“Paradise at Outriggers and Other Destinations!!”

Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed August 16, 2005

We have just completed a magnificant 8-day adventure on the island of Hawaii, where we resided at the Outriggers Waikiki on the Beach hotel. Although this chain of hotels is not very well known outside of the mainland, the accommodations were superb and the service was prompt, friendly and professional.
We had reviewed other comments on this hotel prior to departing for our honeymoon/vacation, so our expectations were very high. There was no disappointment. The hotel recently completed a multi-million dollar renovation and it was clear that every step had been taken to make this one of the best hotels in the area.
Upon our arrival, we were given an immediate upgrade from the partial ocean view room we had reserved to a full ocean view, which was incredible; along with a complimentary bottle of champagne.
This hotel was designed to accommodate almost every taste; restaurants ranged from the luxurious to the most casual. Our first meal was at the Hula Grill, which was wonderful. We ate a buffet breakfast each morning at Duke's Canoe Club (excellent) and often took advantage of the adjacent restaurants along the strip for lunch and dinner.
Since we were celebrating our marriage, as well as my 50th birthday, my husband and I set out to see as much of Oahu as we could. The staff of the activities desk arranged some great adventures; i.e., submarine dives, deep sea fishing, dinner cruises, luau. It was all fantastic!! I must add, the trips were a little expensive, but well worth it. The highlight of our trip was when my husband landed a 50 lb Baracuda on our deep sea fishing adventure.
One note, our vacation package included the use of a rental car. This hotel is located on millionaires row, an area where a car is really not needed; almost every type of high-end entertainment, shopping, restaurant is located within walking distance. There is also a trolley car that travels the entire route of the entertainment district, which includes the mall. The rate for parking at the hotel was $15.00 per day and there is no public parking available. So if you don't want an unnecessary, added expense, don't bother to rent a car.
Finally, if you're planning to travel to Hawaii during the summer, DO NOT USE A BUDDY PASS! This was the only nightmare of our trip. You can get onto the island, but you can't get off!! We tried to utilize our pass for 4 days with no success; there were people stuck in the airport who had been there for more than 6 days. We ended up paying more for 2 tickets from Honolulu to Los Angeles than we had paid for the entire vacation. (What a bummer!!)
Otherwise, this was the kind of trip that dreams are made of.

23  Thank mrsgapeach

Reviewed August 16, 2005

We returned yesterday from a total five day stay at the Outrigger on the Beach. This is a wonderful hotel, with great restaurants Duke's and Chuck's Steak house. We loved the breakfast buffet at Duke's. The view of Waikiki Beach at both restaurants was fabulous. The personnel from the registration desk, maid service and valet (who called me to say that I left my camera in the car and retrieved it for me) was outstanding. We had booked a city view, but got a an almost direct view of the beach. You can't go wrong with this hotel. The Outrigger on the Beach is a true Aloha experience. My only mistake was booking my reservations for the Outrigger and airfare through Hawaii Aloha Travel. I would best describe my experience as a nightmare. Wrong and non existant names on hotel vouchers, request for a midsize car and they booked a compact and the worst mistake was booking one person in our in our party on completely different flights and flight times from the rest of our group not once, but twice, which we didn't know had happened until arriving at the airport. I would never use this tour group again and would not recommend it to anyone.

11  Thank LovetotravelPa
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 16, 2005

We stayed here 2 nights and have never had a better hotel experience. As soon as we drove up we were taken care of promptly and with great service. Without us asking they upgraded us from an Oceanfront room to a Deluxe Oceanfront Suite at no extra charge! It was a corner room on the 7th floor so we had an ocean view and a spectacular view of Waikiki and Diamond Head. Our room had a separate bedroom and 2 full baths. It was spacious and very clean. Cleanliness is my #1 priority in a hotel room and this was outstanding. We ate breakfast at the Hula Grill and had a drink at Dukes and both were great. The lei making class on Friday morning was fun. I only wish we could have stayed longer. I will definitely return!

• Stayed: July 2005
17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Chambers, NE
Reviewed August 9, 2005

We stayed there for 1 week. Rooms were super. Our room had a sofabed and 2 full beds which worked great for our 2 children. The hotel's location was the best on the beach. Also, the way the pool was elevated allowed you to lounge on the pool deck and still see the beach from the pool. The pool it should be noted is very deep if you have small children. I think it goes from 4' to about 8' deep. Duke's at the Hotel had a supurb breakfast buffet for slightly over 12.00. Overall, we had an excellent time and the staff was great.

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 9, 2005

If you want the best, book Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach and ask for an ocean view room. Pretty impressive...the best staff, the best place to eat..Dukes, and the smart rooms...the a/c shuts off when you open the lanai door and it comes on when you walk into the room or shut the lanai door (sliding). It was for our 20th anniv. Hubby ordered a tropical flower arrangement and the staff had it waiting there along with a plate of fresh fruit, cheese/crackers and some truffles. Also a bottle of wine in the fridge! Listening to the waves crash against the beach was the best. Eating an included breakfast buffet every morning at Duke's added a few pounds, however. Only one negative to this hotel and that was the crazy, over-worked elevators that had trouble closing once. All three seemed to have the same problem. Lots of people here, but we think it just adds to the experience!

17  Thank Annettencalif
Reviewed August 1, 2005

We had a fabulous time at the Outrigger. We got our room for $169, which is about unheard-of in such a nice place along such a nice stretch of Waikiki Beach. This is the Entertainment Card rate, also available on some sites online. I had asked for a room with two doubles and a sofa bed as we were traveling with our teenage son and daughter, but that was not available because those are the more expensive rooms. We got a city view room with two double beds and housekeeping brought up a rollaway as well. The fridge in the room was very convenient. What people say about the city view rooms is true- when my husband and I went out on the lanai, we could see the ocean just fine. We had our breakfast out there every morning. The room also comes with a coffee maker with kona coffee. I left a note for the maid that we needed decaf, and she left us two bags of it as well as the regular coffee every night. The shampoo, conditioner and lotion in the bathroom had a beautiful Hawaiian flower smell. This was just one of the many lovely touches at the Outrigger.
A little more about the beaches-just outside the Outrigger is a beautiful swimming beach. Towards the Moana is a great beginner's surfing beach with surf lessons available. My son and I walked down to the park by Fort DeRussy where you can rent kayaks or water bicycles from Prime Time Sports, but be careful if you swim around there. There is a lot of coral with sea urchins in it, and I cut my hand on one of the sea urchins.

• Stayed: July 2005
15  Thank dwheatl
Reviewed August 1, 2005

My husband and I had visited Waikiki beach 2 years ago and stayed elsewhere but found ourselves dining at "Dukes" several times. We were impressed with what we saw so decided to stay there this trip with our 2 granddaughters who had just lost their mom. We were greatly impressed from the valet service and greeting to the wonderful housekeeper who took care of us. Our room was spacious and had everything we needed including an awesome "partial" ocean view! Both girls are already begging to go again and I wouldn't even think of staying anywhere else. I'm planning on returning next year with my adult daughters and plan to be pampered again at this wonderful place.

• Stayed: March 2005