“Great. But, let me give you some tips........”

Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Chantilly, Virginia
“Great. But, let me give you some tips........”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband, I and our two children just spent an amazing 10 days at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. The time at the hotel was simply amazing. The hotel was newly renovated back in August of 2012. So, everything is still nice looking. The staff was great and the room was clean. Some tips we've learned:
1. The hotel charges an obscene amount of money to rent beach chairs and toys. Your best bet is to go across the street to one of the ABC stores and get cheap beach toys and foldable chairs to use on the beach. You would think as a hotel guest, you would receive beach rentals for free. But, its not the case. It's 25 bucks to rent a chair all day. You could spend 25 bucks at ABC and use your chairs all week. And then pass it on to another family before you leave. This is what we did.
2. Waikiki beach is overly crowded. You feel like a packed sardine. I would suggest renting a car and going to Hailewea beach on the North Shore. Less crowded and more beach to spread out.
3. While you are over at the North Shore, check out the Thai food restaurants in the area, They are amazing.
4. If you are interested in activities like visiting Pearl Harbor etc. Do not go through the activities desk. Their people work for Expedia and a lot of their packages are way over priced. For our Pearl Harbor tour, we booked it ourselves and spent half of the money we would have going with one of their packages. I would suggest shopping around early. Visiting the hawaii discounts website etc. If you plan early, you will save money.
5. If you want to go snorkeling, go to Huanema bay early. I believe the park opens at 7am. Be there at 7am. Because by 10am, you will not be able to see the fish in the water due to all the suntain lotion and other chemicals that come off everyone's body in the water.
6. Check out Leonard's Bakery for their famous malisades pastries. They are like doughnuts but without the holes. This is a very famous bakery on Oahu and you have to visit it.
7. For Luau's, go for Paradise Cove. The Polynesian Cultural Center has a good show but their dinner sucks. And the Chief's Luau is ok but the setting is not that great. Paradise Cove has it all and the food was great. Go for the orchid rate and you will be fine.
This was our second time in Hawaii. Next time, I think we will plan on staying on Maui where its less crowded or staying on the North Shore on Oahu. Unless you like crowds, jacked up pricing and loads of high - end shopping, then stay on Waikiki.
Hope you have a good time.

Room Tip: Choose the city view room. You save lots of money and you still get a view of the beach.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
38 Thank Christy12222012
OutriggerWaikiki, Manager at Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Aloha Christy12222012, thank you for your travel tips and advice. We are glad that you have enjoyed your vacation while on the island. It was nice to have you as our guests and hear that you had fun while staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,376)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach over the Christmas holidays for one week. There were pro's and con's as there are with everything. Here's my list:

Pro's
Location location location - if you want central Waikiki then this is for you! Cheesecake Factory one block over. International Marketplace across the street. everything is right there, so location is great.

We requested a room higher up and got on the 12th floor with a nice partial view of the beach. There's street noise - music mostly until 11pm and then it was dead quiet... very nice.

The room was very clean. We were also fortunate in that our room was always tidied up in the morning, so we could come back mid-day and relax.

Beach access - obviously great. easy to rent chairs and umbrellas.

The bathroom is off from the rest of the room and the toilet and shower were seperated from the sink area with a slider.

Free safe in the room - very convenient.

Free wifi in the room (also a con - read below).

Arrangements with guest services for tours was great, along with bus routes etc.

Cons

Even though we were received very warmly, it still felt very disjointed. I found it hard to figure out the 2 levels at first and how to get to the pool and the beach. To be fair we arrived late at night and so if we had come during the day, maybe it would have been different.

Beds were very uncomfortable. It was perhaps the worst sleep I've had in any hotel I've been in lately. The pillows were really uncomfortable.

The airconditioning was such that it was either really hot or really cold. We were up quite a few times throughout the night trying to regulate the temperature but couldn't get it to work properly. Again, to be fair, we could have asked for it to be serviced, but we were never around long enough to bother.

Very spotty wifi - even in the lobby area. For two people who like to be connected at all times, this was really frustrating.

The free check-in that they allow on their business centre computers did not have our airline on it. So, instead I had to pay $5 for the connection and a further $1 for the printing. It seems like a small deal, but when I went to mention it to the reception area, that is what they told me I needed to do. In my mind, it would have been a small thing for them to cover the cost, but that was not offered.

Neither Duke's or Hula Grill offer very much for vegetarians, and with me being vegan, it was almost impossible. The one item on their menu was not to my liking. I found this to be consistent however in Waikiki in general and not just the hotel.

No robes...? seemed really strange to me.

No writing paper or pens on the desk... again - silly things, but when you expect it and its not there, its mildly irritating.

So, not trying to be nitpicky but that's it generally. Overall, its a great location and if anything I listed as a con would not bother you, then by all means, give the hotel a try. It really is an ideal location.

The one thing though that can't be fixed for me is the bed issue, and for that alone, I would not go back. There are so many hotels in Waikiki that I would prefer to give another hotel a try.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Lois2011
Aloha Lois2011, thank you for bringing your areas of concern to our attention as it will help us improve on the overall experience for our guests. The hotel is conveniently located to many stores and restaurants within walking distance.
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights in early December. We had an oceanfront spa room on the 4th floor. Views were fabulous from the lanai. The room was spacious and extremely clean and comfortable. I was a little concerned the noise from Dukes might bother us as we were on the 4th floor but it never did. Once the balcony door was closed you could not here anything. The location cannot be beat. Directly across from the International Marketplace, in the centre of shopping and restaurants and access directly onto the beach. We ate and drank at Dukes and Hula Grill several times. The pickup zone for the various trolleys is just outside the hotel. I highly recommend this Outrigger for anyone wanting a comfortable, well located and reasonably priced hotel in Waikiki. We will most definitely be returning here on our next visit to Honolulu.

Room Tip: Book an oceanfront room. Awesome views.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dimarie40
Aloha Dimarie40, we are happy you have enjoyed your stay with us. The hotel is located in close proximity to many shopping and dining establishments. The International Marketplace is a great place to shop for souveniors to bring home to your friends, family, and yourself. After a long day of activity, it is relaxing to come back to your ocean front room and have an unobstructed view of the ocean. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I am staying here now, and knew that the elevators were being worked on. HOWEVER, I did not realize that I would sometimes have to wait for 10 minutes for an elevator that had room for a teen and 2 average sized adults. I tried to use the stairs one one occasion, the stair well was clearly marked as a fire escape, and when a group of us got to the bottom, the door was marked as not an exit and was not able to be opened from the stairwell. Good thing there wasn't actually a fire or we would have been stuck. Had to go up a flight of stairs to come out on the 1st floor to get on the elevator to the lower lobby.

The pool is very small and there are not enough lounging chairs. People come out early to claim a group of chairs, and they never seem to actually use them. I was out there for a few hours this morning, and despite the sign posted at the towel check out stating that if you do not use your chair, after 90 minutes you will lose your spot. A few hours after I left the pool area, those chairs were STILL being saved by the same people. The hot tub is also small compared to the 2 at the reef, and it is full of children every time we attempted to use it.

I attempted to move my reservation to the Outrigger Reef, and was told that the cost would be double what I am paying now. NO EXCEPTIONS to the fact that I booked in February and we are repeat Outrigger customers here on Oahu.

Plus side? The room is clean and the staff are very friendly. The pull out couch is surprisingly comfortable as well.

Room Tip: If staying in a city view room, ask for the Diamond Head side as high as you can get.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank GirlyBob33
OutriggerWaikiki, Manager at Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Aloha GirlyBob33. Thank you for choosing the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. Mahalo for taking the time to let us know about your stay. Your comments about our pool chair policy and fire escape situation will be carefully looked into by our management team. We are glad to hear that you were satisfied with our rooms, staff and furniture. Please accept our apologies for the disappointments during your stay. Mahalo Nui Loa.
Parlin, New Jersey
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for about a day and a half after we got off the Pride of America. The stay was great from start to finish. We arrived around 9:30 am and we were able to check in and go right to our room. We were very grateful as we were soaked from standing out in the rain getting our rental car.

The room appeared newly renovated and was absolutely gorgeous. We were in Room 624 which was an oceanfront with king size bed and jacuzzi. Unfortunately we did not get to take advantage of the jacuzzi. They had lots of amenities in the bathroom including after sun lotion.

The staff was very nice and friendly. The only thing I didn't like was the timeshare tour to take at the activities desk. I wanted an outrigger canoe ride and felt the hotel should have something available like this other than going to the beach to rent. We ended up getting a tour from a place next to the hotel as the place that rented space from the hotel didn't have the staff available to do it.

Good choice of restaurants on property as we ate at Dukes and Hula Grill. The oceanfront view is to die for. The clear glass on the balconies is great and non obtrusive. The bed was very comfortable.

When I checked out I was told that if there was a problem with our flights (we had an 11 pm flight) we could come back to the hotel and have our room back as it was not going to be filled that night. I liked that. Unfortunately our flight was not cancelled so we didn't get to have another night in paradise.

I liked the central location of the hotel and will definitely return there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha hill6. Thank you for staying at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach following your cruise. The room you stayed in, 624, is one of our Deluxe Oceanfront rooms. We only have one of these unique rooms on each floor and it is one of our most popular room categories. The Deluxe Oceanfront rooms are relaxing, intimate and breath-taking. Perfect for couples, they feature full ocean views from lanais with glass balconies, a king-sized bed and a jacuzzi tub with bath amenities. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Mahalo Nui Loa.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 31, 2012

My best friend and I stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki for a week away for her birthday. It was a fantastic stay and the Outrigger was a fabulous hotel. The staff there were magnificent and I would especially like to thank Heather who helped us plan trips and experiences for the week we were there. She was incredibly friendly, knowledgable and had great customer service skills. She even told us where to go out at night which we greatly appreciated! All the staff were great, from reception to the restaurants..we actually found this was the case all over Waikiki which was fantastic. The location of the hotel is also perfect, you can walk to all the good shops and the beach is right there too. We even walked to Ala Moana and it wasn't too far away. Thank you Heather and thanks to all the staff at the Outrigger Waikiki!

Room Tip: We were in a partial ocean view room on the third floor and did not find it too noisy.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank LS2012_13
Aloha LS2012_13. Thank you for staying at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. It is wonderful to hear that our concierge, Heather, was able to assist in creating a memorable Hawaiian holiday for you and your best friend. Our staff members are always eager to help visitors enjoy every minute of their vacation in Paradise. Your compliments will be forwarded to Heather and the entire Outrigger Waikiki team. We are also very happy to hear that you had a relaxing stay in your Partial Ocean View room. Mahalo Nui Loa.
Innisfail, Australia
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Our recent 7 night stay at this property was excellent. Fantastic location right on the beach and central to all shopping and dining. The coin operated laundry at this property was very handy. Our room had an ocean view and was large and very clean. We were also able to check in at 8am after our 10hr flight from Sydney. Staff were pleasant to all guests. Drinks at Duke's Bar in the afternoon and tea at the Cheesecake Factory followed by evening walks and night shopping.
Fabulous! We will definitely come back soon!!!

Room Tip: Not much difference between partical ocean view and ocean view only price. If you plan on staying in...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank LISA L
Aloha LISA L. Thank you for spending a week at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. Your positive comments about our fantastic location, clean rooms, pleasant staff and on-site amenities are truly appreciated. Please come back soon for another visit. Mahalo Nui Loa.