Stayed 8 nights in an oceanfront room on the 14th floor, two adults and two kids. One on the other double and one on the sofa bed. Actually worked really well.
We read a lot of reviews and it is still hard to pick out the things that matter to you. Fortunately, the kinds of things that can ruin your stay were all absent: the aircon was efficient and quiet, the bedding and pillows just fine, the room clean, reasonably spacious and quiet and the lifts worked well. Speaking of the lifts, you actually swipe your card and enter the floor number before entering which is different to the usual piling in and everybody reaching for the buttons. We were supposed to have an 'express' service to 14th floor and mostly had the lift to ourselves.
So lets get the negatives out of the way, although none of these are deal breakers and all hotels will have some. This is mostly feedback to management.
- the hotel really is looking a bit on the tired side. Both in the room and the lobby areas. Compare it to say the Sheraton and you'll see. It smacks a little of an establishment relying on it's superb location and beach setting to get by.
- the breakfast at Dukes is nothing to write home about. The scrambled eggs were like rubber. How does that happen? Is there a real chef supervising in the kitchen?
- dealing with the activities people in the lobby leaves a bad taste. We went up just to grab a map and when questioned, said we were looking for Eggs n Things. The person there went on to suggest breakfast at the Shorebird instead, offering a free shuttle. Gradually it dawned on us this was a timeshare sales solicitation in disguise. Very distasteful. Had to be almost rude just to get
Now the good;
- the people cleaning the room were great (thanks Wendy). As soon as they realised we were using the coffee machine the supplies increased to compensate. Please pass on our thanks to these hard working staff.
- the view (oceanfront - but worth it) is just the best. So nice to sit on the balcony watching the scene below.
- there is a great little utilities area at the back of the bathroom - gets your suitcase and junk out the the way. All hotels should have this.
- there is an empty fridge to store drinks, sandwiches etc there. Such a nice change from the automated minibar approach. Please don't change this.
- valet parking guys were great, efficient and fast. And didn't hang around waiting for tips, the whole process of which is distasteful to kiwis.
All in all a great place to stay. Bottom line: yes, we would do it all again.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Outrigger Waikiki On The Beach Hotel Honolulu
- Outrigger Hotel Honolulu
- Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort Hawaii/Honolulu
- Outrigger Honolulu
- Honolulu Outrigger