“Loved Our Holiday!”

Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #13 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed April 2, 2005

We ( 2 adults, 2 kids) stayed 10 days March 18-28. Booked a city-view room, and we were upgraded to ocean-view. The room was clean, and just right for space. Enjoyed the walk-in closet and appreciated safe. ALL staff were friendly and helpful. Our room wasn't cleaned one day, and we phoned front-desk. The staff was up within 5 minutes to do thorough cleaning.

The pool and lower-level lobby quite noisy due to Duke's Restaurant. I didn't enjoy most bands ( I like to hear Hawaiian music in Hawaii) but husband liked them. Breakfast buffet at Duke's okay. Hot-tub closed at 3pm on Fri, Sat. & Sun. due to bands playing, and meal service on the patio. Great view of Diamond Head while swimming in pool! Lava Flow was the BEST drink. Shorebird Restaurant at Outrigger Reef had a great salad bar, and husband enjoyed steak. Daughter and I enjoyed making a lei at free class on Friday mornings. Make sure to get there before 10am to get a seat at tables.

Husband and daughter took Outrigger snorkelling sailing trip in a.m., and said the turtles were amazing. Very nice beach right in front of hotel.

If you order pizza, get it from Papa John's, not Round Table at Sheraton! We phoned around, and it is $40 (2 mediums) from Round Table, and that was a pick-up order. Papa John's was $22 for 2 mediums delivered, when we mentioned a coupon we saw in yellow pages in room.

Rented a car 3 days to go to Hanauma Bay & North Shore, and other beaches. Waimanalo Beach near Sea Life Park is the most beautiful beach we saw, and not crowded at all.

We had a very relaxing, fun holiday.

• Stayed: March 2005
16  Thank BCTraveler
Write a ReviewReviews (5,063)

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 21, 2005

My partner and I are from Australia, we didn't want a party hotel but didn't want a place that had over rated people that were stuck up either! And coming from a long way away, my research was complete when we chose to stay at the Outrigger on the beach. We paid a little extra for a two week stay - we had a partial ocean view room for one week and a delux front ocean view room the following week... what a treat, we loved it. Noise??? there was no noise that we could here from either room - I guess, you get what you pay for! The staff were EXCELLENT, rooms were clean and fresh, beds very comfy, and the beach was at your feet! We didn't use the pool - as it got crowded quickly - but who needs it when the beach is at your doorstep. Sure it gets a little croweded - its one of the best hotels on the island - we were there over the Halloween period - but if you want seclusion then dont go to Waikiki at all!

You gotta try the Hula Pie at Dukes - it rocks! So does the food in general. We are planning our next trip and are going to stay at the same hotel.

• Stayed: November 2004
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 17, 2005

Just got back March 17th from an 8 night stay in Honolulu. 5 of the nights were at the Outrigger Waikiki. We're a family of 2 adults, 2 daughters aged 10 & 7.

It's a very nice hotel, and has a great location on the beach of Waikiki. If you're looking for the action of Waikiki, this is a good spot to be - close to everything.

Concierge - Mike - was great & very helpful, and housekeeping was done well (the $3 / day tip helped, I'm sure).

The rooms were nice, but not huge. We had a partial oceanview and it was fine. Ours had a pull out couch, in addition to the 2 double beds, and that was convenient. There was a little fridge in the room, so we stocked up with some things from the ABC store across the street.

Duke's, the main restaurant / bar, has good food & is packed at night. A little pricey, but it's vacation. If you go for dinner, get a reservation or be prepared for an hour plus wait.

Unfortunately, the fire alarm went on & off very quickly at 5am one night. About 15 minutes later, the manager gets on the speaker (each room has a speaker) and says it's a false alarm. But the damage is done, and we're now awake at 5.

And for 2 days & nights, every time the air conditioning went on, there was an annoying rattle in the piping.

The walls are very thin, and you can hear the conversation in the next room.

They also have, for security, a thing with the elevators. You have to insert your room key into a slot before pressing your floor. If not done quick enough, it'll miss your floor. I know it's for security, but it's a real pain in the butt.

The one thing we noticed there was that it didn't make you feel like you were in Hawaii. Kind of hard to explain.

To break up the trip, we also spent 3 days at the Hilton Hawaiian Village (which I'm doing another review for). We're glad we did - it was a very nice change in pace from the Outrigger Waikiki.

As I said, it was OK, but we wouldn't go back.

14  Thank MSkinner
Reviewed March 16, 2005

My wife and I went for a long weekend and stayed at the Outrigger on the beach in Waikiki... and we were definitely dissapointed. The so-called "Ocean View" room we checked into basically just had a view of the hotel next door, with people staring into our room, and if you literally leaned over the porch railing you could see a small sliver of ocean. If youstay here you definitely want an Oceanfront room in the front of the hotel. We were told we could not switch but after a few calls they did allow us to move to an oceanfront room with a great view.

The beach is incredibly crowded - and it was basically the same crowd you would see in Vegas- and believe me, you don't want to see those people in a thong!

The pink hotel next door seemed nicer- and was a good place to go for drinks and lunch.

We have been to Maui and the Big Island- and we would DEFINITELY reccomend them over Oahu, which is more like a concrete jungle with a few beaches.

Good things on Oahu if you must go: Drive up to the North Shore to see the small surfing town and maybe see some big wave surfers. Also one of the only good things about Waikiki is that it really is a great place to learn how to surf.... but I was amazed at how dirty the water seemed- lots of trash floating everywhere.

Stay at the Four seasons on the Big Island or any of the Kaanapali hotels in Maui!

• Stayed: January 2005
10  Thank Kevin K
greenfield center. ny
Reviewed March 16, 2005

Maui was beautiful and very nice; however, a little too sedate for me. "Dukes" at OUTRIGGER WAIKIKI was where it was happening--packed with people jivin' to the live music. Loved it ,man!!

• Stayed: January 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 15, 2005

My husband and I like to spend a few days here on every trip to the islands. Check-in was a breeze. We book an oceanfront room on the upper floors (with an oceanview from the jacuzzi tub.) The rooms are not large, but large enough for 2, and very comfortable. We enjoy listening to the music from Dukes as we sit on the balcony enjoying the suset. We can even watch the luau show at the Royal Hawaiian next door from our balcony. Close the sliding door and the room is quiet. The view is just fantastic. We love the location in the heart of Waikiki Beach. It can get crowded at Dukes, but this is Waikiki after all, crowds come with the territory. We stayed in a partial ocean view room on our first trip and decided the view was more "partial" than "ocean." After that, it was ocean front and we don't regret it.

• Stayed: October 2004
16  Thank San Diego is best
Boston
Reviewed March 13, 2005

Just back from a stay at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach and really enjoyed it. I had booked an ocean view room and got a room on the 7th floor, pretty close to the ocean with a nice view of the ocean facing southwest. I thought the room was good sized- not huge, but definitely a lot larger than rooms you will find in other cities such as NYC. The bathroom is divided into 2 sections- the front section contains the sink and closet/dressing area and the door can be closed to the second section containing the toilet and tub/shower. Decor of the room and the hotel overall has a Hawaiian feel with taro leaf prints carpets throughout the public areas. Elevators have tropical flower print wall coverings as well. Only on one night did I experience any noise from the room next door, as some other people have reported-- but after the first night there was no more noise. One other general thing I feel I should mention is that in Waikiki, it is important to realize when booking that it is a busy and very built up area. Unless you reserve an ocean front room, no matter what hotel you book, it is very likey that you will be looking directly at another hotel's towers. You may still have an ocean view, but you can't get rid of the other towers. Just something I thought I should mention since others seem to comment on this with dissapointment.
The pool is small and I didn't have time to use it, so can't comment on towel service etc. Same with the beach-- it is a narrow strip in front of the hotel and always filled with people. There are lifeguards on duty along Waikiki beach. I didn't do any of the beach activities, but you can rent umbrellas or sign up for surfing lessons etc.
I enjoyed 2 of the 3 restaurants at the hotel: Duke's Canoe Club and Hula Grill. There is also a Chuck's Steakhouse, which I did not eat at. In addition there is a branch of Seattle's Best Coffee, which opens early in the a.m.
For dinner, Duke's has entertainment which on the nights I was there consisted of Hawaiian music. I believe on Fri, Sat, Sun, they have more contemporary/popular music around 4pm, but then it switches to Hawaiian for the dinner hours. The breakfast buffet at Duke's was okay-- not the greatest. They had a lot of variety, but it was not "homemade". For example, the juice was not fresh squeezed and the I believe the waffles were the frozen variety. The breakfast at Hula Grill was nicer with several varieties of fresh squeezed juices and great pancakes. Dinner at Hula Grill also had entertainment-- a Hawaiian music duo playing in the bar area. The views from both restaurants were great-- looking right out over the beach.
Overall, I really enjoyed my stay at the hotel and definitely plan to return in the future.

• Stayed: March 2005