“Wah! I miss the ocean outside our door!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort

Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #13 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Northern California
“Wah! I miss the ocean outside our door!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2005

We had a fabulous time at the Outrigger. We got our room for $169, which is about unheard-of in such a nice place along such a nice stretch of Waikiki Beach. This is the Entertainment Card rate, also available on some sites online. I had asked for a room with two doubles and a sofa bed as we were traveling with our teenage son and daughter, but that was not available because those are the more expensive rooms. We got a city view room with two double beds and housekeeping brought up a rollaway as well. The fridge in the room was very convenient. What people say about the city view rooms is true- when my husband and I went out on the lanai, we could see the ocean just fine. We had our breakfast out there every morning. The room also comes with a coffee maker with kona coffee. I left a note for the maid that we needed decaf, and she left us two bags of it as well as the regular coffee every night. The shampoo, conditioner and lotion in the bathroom had a beautiful Hawaiian flower smell. This was just one of the many lovely touches at the Outrigger.
A little more about the beaches-just outside the Outrigger is a beautiful swimming beach. Towards the Moana is a great beginner's surfing beach with surf lessons available. My son and I walked down to the park by Fort DeRussy where you can rent kayaks or water bicycles from Prime Time Sports, but be careful if you swim around there. There is a lot of coral with sea urchins in it, and I cut my hand on one of the sea urchins.

15 Thank dwheatl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,317)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Madison, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2005

My husband and I had visited Waikiki beach 2 years ago and stayed elsewhere but found ourselves dining at "Dukes" several times. We were impressed with what we saw so decided to stay there this trip with our 2 granddaughters who had just lost their mom. We were greatly impressed from the valet service and greeting to the wonderful housekeeper who took care of us. Our room was spacious and had everything we needed including an awesome "partial" ocean view! Both girls are already begging to go again and I wouldn't even think of staying anywhere else. I'm planning on returning next year with my adult daughters and plan to be pampered again at this wonderful place.

• Stayed March 2005
14 Thank vickie b
Shelby Twp, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2005

What an awesome hotel!!! We just returned from 8 days of paradise!! Truly wonderful!! For the people who wrote bad reviews, I dont know where they stayed, couldnt have been here. The only bad thing was the front desk people were not very friendly and elevators were slow. Big Deal! Everyone else was soooo friendly, food was awesome at all 3 restaurants at the hotel. We went to the Cheescake Factory (next door) and was a waste of a 1 1/2 hour wait food not that good and we had burgers and fish and it was more than eating filet and market price seafood at Chucks at the hotel. Beach was beautiful, rooms were great!!!! You are in the middle of everything at this hotel and the prices are wonderful. compared to Maui it is half the price for everything. Pina Colado $6-Beer $4. GREAT PLACE!!!!! Cant wait to go back!!

13 Thank sylvia23
texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2005

My mother, sister-in-law and I stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki from June 30th, 2005 to July 4th, 2005. We were originally booked at the Waikiki Parc Hotel, but due to overbooking, we were sent to the Outrigger. It was absolutely beautiful! They put us on the 16th floor in a partial ocean view room. When we got up to the room and saw the view, my mom was kind of disappointed because she had paid for a deluxe ocean view at the Parc. We were going on a sunset dinner cruise that night, so we didn't have time to talk to the hotel about changing rooms. The next morning, my mom and I got up and went down to see about another room. The wonderful lady at the front desk had us check out one room (it was an ocean view, but it was a smoking room). We went back down and told her it was a little too smokey smelling for us. She found an ocean FRONT room on the 5th floor and let us have that one! It was so beautiful. It was the most georgeous view - like you see only in the brochures! The staff at the Outrigger was so helpful the entire time! They did whatever they could to make our stay what we wanted it to be. The rooms were clean and very comfortable. It is a great hotel and I would certainly recommend it!

11 Thank reedsmomma
Hexham, Northumberland, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2005

Just got back after spending 5 days here with my family. Fabulous position on the beach with excellent service and friendly, efficient staff. We tried Dukes a few times and the food was very good and while it might be a little expensive compared to other non-beachside locations, the views are absolutely stunning.

We stayed in one room (parents plus 2 kids (aged 19 and 16)) but found it to be clean, well fitted out and with plenty of space.

Must see trips - Diamond Head, Pearl Harbour and a drive up Highway 3.

As first time visitors to Hawaii we read the reviews in advance and I can honestly say, Trip Advisor is a perfect compliment to anyone's travel plans - it is a must use facility.

15 Thank FamilyBroad
Boyds, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2005

This hotel was just amazing! I could not think of even one bad thing to say. This hotel saved our vacation. I arrived to Oahu on the 5th and was horrified by the hotel I originally booked (The Waikiki Parc). There was major construction at this hotel so we were on our way to find a new hotel. We found the Outrigger and our dreams came true. This hotel is so beautiful. It is so clean. And the staff is so nice, knowledgeable, and helpful. We walked in the hotel on the morning of the 6th asking if they had any openings. We told them we were tight on money because the money we spent on our other hotel was not going to be put back into our acount until a few days. So, the receptionist said that she could give us a great rate on the city view. We were extremely happy because we were ready to take anything. She showed us the room and we were amazed. We could not believe this room was classified as a city view room. Yes you could see the beautiful city but you also had a full view of the gorgeous ocean. It was just amazing. The rooms were so nicely decorated as well. It just made you feel as comfortable as can be! The pool was very clean too, and not too crowded. All of the restaurants in the hotel were superb! Dukes was my favorite. There was always a wait but it was worth it. There was also The Hula Grill. They were terrific also. Every night on the hotels deck there is a live band that plays great music. Everyone dances and it is so much fun. By the way, this hotel is right in front of the cleanest and most beautiful part of the beach. You can see a full view of the whole coastline, including Diamond Head. It was just breath taking! The Outrigger was just a dream come true. I could not believe how lucky my family was to have found this hotel. Just to let every body know any room is terrific at this hotel no matter if it is a City View or Deluxe Ocean View. Every room is able to see a great view of the ocean.

20 Thank WaikikiLover
seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2005

I just got back from Staying 5 nights @ the Outrigger on the Beach WAIKIKI. June 6/26-7/1. We loved the hotel and location. It was our honeymoom so they upgraded us to a partial ocean view on the east side floor 2. It was a gorgeous view. You can see the surfers out at 6 am waiting for waves. Be sure to book on the eastside and our lower level got us off the elevators quick. They can get crowded at times. The beach is right below. I recommend buying a raft or bringing one to just float on the beach. We saw a sea turtle in the water there. The ABC store right across the street will put air into your raft or intertube for 60 cents. Those stores are everywhere and you can get almost anything you forgot to bring. In the morning get up for a nice jog, we did at 6:30 am. The streets are not crowded at that time. Best jog in paradise! We went to the Royal Hawaiian Luau. It was alright. The show was good but try to get a seat in the middle for the best view. I really would next time at 5:45 pm go the the Hotel's Mai tai Bar and just sit there and chill and watch the ENTIRE show from your seat in their outside tables. They have a show every Monday night thay starts seating at 6 pm. Thats my tip for everyone !!!
Buy or bring an umbrella to Hanauma Bay and if you have your own snorkel equipment bring that to save some money. The sun is scorching hot when the wind is not blowing. The beach umbrella we brough saved us from getting burned.
A great breakfast $2.99 for 2 pancakes bacon and 2 eggs deal is Tsunami on Kuhio. One Block up from the hotel just walk a few blocks westward. We ate there twice. Eat at Cheesecake factory early like 4 pm the lines will get long.
Here's another tip, If you buy your trip through expedia dont buy the airport transfers. Long drive and they pick you up with all the other people too and drop people off hotel by hotel. Next time we will get a cab for sure.
Hope this review helps. We will stay here again for sure.

• Stayed June 2005