“Outrigger has it all!”

Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Being my first time in Honolulu, I had no idea what to expect from the city's hotels. Our airport shuttle dropped my wife and I off outside the Outrigger on a busy touristy street before noon. The Outrigger doesn't offer much in curb appeal, as it seems to blend in with the row of other hotels and shops along the street. When we went to the front desk to check in we were informed that our room was not ready but their bell service could check our bags for us while we got lunch and used their beach and pool.
The Outrigger is in prime location as we were able to shop and grab lunch right across the street at the International Market. After lunch, we used their beach and pool for a majority of the afternoon. The beach is great and has a spectacular view of Diamond Head. There are many activities right on the beach including, snorkeling, canoeing and catamaran tours. The pool is a good size and has drink service.
After walking into our oceanfront room, we were absolutely blown away! I couldn't decide whether the ocean views or the jet tub was better. The room was immaculately cleaned and the balcony was a perfect size. We were happy to sleep with the balcony door open listening to the ocean throughout the night and waking up to the sun rise of Diamond Head. This may very well be the best hotel room I have ever stayed in!
The Hula Grill and Duke's restaurants also offer great food, drinks, and a truly authentic Hawaiian feel. I cannot say enough good things about this place and would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with an ocean view room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank tsuke23
OutriggerWaikiki, Manager at Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Aloha tsuke23. Thank you for staying at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach during your first visit to Honolulu. It is such a compliment to hear that one of our Deluxe Oceanfront rooms may very well be the best hotel room you have ever stayed in. One of the best ways to enjoy a vacation in paradise is to soak in the room's jacuzzi tub while listening to the sound of the waves and watching the sun rise or set. We are so happy that you had an enjoyable stay with us. Mahalo Nui Loa.

There are newer reviews for Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort

Reviewed August 1, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel for 8 days. We loved that it was right across from the international marketplace and we could be on the beach in minutes. Bell services and concierge were outstanding. We used the sandwich shop and gift shop several times. Maid service was good, rooms were nice sized and we had a partial view of the ocean and a balcony. Refrigerator but no microwave, used room service several times. My only complaints were the elevators were very slow and I didn't care for the bedding. There was a undersized blanket between two sheets and every time we turned over the comforter slid onto the floor. I would stay here again if the price were right.

Room Tip: Ocean view will not get the sound of the waves as the noise is drowned out by the A/C unit in an adj...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank travelgal143
OutriggerWaikiki, Manager at Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Aloha travelgal143. Thank you for staying at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. We are happy to hear that you found our location to be fabulous. We hope you enjoyed our room service meals. Our hotel does provide microwaves for use at no charge. Guests just need to request a microwave from one of our staff members and it will be delivered to the room. Please come back for another stay with us. Mahalo Nui Loa.

Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed our stay. Dennys IS Nearby For More Reasonable Food Prices. Pool And Hot Tub, Three Different Restaurants In The Hotel.Great Views From The Ocean Front Rooms. More Noisy Than Maui, But Noise From People Having Fun.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank BJSimmons

Aloha BJSimmons. Thank you for choosing the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and were surrounded by people having fun. Mahalo Nui Loa.

Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

We always choose this hotel for its location and great atmosphere. The location fronts the best stretch of Waikiki Beach and it is worth the price for that reason alone.
Of course Dukes is always a hit with the family.
The only negative is that we found the wi-fi reception very poor.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank K2GO

Aloha K2GO. Thank you for always choosing the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. We are honored to have loyal return guests, such as you and your family. Your feedback about our wireless internet will be used for future improvements to our property. Mahalo Nui Loa. We will look forward to welcoming you back to beautiful shores of Waikiki.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

My first time in Hawaii was wonderful at this resort. The resort was everything I thought it would be. Duke's food was great. Staff was always helpful. Very very clean. I have no bad things to say about the resort. We will be staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank tdjeva

Aloha tdjeva. Thank you for choosing the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach during your first visit to Hawai`i. We are glad you had a wonderful stay and nothing bad to say about our property. Please come back for another great vacation in paradise. Mahalo Nui Loa.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

This hotel has some great things going for it. You can walk straight onto the beach from the lower lobby. It is very central in Waikiki. I really like the Hula Grill downstairs. But there were some irritants:

When we checked in, after travelling for 20 hours at 9 am, we could only immediately get an Oceanfront room. The young chap offered us a deal - only an extra $100 - for three nights, that sounded good. But then he asks me to sign, it is $100 per night. I feel mislead, and a bit broke. But I really want to check-in. So we take the Oceanfront room for one night only. (The next morning we have no trouble checking in early to our Oceanview room - dodgy).

By the way, we prefer the cheaper room, as we don't get the noise from Duke's below, and we have a couch (Oceanfront room's space is taken up by a jacuzzi, which we don't use). The view is still really good, though less private as we're a little exposed to the neighbouring hotel. Still this is the value choice in my view.

I can hear Australian voices all over the hotel, but forget about making decent tea in your room. I rang housekeeping three times - I now see I need to ask for Lipton. Before that I got nothing, then pineapple (!), then caffeine free (!!). I had to ask for a kettle (only have coffee machine, which I don't drink). It appears to be designed for heating formula bottles. When I finally made some tea with the non dairy creamer, it was too awful.

They have an unusual lift system. Key to using the access cards is not to swipe (as it asks),but to tap it (thanks to an Aussie who pointed this out to me).

The hotel rooms look dated to me, though nothing seems worn.

Room Tip: The Ocean View rooms are the value choice. Tap your key, don't swipe it.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank GourmondoAdelaide

Aloha Gourmondo-Adelaide. Thank you for staying at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach during your business trip to Hawai`i. We are sorry that we did not have an Ocean-view room available when you arrived at our hotel at 9am. Our regular check-in time is 3pm everyday and when guests arrive early, our Front Desk staff is happy to locate an available room at that time. If there are no rooms available in the category that is reserved, we often offer discounted rates for upgrades to available higher category rooms. Guests who decline to upgrade can always store their belongings safely at our Bell Desk and they are welcome to utilize the hotel's facilities while waiting for their room. We hope you had an overall enjoyable stay with us. Mahalo Nui Loa.

Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel with my parents we had a one bedroom diamond head and ocean view suite. It was great the balconies we had were a bit small but hey at least we had 2. Dukes is awesome restaurant down stairs in the hotel which is where room service comes from. There is a great little coffee shop on the 1st floor fun to sit and watch the people on the street. If you are looking for a vintage shirt there is a shop that sales them all.
The hotel is in a perfect location with everything you need from the ABC store to a open air market with fun odd souvenirs. The beach is amazing make sure to rent the beach chairs under the brown umbrellas (not the ones from hotel) they are closer to water and way cheaper. Just go to the water sport hut on the beach side of the pool. Ask the front desk when they open because there will be a line. Make sure to walk around to the ally between Outrigger and The Royal Hawaiian to get super good and refreshing shaved ice.

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank Gypsylove

Aloha Gypsylove. Thank you for staying at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. Being centrally located, our hotel offers guests a large variety of shopping and dining options to explore. Mahalo Nui Loa for your five-star rating of our hotel.