“Not the hotel I'd want to stay at again”

Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Not the hotel I'd want to stay at again”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We had a one bedroom ocean front suite. I was expecting it to be all windows and lots of them. The living room faces the ocean with a small sliding glass door. The bedroom is behind it and the way the bed faces you can't see anything but another building. Since we like to leave our bedroom window open to view the ocean we were very disappointed.
With this room you get two balconies but they're very narrow. It fits two chairs and a small table. There is also a balcony off the bedroom that faces the hotel next door and a slight view of the ocean, but no beach.
We had requested a high floor but the first few nights were on a very low floor. Quite disappointed with view and noise.
They moved us to a high floor our last few nights, and the view was great from the front balcony.
Before you can get in an elevator you have to run your key on an electric panel then put your floor number in. Ths was very inconvenient since too often your card didn't work and you'd keep running it, missing elevator after elevator. If you forgot your key you had to go wait at front desk to get a new one, even though someone was in your room to let you in.
Their concierge was really Expedia, so book online before you go for better prices.
The lounge chairs and umbrella are outside the pool area, so there is no drink or food service, and no alcohol can be consumed. Since we usually stayed next door at the Surfrider (which I highly recommend) we didn't like this. Also it was again an outside company that rented to you, so their cost was high (around $69 a day for two chairs and an umbrella. No table)
The people right outside the pool area that rented you the chairs,, as well as canoe rides, inner tubes, etc, were expensive. But you can charge it to your room. The canoe ride was $25 pp and lasted 10 mins tops. They also don't open till 8 am and encourage you to get there at 7:30 and stand in line so you get a front row. Many people did this. But the front row wasn't so great because others would sit in front of you with chairs, etc, and block your view. Most other hotels have a roped in area for their guests to sit, and includes beverage and food service. This hotel des not.
If you go about 30 feet to your left, they rent chairs for $5 a day, and lounge chairs and umbrellas for $35.
The staff seems friendly but hurried. They assign your rooms before you get there and the staff can't change them.
For about $500 a night, it was quite expensive for the off season.
I would recommend an ocean front high floor over what they called a one bedroom ocean front suite. Also request the Diamond Head view. The sun rises over diamond head, so you don't get that hot sun in the afternoon. It was pretty hot sitting out there after 3 pm. If you are getting an ocean view or city view, still request the Diamond Head side.
The rooms have a safe and refrigerator for your use. Go to an ABC store and buy water and drinks for your fridge.
The beds are hard as nails, and both of us woke up stiff and sore every day. Was not comfortable to just rest and read or watch TV The sheets were scratchy and should have been a better quality. The only blanket is between two sheets and looks and feels like a waffle. Very uncomfortable on your skin.
If there are more than 2 people they have a sofa bed. The mattress is just foam, so only good for young children. They also don't put bed away each day, so if you don't it takes up most of living room.
Lighting is poor, no overhead lighting, mostly lamps. The TV programming doesn't have much choice, and it seemed like after 11 pm mostly infomercials. Cartoons for kids during day, but none at night. They do have an all day kids program you can buy, but very limited programs.
We had to request that bedding be changed. It's hard to keep sand off you, so if you don't request the change of bedding you'll sleep with sand.
Turn down service each night was hit and miss. We started requesting it everyday to make sure we'd get it. Otherwise there is sand all over your bathroom floor.
The bathroom is tiny. A small shower/tub combination. Hard for an adult to enjoy a soak. Very few shelves so you're balancing Shampoo, conditioner, Bath gel on narrow shelves or toilet area. They don't provide bath gel so bring your own. The shower spray was decent. You could get all the sand off you without having to take a bath. The room next door was just an ocean front but it looked like it had a great jacuzzi tub. And costs less.
I was told they had done extensive remodeling, but I didn't see it. The furniture was too uncomfortable for it to have been remodeled. We are both going for massages at home today because the bed hurt our backs.
Dukes restaurant is there. Expensive yet average food. Hula Girls was better for breakfast, though just off the main road are better restaurants that aren't as expensive.
If you want surfing lessons, canoe rides, etc, go to the beach park and do it there. They are almost half the price and were a lot better. When coming out of hotel head right till you get to the beach park.
You can go next door to the Surfrider and sit at a tables with chairs and order food and cocktails while enjoying a great view.
Not my favorite hotel in Waikiki. Since room and bedding and balcony and comfort are important, they missed on these

Room Tip: Diamond Head side, regardless of room type. Ocean front or ocean view is best
5 Thank Becky K
OutriggerWaikiki, Manager at Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Aloha Becky K. Thank you for staying at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach with your family. We appreciate your taking the time to share your feedback about our property. Although we are not your favorite hotel in Waikiki, we hope to be one day. Please be assured that all of your comments will be carefully reviewed by our management team. Mahalo Nui Loa.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,386)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
maidstone, england
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Stayed here 5th to 19th October, and loved every minute of it, We arrived at 9 p.m. and check in was swift, the bellboys took our luggage from the taxi and we next saw it at our room, what a service. We were on the 14th floor, corner room overlooking the cheesecake factory, which we did not mind, I loved the view up the street and the ocean to the left, what more could I want. We had two queen beds, (my daughter and I were travelling together), the room was vast, it had everything you could want.

We used the laundromat, quite interesting using a top loading washing machine, it was quick about 30 minutes. I left it washing while I went back to the beach. Used the iron and board in our room later. There is a little washing line in the bathroom which was very useful.

We ate at the Hula bar, fantastic food and service, loved the cocktails and lager. The waiting staff were very helpful and attentive. Had Sunday breakfasts at Dukes, wow what a range of food, I especially loved the different pancakes and pina colada breadpudding.

The concierge was very helpful, booked us a tour around the island, gave us advice re. the bus, always had a smile on her face and genuinely seemed eager to help.

The location was out of this world, you are right on the beach, what more could you want, and you go out the front entrance and you on the street and in the hustle and bustle of Waikiki, life could not get any better than this.

I did not hear any noise in our room from the traffic, or even other guests, the lifts were fast, excellent. Daisy our housekeeper was brilliant, our room was spotless.

I would not hesitate in recommending this hotel to anyone, and it will be the hotel I use when I can get back to Hawaii.

4 Thank annpan
Aloha annpan. Thank you for choosing the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. You have written a very thorough and useful review of our property. We thank you for describing our rooms, views, Laundromat, restaurants, concierge, location and employees so well. You recommendation of our hotel is truly appreciated. Mahalo Nui Loa.
New York / Washington, D.C.
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Stayed here YEARS ago and loved it. Was happy to read reviews here and see they'd just finished a huge renovation at this property. Decided to book with friends. LOVED IT ALL OVER AGAIN. Rooms are spacious, very nicely appointed and fun. Housekeeping was terrific, everything was spotless. Loved the large sized shampoo, and body lotions that the hotel supplied. Best of all, that ocean! We were right ON it. We loved walking right on to the sand from hotel. Loved hanging at Duke's for amazing drinks, lunches and dinners, while watching the surfers and waves come in. We'd like to try the other restaurants next visit. My friends liked the location too. We walked to all of our restaurants, even up to Diamond Head. I'd like to thank the Outrigger for another wonderful stay in Waikiki. Decent gym on top floor with great views. We took advantage of the hotel's free Hawaiian cultural events in the a.m. They were wonderful and a lot of fun, I love my Hawaiian name luggage tag as well as my kukui nut bracelet, beautiful!.....MAHALO & ALOHA!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank ShannonNYC
Aloha ShannonNYC. Thank you for staying at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach with your friends. You are very welcome! It is our honor to have contributed to your wonderful visit to Hawai`i. We are so happy to hear that you took part in some of our cultural activities on property. Sharing the music, dance, arts and crafts of the native Hawaiian culture is one of the most meaningful ways we can connect with our guests. Please enjoy your special handmade souvenirs. We will look forward to welcoming you back to the beautiful shores of Waikiki. Mahalo Nui Loa.
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

We are currently enjoying our 3rd stay at this lovely hotel. I can only say that it feels like home. We love it. The location is central to Waikiki, and it is easy to catch the trolley bus to Ala Moana. Any tours can be booked via the Concierge, who are so helpful. We love sitting by the pool, sitting at the famous Duke's bar and eating at any of the three restaurants. Will definitely return as we have met other repeat travelers and will catch up again next year! The sunsets are wonderful, the people are friendly and the hotel has character! You will love it!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kazjoy19
Aloha Kazjoy19. Thank you for being a loyal return guest of the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. This is truly a home away from home for many of our beloved return guests. It is such a delight to see how visitors from different areas of the globe have become friends over the years and are reunited at the Outrigger Waikiki poolside during each stay. We are very grateful to have your continued patronage. Mahalo Nui Loa.
Kansas City, MO
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Had a great experience here overall, staying in mid-October 2013. Location is fantastic - lots of shopping & dining options and right on the beach of course. The service (save for one experience) was fantastic. Everyone was super friendly whether it was the pool staff, front desk, housekeeping, etc., and the person that checked us in remembered our names several days later. Felt very welcome all week.

Rooms are very large (we had an oceanview facing towards Diamond Head), and no real complaints about the room. One lamp flickered a bit was about the worst thing. Exceeded my expectations.

We rented a car for the week since we like to explore and had several excursions outside of the Honolulu area. $35/night is steep for a Midwesterner; cost more to park the car for a week than to rent it. Parking was valet only. I may be cheap, but I do not tip valets when you are forced to valet only. If they offered a self-park option and I chose to valet, I would tip every time.

We had massages at the spa. Pricey, but absolutely first class. Best massages we have ever had, and relaxing on top of the hotel overlooking the ocean after the massage is incredible. I fell asleep. Tipped the masseuses well, so I do tip well when it's good service.

Only negative experience was with the day we were leaving. We had USS Arizona tickets for Thursday, Oct. 17 - which was the last day it was closed due to the shutdown. We managed to reserve tickets for Oct. 19 @ 10:00 AM, our check-out day. I called Thursday and got my checkout pushed from 12:00 to 1:00. With the tour being 1:15, we figured we would leave Pearl Harbor by 11:30 and be to the hotel by 1:00. We really just needed to change and grab our bags. I went down that morning to ask about a 2:00 just in case we hit some traffic or something. I explained the situation to the lady and she just immediately began shaking her head saying "You'll never make it. Don't even bother." Absolutely no way she could do a 2:00 checkout, which considering the shutdown and the circumstance, I didn't think was too understanding, especially her dismissive attitude.

For the record, we went anyway of course, and were back at the hotel at 11:56.

Room Tip: Oceanside is totally worth it. Loved sitting out on our deck watching the waves.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kuch1000
Aloha Kuch1000. Thank you for staying at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. We are delighted that you had a great experience here overall. Your constructive feedback about our rooms, parking facilities, rooftop spa and service are valued. Please accept our sincere apologies for the unsatisfactory service you experienced on your day of departure. Our Front Office Manager has shared your review with her staff for training and quality assurance purposes. Mahalo Nui Loa for sharing your comments with us.
Edmond, Oklahoma
Reviewed October 24, 2013

My family stayed there a few years ago. I still can remember to this day how professional and courteous the hotel staff were to everyone. The location is perfect. Right by the beach, different shops/stores, and the highway. The balcony ocean view room was gorgeous. I will most certainly return.

Room Tip: Try the cream puffs across the street. They are amazing!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Aloha JetPilot2992. Thank you for returning to the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach with your family. We truly appreciate your positive comments about our courteous staff, perfect location and gorgeous views of the ocean. We will look forward to your next visit. Mahalo Nui Loa.
Carmichael, California
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I have never stayed at a hotel with such all-around great service. From the bell staff that brought in our luggage from the airport shuttle, to the front desk staff, to the great housekeeping staff, to the efficient and friendly restaurant staff, this is a hotel whose service is beyond compare. And the location: wow! This is our second stay at the Outrigger Waikiki, and it won't be our last. With an oceanfront room, you are truly ocean FRONT. I highly recommend this hotel for those planning to spend a night (or, as we did) a week on Waikiki.

2 Thank GeorgeT47
Aloha GeorgeT47. Thank you for choosing the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach for the second time. It is such a compliment to hear that you have never stayed at a hotel with such all-around great service. All of our employees will be very proud to be recognized for their friendliness and efficiency. Mahalo Nui Loa.