Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort
Ala Moana Hotel(Honolulu)(Great Value!)
$209
$239
$219
Agoda.com
5,248 results
All reviewshula grillocean frontdukes restauranthula piewaikiki beachlower lobbypartial ocean viewthe cheesecake factorydiamond head sideoceanfront rooma city view roomthe international marketplaceour honeymoonthe royal hawaiianfantastic locationbell staffnorth shore
Reviewed November 17, 2004

Just returned from 7 days at The Outrigger Waikiki on the beach Nov 10 -Nov 18. Overall a great place that's perfectly located for all sorts of activities.

We took 7 of our staff (plus my wife, myself & my uncle's girlfriend....10 total) & selected the Outrigger Waikiki on the beach because it is right in the heart of Waikiki & on the beach. We wanted our staff to have access to dining & shopping within walking distance of the hotel. Plenty to eat & buy right around hotel.

We booked 5 city-view rooms online & were quite pleased. All had a partial ocean view off balcony & were clean & roomy. Rm 322 was closer to ocean & had better view than the smaller #'d rooms like 301, 302, 304 & 309. Frig in each room came in handy for leftovers from big dinners & for the various supplies we picked up at Costco ( on Alikawa off Ala Moana ) at the start of the trip. Rooms came with a buy 1 get one free coupon for hour & 1/2 Catamaran ride.

I highly recommend this trip. Make sure you lay on the net deck with your arms hanging off the front. It's like the most insane wet roller coaster. Be sure you secure glasses & stow hat. Boat goes out past Diamond Head & then returns. First 15 min are dry, then, depending on your position on the boat, lightly sprayed to drenched, then a calm return trip. Drinks available on boat. Again do this trip. Also look for $10 off coupon in little O'ahu coupon book available in lobby of hotel on level LL or L near Outrigger activities desk. Coupon will bring cost of trip down to $20.80 (again, that's 1 free, with coupon that comes with room when you select catamaran option & $10 off second person with coupon from small O'ahu coupon book)

Maid service was pleasant but sometimes forgretful. Not something to dwell on, however.

Food in the hotel is OK. Dukes has a fun atmosphere & location. We found the food here ( as well as the one we ate at on a previous trip to Kaua'i ) to be decent but not exceptional. Better than bar food but not up to the reputation. We had a couple of lunches there & some late night snacks. Hula Grill has good breakfast, though it IS ala carte. Did not eat dinner there. Did not eat at Chuck's Steakhouse. Several of our party got their A.M. java fix downstairs at Seattle's Best Coffee, before heading out for car trips to snorkel around the island.

Mini-mall on L & LL levels has basics if you need them as well as typical hotel gift shops w/ art/crafts.

$13/day to park EACH of our 2 vehicles. Vallet staff really on top of things & constantly running & very pleasant. Be sure NOT to mow down the 995295787725 tourists who walk on the sidewalk as you turn onto the street in front of the hotel.

They'll check you out towels at the pool for swimming/snorkeling, but spank you for $20 if you don't bring them back. We just took ours from the rooms & made sure we told the housekeeping we weren't stealing them & returned them each day when we got back.

The International Market directly across the street from the hotel has lots of cheap souvenirs & plastic crap you don't need but will end up buying anyway, as well as music, food & bobble-hip, dashboard Hula Girls.

Along that same line......hit the big market at Aloha stadium every Wed Sat & Sun. Free coupon for that in the little O'ahu coupon book. Lots of $2-$4 T's of decent quality. Look for man whacking tops off coconuts so you can drink 'em, then bring back the nut so he can split it & carve out the "meat" for you to eat. I bought a used boogie board for $10, used it a few times & then passed it on to some other folks. If you love to shop, don't miss this market.

DO NOT MISS the USS Arizona Memorial & the USS Bowfin sub at Pearl Harbor. Leave plenty of time for these 2 & extra if you take in the USS Missouri.

Also make sure you hike up Diamond Head! Great view & good exercise to work off all that extra chow your packing on.

Secure a copy of The Honolulu Advertiser's Hawai'i's BEST Restaurants GUIDE & go wild.

Alan Wong's is one of the 2 or 3 best meals we'ver ever eaten & we love food & have eaten all over the world. Make a reservation in advance to assure yourself a table.
1880 blk of S. King not too far from Outrigger by car.

Chai's Island Bistro in Aloha Tower was excellent as well

Don't miss Little Village Noodle House in Chinatown on Smith St. Amazing pan fried beef (sesame beef)

Snorkel at Shark's Cove on the North Shore & in the lagoons at the Mariott at Ko Olina.

O'ahu is a fantastic island with lots to see & do. Buy the O'ahu Revealed guide & you won't go wrong. We have used their guides to both Maui & Kaua'i & they are GEMS!!!!

We also looked into The Outrigger Reef on the beach, a few blocks from the OR Waikiki, but we were glad we chose the OR Waikiki instead. Smaller & in our minds, nicer all around. Pleasant & helpful staff made stay very comfortable.

I would go back anytime!!!!!

Aloha

12  Thank victrometer
A TripAdvisor Member
New London, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 15, 2004

My husband and I stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach from November 1, 2004 to November 7, 2004. We had a city view room, which, while we could look at the hotel next door, we still had a view of the ocean. The room was very large, and the bathroom had a separate room with the toilet and tub/shower which we both appreciated. The room was clean but we did have to ask for coffee and water replacement. We could listen to the music from Dukes if we sat on our balcony at night and could barely hear it in our room. What we did hear was toilets flushing, something we have heard in other hotels, certainly not unusual. You can hear other people but I wouldn't say that it was because of thin walls, just loud people who seem to forget that there are other people present. Sort of like having to listen to other people's cell phone conversations. My biggest complaint was the delivery trucks that begin around 4:00 am, their back up warnings were what usually woke me up. Because of this, I saw the sun rise almost every morning so I really shouldn’t complain. It was quite beautiful. The employees were always very nice and helpful. Valet Parking was always fast and the valets pleasant and surprised when given a tip. The hotel is beautiful and what a treat it is to sit down and check in. Especially after 16 hours of travel.

Waikiki is extremely busy, expensive, and has more than its share of pushy salespeople.

We had several terrific meals. I agree that the Cheesecake Factory was great. We had a marvelous meal in Chuck's Steak House and Dukes is great for breakfast and dinner. We also had a terrific dinner at Arancino's. We had lunch in the Pai Deli in the hotel. The best $5.00 sandwiches in the area.

In conclusion, we probably would not stay in Waikiki again only because we do not like the pace, or commericial atmosphere but if we do come back we will stay at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 14, 2004

We had a terrific holiday and were not disappointed at all. We read some of the reviews before we departed and were a bit concerned however everyone has their own opinion.
Noise was not a problem for us on the 4th floor although I will agree the walls are thin and you can hear your neighbours every movement; we were lucky and had reasonably quiet ones.
The pool is a bit small but this it did not seem to be a problem as you had the beach right there which was used by the majority of people.
The beach is small however, may be our expectations were high as you hear so much about the fabulous Waikiki Beach. The resort itself is very busy and is a shoppers paradise if that is your thing. Plenty of Restaurants to suit every budget but would recommend the recently opened Cheesecake Factory which is a 50 yard walk from the hotel but be warned it gets very busy and you will have to wait depending on what time you want to eat, (would recommend early slot, i.e. around 6 pm) and your wait will be shorter.
All in all we would highly recommend this hotel and location. The only downside is the travel from England as it is a long long haul. We did it in the same day however on hindsight I would possibly consider an overnight or 2/3 day stop-over each way in San Francisco or Las Vega etc if we ever considered going again.
Any UK residents are welcome to contact me if I can offer any advice or help to anyone considering this holiday.

3  Thank abmack
A TripAdvisor Member
Hayward, CA
Reviewed November 10, 2004

Spent 5 nights at Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach at the end of October. I've been to Waikiki about a dozen times and this was the best hotel I've stayed in. We had an oceanview room that was very nice, great beds, furniture, lanai, etc. The bathroom was HUGE!!! Had a walk-in closet/changing area in the front part of the bathroom then a shower/toilet in the other part of the room. Very nice.

Both Duke's and Chuck's are great places to eat, drink, and be merry! Both have very diverse menu's and GREAT drinks. (Especially the LAVA FLOWS!) If you go to Duke's you can sit right on the beachfront and watch the sunset or do the moonlit walk routine. We did both and I have to say it's a great time overall. Duke's has live music every night (or at least every night we were there.)

The staff was great, they helped us with everything we needed and left a few items in the room that were returned to us very promptly.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone going to honolulu for a vacation.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 9, 2004

My husband and I just returned from a week at the Outrigger Waikiki and we can't wait to go back. It is a great hotel with a great location in the heart of Waikiki and extremely friendly staff. It's rare that you can spend a week at a hotel and not run into at least 1 rude employee but that was the case here. The rooms were great and although we only paid for a partial ocean view, we had a clear view of the ocean and beach. The beach was perfect - calm waters and no rocks or reef to contend with. I read plenty of reviews prior to booking, some of which mentioned the paper thin walls. I can honestly say we did not hear any noise the whole trip and our room was just outside the elevator. I will definitely return to this hotel in the future!