything else if you have questions!

18  Thank timn62
Reviewed August 27, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Outrigger from 8/15/05 to 8/22/05. We had a partial oceanview room on the 6th floor. The room was very clean and had a fridge, free safe and the usual amenities. Our view was just that- partial, as expected, but be aware you will have a view of everyone staying at the hotel across from you as well. The walls are very thin ( we could hear people next to us talking in a normal tone) and the elevators are always crowded and slow. Our housekeeping service was hit or miss, depending on what time our room was cleaned. The valet service is $15 a day charged to your room and you have to use it if you have a car. We recommend having a car if you want to tour the island and get away from Waikiki. Everything else is within walking distance- shops, restaurants, bars, etc. There is an ABC store on every block- no kidding, which is actually good because the service in the hotel shop is terrible. Everything is more expensive there and the clerks didn't know their own prices on the items!! I believe it is called the Kaui Marketplace. The beach is beautiful, but crowded during the day- walk it at night for a more relaxing view. We recommend going to Diamondhead, Pearl Harbor and the USS Missouri too. We also spent the day at the Polynesian Cultural Center enjoying the luau and evening show. It would be great for kids to see. The Ala Moana Shopping Center has every store you can think of, but can be pricey. Moose McGillycuddy's has great drinks and food and is just 3 blocks away. Dukes, the Hula Grill and Chuck's are very expensive but you did get a beautiful view. Call ahead a couple of days to make dinner reservations at Dukes. It is that busy. Overall the Outrigger is a decent hotel. We paid just under $350 for our partial oceanview but considering the issues I mentioned above I wouldn't do it again. Personally Waikiki and the Outrigger are too busy for our taste. It is just one of those things where you don't know until you try it.

18  Thank jas1silver
Reviewed August 16, 2005

We have just completed a magnificant 8-day adventure on the island of Hawaii, where we resided at the Outriggers Waikiki on the Beach hotel. Although this chain of hotels is not very well known outside of the mainland, the accommodations were superb and the service was prompt, friendly and professional.
We had reviewed other comments on this hotel prior to departing for our honeymoon/vacation, so our expectations were very high. There was no disappointment. The hotel recently completed a multi-million dollar renovation and it was clear that every step had been taken to make this one of the best hotels in the area.
Upon our arrival, we were given an immediate upgrade from the partial ocean view room we had reserved to a full ocean view, which was incredible; along with a complimentary bottle of champagne.
This hotel was designed to accommodate almost every taste; restaurants ranged from the luxurious to the most casual. Our first meal was at the Hula Grill, which was wonderful. We ate a buffet breakfast each morning at Duke's Canoe Club (excellent) and often took advantage of the adjacent restaurants along the strip for lunch and dinner.
Since we were celebrating our marriage, as well as my 50th birthday, my husband and I set out to see as much of Oahu as we could. The staff of the activities desk arranged some great adventures; i.e., submarine dives, deep sea fishing, dinner cruises, luau. It was all fantastic!! I must add, the trips were a little expensive, but well worth it. The highlight of our trip was when my husband landed a 50 lb Baracuda on our deep sea fishing adventure.
One note, our vacation package included the use of a rental car. This hotel is located on millionaires row, an area where a car is really not needed; almost every type of high-end entertainment, shopping, restaurant is located within walking distance. There is also a trolley car that travels the entire route of the entertainment district, which includes the mall. The rate for parking at the hotel was $15.00 per day and there is no public parking available. So if you don't want an unnecessary, added expense, don't bother to rent a car.
Finally, if you're planning to travel to Hawaii during the summer, DO NOT USE A BUDDY PASS! This was the only nightmare of our trip. You can get onto the island, but you can't get off!! We tried to utilize our pass for 4 days with no success; there were people stuck in the airport who had been there for more than 6 days. We ended up paying more for 2 tickets from Honolulu to Los Angeles than we had paid for the entire vacation. (What a bummer!!)
Otherwise, this was the kind of trip that dreams are made of.

23  Thank mrsgapeach
Reviewed August 16, 2005

We returned yesterday from a total five day stay at the Outrigger on the Beach. This is a wonderful hotel, with great restaurants Duke's and Chuck's Steak house. We loved the breakfast buffet at Duke's. The view of Waikiki Beach at both restaurants was fabulous. The personnel from the registration desk, maid service and valet (who called me to say that I left my camera in the car and retrieved it for me) was outstanding. We had booked a city view, but got a an almost direct view of the beach. You can't go wrong with this hotel. The Outrigger on the Beach is a true Aloha experience. My only mistake was booking my reservations for the Outrigger and airfare through Hawaii Aloha Travel. I would best describe my experience as a nightmare. Wrong and non existant names on hotel vouchers, request for a midsize car and they booked a compact and the worst mistake was booking one person in our in our party on completely different flights and flight times from the rest of our group not once, but twice, which we didn't know had happened until arriving at the airport. I would never use this tour group again and would not recommend it to anyone.

11  Thank LovetotravelPa
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 16, 2005

We stayed here 2 nights and have never had a better hotel experience. As soon as we drove up we were taken care of promptly and with great service. Without us asking they upgraded us from an Oceanfront room to a Deluxe Oceanfront Suite at no extra charge! It was a corner room on the 7th floor so we had an ocean view and a spectacular view of Waikiki and Diamond Head. Our room had a separate bedroom and 2 full baths. It was spacious and very clean. Cleanliness is my #1 priority in a hotel room and this was outstanding. We ate breakfast at the Hula Grill and had a drink at Dukes and both were great. The lei making class on Friday morning was fun. I only wish we could have stayed longer. I will definitely return!

• Stayed: July 2005
17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Chambers, NE
Reviewed August 9, 2005

We stayed there for 1 week. Rooms were super. Our room had a sofabed and 2 full beds which worked great for our 2 children. The hotel's location was the best on the beach. Also, the way the pool was elevated allowed you to lounge on the pool deck and still see the beach from the pool. The pool it should be noted is very deep if you have small children. I think it goes from 4' to about 8' deep. Duke's at the Hotel had a supurb breakfast buffet for slightly over 12.00. Overall, we had an excellent time and the staff was great.

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member