“Awesome place to stay”

Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #13 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed July 28, 2005

My mother, sister-in-law and I stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki from June 30th, 2005 to July 4th, 2005. We were originally booked at the Waikiki Parc Hotel, but due to overbooking, we were sent to the Outrigger. It was absolutely beautiful! They put us on the 16th floor in a partial ocean view room. When we got up to the room and saw the view, my mom was kind of disappointed because she had paid for a deluxe ocean view at the Parc. We were going on a sunset dinner cruise that night, so we didn't have time to talk to the hotel about changing rooms. The next morning, my mom and I got up and went down to see about another room. The wonderful lady at the front desk had us check out one room (it was an ocean view, but it was a smoking room). We went back down and told her it was a little too smokey smelling for us. She found an ocean FRONT room on the 5th floor and let us have that one! It was so beautiful. It was the most georgeous view - like you see only in the brochures! The staff at the Outrigger was so helpful the entire time! They did whatever they could to make our stay what we wanted it to be. The rooms were clean and very comfortable. It is a great hotel and I would certainly recommend it!

11  Thank reedsmomma
Write a ReviewReviews (5,063)

Reviewed July 23, 2005

Just got back after spending 5 days here with my family. Fabulous position on the beach with excellent service and friendly, efficient staff. We tried Dukes a few times and the food was very good and while it might be a little expensive compared to other non-beachside locations, the views are absolutely stunning.

We stayed in one room (parents plus 2 kids (aged 19 and 16)) but found it to be clean, well fitted out and with plenty of space.

Must see trips - Diamond Head, Pearl Harbour and a drive up Highway 3.

As first time visitors to Hawaii we read the reviews in advance and I can honestly say, Trip Advisor is a perfect compliment to anyone's travel plans - it is a must use facility.

• Stayed: July 2005
15  Thank FamilyBroad
Reviewed July 16, 2005

This hotel was just amazing! I could not think of even one bad thing to say. This hotel saved our vacation. I arrived to Oahu on the 5th and was horrified by the hotel I originally booked (The Waikiki Parc). There was major construction at this hotel so we were on our way to find a new hotel. We found the Outrigger and our dreams came true. This hotel is so beautiful. It is so clean. And the staff is so nice, knowledgeable, and helpful. We walked in the hotel on the morning of the 6th asking if they had any openings. We told them we were tight on money because the money we spent on our other hotel was not going to be put back into our acount until a few days. So, the receptionist said that she could give us a great rate on the city view. We were extremely happy because we were ready to take anything. She showed us the room and we were amazed. We could not believe this room was classified as a city view room. Yes you could see the beautiful city but you also had a full view of the gorgeous ocean. It was just amazing. The rooms were so nicely decorated as well. It just made you feel as comfortable as can be! The pool was very clean too, and not too crowded. All of the restaurants in the hotel were superb! Dukes was my favorite. There was always a wait but it was worth it. There was also The Hula Grill. They were terrific also. Every night on the hotels deck there is a live band that plays great music. Everyone dances and it is so much fun. By the way, this hotel is right in front of the cleanest and most beautiful part of the beach. You can see a full view of the whole coastline, including Diamond Head. It was just breath taking! The Outrigger was just a dream come true. I could not believe how lucky my family was to have found this hotel. Just to let every body know any room is terrific at this hotel no matter if it is a City View or Deluxe Ocean View. Every room is able to see a great view of the ocean.

• Stayed: July 2005
20  Thank WaikikiLover
Reviewed July 4, 2005

I just got back from Staying 5 nights @ the Outrigger on the Beach WAIKIKI. June 6/26-7/1. We loved the hotel and location. It was our honeymoom so they upgraded us to a partial ocean view on the east side floor 2. It was a gorgeous view. You can see the surfers out at 6 am waiting for waves. Be sure to book on the eastside and our lower level got us off the elevators quick. They can get crowded at times. The beach is right below. I recommend buying a raft or bringing one to just float on the beach. We saw a sea turtle in the water there. The ABC store right across the street will put air into your raft or intertube for 60 cents. Those stores are everywhere and you can get almost anything you forgot to bring. In the morning get up for a nice jog, we did at 6:30 am. The streets are not crowded at that time. Best jog in paradise! We went to the Royal Hawaiian Luau. It was alright. The show was good but try to get a seat in the middle for the best view. I really would next time at 5:45 pm go the the Hotel's Mai tai Bar and just sit there and chill and watch the ENTIRE show from your seat in their outside tables. They have a show every Monday night thay starts seating at 6 pm. Thats my tip for everyone !!!
Buy or bring an umbrella to Hanauma Bay and if you have your own snorkel equipment bring that to save some money. The sun is scorching hot when the wind is not blowing. The beach umbrella we brough saved us from getting burned.
A great breakfast $2.99 for 2 pancakes bacon and 2 eggs deal is Tsunami on Kuhio. One Block up from the hotel just walk a few blocks westward. We ate there twice. Eat at Cheesecake factory early like 4 pm the lines will get long.
Here's another tip, If you buy your trip through expedia dont buy the airport transfers. Long drive and they pick you up with all the other people too and drop people off hotel by hotel. Next time we will get a cab for sure.
Hope this review helps. We will stay here again for sure.

• Stayed: June 2005
34  Thank guccifitme
A TripAdvisor Member
Warwickshire, England
Reviewed July 1, 2005

Had a wonderful stay for 11 nights at the Outrigger Waikiki on the beach. We booked a city view room because we don't spend that much time sat on the balcony however we had a lovely view of the beach from the side of the balcony. We were on the 9th floor and our other view was towards downtown Honolulu which was also nice. The rooms on the other side of the hotel would have had the rooms from the Sheraton directly in front of them, but we had nothing directly in front of our room at all.

Didn't eat at the hotel much, burgers by the pool which were lovely and Chucks a couple of nights and sat outside to watch the sunset! We did love the Cheesecake factory and ate there 3 times. You can't book, but when you ask for a table you get a pger which goes off when your table is ready so you can walk round the shops. Had breakfasts most days at Moose's which was about 3 blocks from the hotel and did lovely breakfasts. The evening meals there were very reasonable too.

Booked all our excursions through the activities desk at the hotel and they were really helpful with arranging everything to make sure we did all that we wanted.

Went into the sea most days which was really refreshing. A warning to all with fair skin. I burnt on the first day wearing factor 25 suncream which I have never done in Mexico or Cuba. The sun is much stonger in Hawaii, so beware!!!

All the service we got in the hotel was excellent. Everybody was really kind and helpful. We had our bags delivered to our room only 5 minutes after we had arrived. The location of the hotel is great, right on the beach which many hotels weren't, and close to all the great shops and resturants and I would stay there again if I went to Hawaii.

• Stayed: June 2005
28  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 30, 2005

Great Hotel. Spent 8 night here on our honeymoon and we both very pleased. The great thing about this hotel is location!!! Your right on the beach and all the main shops are very close.

The activity desk is very helpful, they managed to arrange everything for us.

The main bar/resturant is fantastic, as the available gym, swimming pool etc.

The only con I suppose is the partial sea view rooms mean only parcial! recommend an ocean facing room, however the rooms themselves were great!

• Stayed: July 2004
8  Thank intelligence69
A TripAdvisor Member
Parsippany, NJ
Reviewed June 25, 2005

I experience the worst stay of my life at this hotel. When we arrived there was a problem with our reservation, and because of the time difference it could not be resolved at that time. The staff did give us a room without hassle, but then could not seem to resolve the problem with our room in any expedient fashion. We only were staying there the night, and it wasn't until we were an hour away from leaving for the airport (almost 24 hours later), that the bill was resolved. And that included numerous phone calls throughout the day to the hotel to check on progress. Then when we went to collect our bags, which we had left at the hotel so we could go to the Arizona Memorial and Pearl Harbor they had lost a bag. The Bell Captain insisted we had never given the bags to him and we must be mistaken, but our claim ticket clearly stated 5 items and there were only 4 on the carriage. The man made little attempt to look in other places that the bag could be. It was only be intervention of another bell person that we were taken to the manager of the hotel, who resolved our issue. The bag was found in a locked upstairs bathroom, that neither myself, nor my travel partner had been in. The bags themselves were kept in a very open, and easily accesible area. Anyone who stays in this hotel should be very careful with their belongings, and very vigilant with the staff. If my travel companion had not been as vocal as she was our entire trip would have been ruined.

• Stayed: May 2005