“Great place for a Mother/Daughter trip for a High School Graduation Present”

Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
minnesota
“Great place for a Mother/Daughter trip for a High School Graduation Present”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2009

We are from NW MN and this was a very long trip, BUT well worth it. The Outrigger Waikiki on the beach is a beautiful and clean hotel. I enjoyed getting up every morning at 6:00 AM and watching the sun come up and seeing all the surfers. When we checked in we did upgrade to a total ocean view, but it was well worth it!!! We were on the 4th floor, which was fine, BUT next time I would definately go much HIGHER to avoid the noise and a better VIEW. Food wise, Dukes was fun, BUT the food at the Hula Grill was much better. I also strongly recommend the Shorebird at the Outrigger Waikiki Reef Hotel, there is a coupon when you check in for a full price meal and half off the second, this was actually the least expensive meal we had, and alot of FUN cooking our own steaks on the grill overlooking the ocean!!!!!! Make sure you walk there on the beach, takes 5 minutes, if you take land might be 20 minutes and you may have to ask for directions!!! The International Market across the road and the stores near the hotel were like being in a large city. It was fun to walk the streets at night and shop or walk the beach. You dont have anything to worry about , the beach and streets are VERY safe!!! Would I go back, YES I am already planning my next trip!!!!! PS Make sure you do the Germaine Luau!!!!! Fun was had by all. Aloha my friends!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank thiefriverfalls

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,326)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2009

Mum and I went for a holiday to Waikiki, cost around $4500 for the two of us, and when we got there, we decided to take an upgrade to a Partial Ocean View for an additional $600. This hotel was very costly, but a good choice for my elderly mum who wanted to be right on the beach and hear the ocean at night. The room was quite nice, no complaints at all. The service was rather impersonal as at really big hotels and we did not see anything special or extradordinary about the service in general. The pool is miniscule and when we went down to claim a spot for mum to relax while I swam in the ocean, there were towels and reserved signs on most of the chaises so it was difficult for her to get a swim in the pool. Not much loss, as the pool was icy cold, unheated. There was absolutely no beverage service that we could see and I had to personally fetch mum a cold drink and she had to guard my chaise as it was frequently highjacked. We adored Chuck's Steak House, the food was marvelous, however, trying to get any service out of Duke's was impossible. We weren't young, pretty and boozing our brains out so we were basically ignored. Not a big problem as I took care of mum's every need, except when swimming in the beautiful aquamarine beach just a few steps from the pool chaise area. Mum has since passed away but I treasure this trip with her and the relaxing, luxurious time we shared together.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank janievancouver
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2009

Amazing place ... we had a Partial Ocean View Room, magnificent ... staff helpful, friendly, excellent location across the road from the International Market, great bar (Dukes), beach access perfect, cannot find one single flaw with this hotel, just beautiful ... go there !

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank nzchick23
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2009

Outrigger Waikiki on the beach is a clean and beautiful hotel. The rooms are fairly modern and well decorated. The TV could be updated to a flat screen, but who spends that much time in the room. The staff were incredibly helpful and kind. There is all kinds of shopping just out the front door and close to some great restaurants too. I didn't like Duke's restaurant (in the hotel) as it was always crowded and the food was just average.

I highly recommend The Outrigger! The rooftop spa is a great place to get massage.

3 Thank dave6503
Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2009

We were on our 10 year anniversary and when we checked in, we were upgraded to a beautiful room. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. We would recommend it anyone that was staying in Waikiki and wanted to stay on the beach!

1 Thank mommyof2beautygirls
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2009

I travel to at least one of the islands in Hawaii at least once a year. This hotel has so many attributes going for it. 1) It is on the stretch of Waikiki between the Royal Hawaiian and the Surfrider. This is the sandiest portion of Waikiki (in the water) and at low tide you can walk out about the length of a football field. Because there is no built in wave break like down by the Hiltons (awful location) or by the "ponds" you can take your surfboard out and surf in front of the hotel about 100 yards out. 2) The central location means that on the street side of the resort, you are in the hub of the entertainment scene, shopping, and restaurants. 3) The views are breathtaking even from the "partial ocean view category" (just be sure you are on the side facing the "Cheesecake factory" and Royal Hawaiian. The side facing the surfrider has less impressive views. Ocean Front is obviously fabulous if you can swing the price. 4) The hotel finished a complete renovation about 3 years ago with an "antique Hawaiiana" theme that is perfect. I think another reviewer called it dated but obviously did not understand the look. 5) "Dukes," the most popular restaurant and bar in Waikiki is on the ground floor. Also notable is "Hula Grill" a restaurant on the second floor. Both have great views and excellent food (particularly Hula Grill). 6) Much is said about thin walls here. Look everyone, Waikiki is noisy, it is a place to be part of the action. If you want a tranquil experience go to the Big Island (where I am off to for my next trip) or Kauai. Or even stay on the windward side of Oahu. Waikiki is noisy, energetic and fast paced; be part of it. And as an FYI, the Royal Hawaiian and Surfrider have very noisy plumbing due to their age and smaller rooms in many cases. 7) My spouse had a birthday during our trip and received a box of Hawaiian goodies (complimentary from the hotel). Little touches like this make this hotel special. 8) The serenity spa is on the 17th floor and is a full service day spa. Look down at Waikiki from 17 floors above the water and take in a Lomi Lomi massage. The fitness room is also on this floor (other side) and has a fantastic ocean view.
I could go on and on, but this hotel is the best in Waikiki (and I have sampled many) before declaring this "our hotel for Waikiki." I highly recommend it and will go back again and again.

3 Thank TrojanTraveller
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2009

We stayed here in 1992 on our honeymoon and it was great then. Fast forward to March 2009 and now our family is four (kids 5 & 13). Again, it’s a great hotel and best location. Here’s the details:
Room: We upgraded to partial ocean view (room #1118) for $45 bringing to total to $200/night. A little dated décor but clean. Free internet, safe, fridge, coffee maker, decent tv and nice lanai. The beds were comfortable and clean. The bathroom was updated and spacious with a great shower. Most Diamond Head facing rooms will be looking directly into the next hotel (see photos) so be aware of that. We had no problems with noise or thin walls.
Facilities: Dukes and Hula Grill restaurants have good food and beautiful views of the pool and beach. The pool was usual empty and a little cold but clean. No shallow kid’s area so watch your kids. Free towel service. We didn’t check out the fitness room but heard it’s in the penthouse. Parking for my moped was only $5/night. (yeah I rented a moped for 24 hours which was a great way to check out Waikiki and surrounding areas; but be careful of sketchy moped rental guys). All the staff were great, efficient, fast and friendly; no complaints at all.
Location: without a doubt, the most convenient and central location in Waikiki. A few ABC stores within a two minute walk.
The beach: it’s right there! no crossing the street to get to the ocean! The beach was a little crowded but fun for people watching. Move up or down the beach and there’s lots of room. You can get loungers and umbrellas, surfboards, lessons, catamaran rides, etc. The beach is also nice and safe to sit around at night.

Nearby restaurants: I did research on the ‘net and found lots of cheap restaurants within walking dist. A couple of japanese places in King’s Alley, Lulu’s near Kapahulu, ABC of course, lots of noodle places and a dim sum in the Hyatt. Roy’s nearby (pricey but unbelievable service and delicious), Lots of places on Kapahulu which is about a mile northeast.
Activities: Mom and kids did free hula lessons and lei making in the lobby. Dad went surfing daily (I rented a board from the guys near the police station up the beach. They were organized and friendly. Only $10/hour; I didn’t take lessons but recommended if you’ve never surfed)
Rental Car: We rented on the last day so we could drive directly to the airport after checking out the North Shore. I used Thrifty which I will never use again as they made many mistakes (forgot child seat, gave me only half a tank of gas, were rude). An unfortunate ending to an otherwise perfect vacation.
Other details: free shuttle to Ala Moana Shopping Ctr ($2 to get home) with p/u by the police stn; There’s a hot tub; there’s a band playing by the beach on weekends.
When we go back to Waikiki, I will stay here again or if I have a bigger budget, I may try the Moana or the Royal Hawaiian which are right next door and just reno’d.
Feel free to email me if you have questions. Thanks. AlKamino

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family