“New, spacious, great new pool, friendly staff, A+ experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Waikikian by Hilton Grand Vacations

Grand Waikikian by Hilton Grand Vacations
Ranked #14 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Houston, TX
“New, spacious, great new pool, friendly staff, A+ experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2009

My husband and I (late 40’s) stayed here for 7 nights beginning 1/23. The pool had just opened and was quite a hit with the children, as it has a water slide. There is a small spa at the pool, as well – with emphasis on “small.” Having read earlier reviews, I can say that some “issues” seem to have been resolved. My thoughts on our stay:
Check in was a breeze. Although we were a bit confused and showed up at the HOTEL part of The Hilton. We did not realize the Grand Waikikian had a separate area/location for checking in. We were also presented with leis, which was a nice touch.
The new 1-bedroom condo (I’m not sure what it’s officially called, so I’ll refer to it as a condo.) was spacious, well appointed, loved the large garden tub connected to the bedroom, loved the large balcony. The kitchen was well appointed with dishwashing liquid, laundry detergent, coffee maker, coffee, tea fridge with ice maker, rice cooker, paper towels, microwave – really everything we needed. The granite countertops in the kitchen and bathroom are what one would expect at a new Hilton.
It is my understanding that internet is free if you stay at the Grand Waikikian, although we did not bring laptops.
The furniture was comfortable. The king-sized bed was heavenly. Plenty of pillows and soooffffffttttt linens…although I suppose being so new, the linens did shed and my husband and I would wake up with white fuzz balls in our hair an on our black night clothes (minor complaint). There is a flat-panel TV in the living room and bedroom.
The bathroom has a separate shower and plush towels. There are drawers for your toiletries to keep them out of sight. One thing that was missing was a vanity mirror (minor complaint).
I wondered if we would be bothered by outside noise. We were not! It was so quiet, we slept like babies! There was a small, but sufficient in-room safe in the closet. The a/c kept the room nice and cool. There was no hint of cigarette smoke or any other smell for that matter. It’s hard to imagine that someone would smoke in the rooms, as there is a law prohibiting smoking in most places in Hawaii except for at the beach and on public sidewalks.
When we tried to use the washing machine in the room, it definitely needed to be reset. If this is a glitch or is “the norm,” it would help if management posted a note near the washer explaining how to reset the washer so that it will come on.
Getting to the elevator to actually get to your floor is a bit tricky from the check-in area. It’s kind of like a maze, and the first elevator will take you down to the parking lot, so it would be advisable to post signs such as “elevator to parking garage,” and “elevator to rooms.”
We found that taking the parking lot elevator down to ground level would put us right at the street next to an ABC shop, restaurants and other conveniences.
There was still some ongoing construction at the building and pool; but these were minor nuisances at most. The fountain at the entrance to the building leading toward the elevator was being completed, so on some days we had to walk by construction noise and the smell of what can only be described as “airplane glue.” I assume that was a temporary issue. The pool restaurant was not completed, so there was no opportunity to get a quick bite while staying near the pool. Again, a minor inconvenience. Being able to ask for and receive as many towels as we wanted – and not having to return them was convenient.
The lounge chairs at the new pool were definitely side-by-side, so it would have been better to have a larger lounge area around the pool and adjacent to the lagoon (which is lovely, by the way); but that seems to be the norm at most hotels. People do put towels out early in the day to reserve lounge chairs which many do not use. Someone should come up with a universal solution to this “unused lounge chair held captive” approach to allow those of us who actually LOUNGE IN CHAIRS ALL DAY a chance to use them. Also, I do not understand why there are no umbrellas around the new pool to allow shade for those of us who do not want to bake and burn. It was lovely not smelling cigarette smoke from folks around the pool, so three cheers for the no-smoking law in Hawaii. I would say my biggest complaint is that I would have liked to seen more open lounge chair surface areas and an option to lounge under an umbrella.
Thus far, I have not read anyone mention the hospitality floor at the Grand Waikikian. It is reserved for those who have checked in before their room is available and also those who need a place to stay after they have checked out. It reminded me of the first-class lounges at airports. There are drinks, snacks, a place to store luggage, separate sitting areas with televisions, and I believe we were told that there are even showers for use. This is a nice option that will certainly come in handy for a lot of guests.
I am a very picky traveler who is more likely to give a negative review versus a positive one. So all in all, it was a good experience, and I would recommend the Grand Waikikian for the spacious and new rooms, and the ease of walking next door to dine at the many restaurants, shops, and the various other pools on the grounds of this massive property located on one of the widest beaches on Waikiki.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jamiedalejuliegail

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2009

I have spent nearly a week in Honolulu for the past three years. We got back from our 2009 trip last night. This was the worst hotel experience I have ever had. We booked a 5 night package directly with the Hilton. The package included 5 nights at the new Grand Waikikian, a rental car for 5 days, and 10,000 Alaska Airlines miles. When I booked the package I explained that we would only need a car for one day as we intended to spend most of our time at the beach. The car was needed for a quick business meeting on the west side of the island and a trip to the north shore afterwards. I was assured that the car would be ready to go at the Hawaiian Village on the day requested. When we checked in we quickly realized that the hotel was not completely finished. The pool was not open, many of the interior pots were not filled, and there was construction all over the hotel. We got such a great deal on the package that we were prepared to overlook that last minute things the hotel was completing. The day we arrived we visited the concierge desk to confirm that our car would be ready for us. We discovered that the hotel (and Hertz) had no record of our reservation. We were told a manager would correct the mistake and call us back right away. We went to lunch and when we came back we had a message confirming our request. On the morning we needed the car we went to the Hertz desk to find out that they still could not find our reservation. We went back to the concierge desk and the poor girl behind the counter made several calls to get us a car asap as we had a meeting we were going to be late for. It turned out that the car was being held at the airport, not the hotel, and would not be ready until noon (well after the 9am time we were confrimed for via phone two days prior). After we were told we could pick up the car Hertz told us we had to pay for it because the Hilton had not authorized payment. We just paid for it because we had to go even though the car was part of our pre-paid package. When we returned to the hotel that evening I requested to speak to a manager. No one would come down to speak with us. I asked to be reimbursed for the car rental. I was told that a manager would get back to me that evening with a solution. A manager called me a few hours later but could not give me a solution and said someone else would call me "first thing in the morning." At this point I was very frustrated but I agreed to wait for the morning call. Around 11am the next morning we still had not gotten a call. Again, I went to the office to speak to a manager. Again, no one wanted to help us and clearly no one had been working on a resolution. Later in the day I got a call from one of the "managers" of the reservation group. She is still working on getting this issue solved at this time. The whole experience was time consuming and frustrating on our "relaxing" vacation to Hawaii. The people working in the hotel never smiled or seemed pleased to see us. We didn't ask for much....a clean room and a rental car at the hotel as requested and confirmed. Overall I would not recommend staying at the Hawaiian Village. I feel like they are so big they don't really care about the average traveler. We also stayed two nights at the Outrigger Reef where everyone was friendly, helpful, and nice. It was cheaper than the Hilton too and in a better location on the beach. You can also get a drink for under $12 which is what a Mai Tai will run you at the Hilton!

• Liked — The hotel itself is beautiful
  • Disliked — The staff is rude and not helpful
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Megs98198
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2009

The Grand Wakikian is a beautiful hotel! We had a 2 bedroom ocean view ( I believe an accidental upgrade since we had only asked for a 1 bedroom ocean view).

The decor is beautiful. The kitchen had all major appliances necessary for self catering.
We had daily room service by extremely courteous staff!
I had unfortunately triggered the smoke alarm with cooking and hotel staff promptly came to disarm the unit.

It's a pity that the pool isn't ready, but to be quite honest that did not affect the quality of our stay as the walk to the Superpool and lagoon is so short.

One comment that I have to make is the front staff. They, I think are still evolving . We wanted to extend our stay by one night, since late check out in the hotel is 11 am and our flight wasn't until 10 pm, so that really wasn't too helpful.

I asked front desk if they could do the booking for us and was spoken to by a rather rude young lady who addressed me as " you folks" which I thought was terribly inappropriate.
She then told me that I had to call the general line for bookings. When I did this they said that the hotel should be able to do this.
I called her back and she proceeded to tell me that I should call the general line again! I told her that this was not my job to do and that I would like to speak to her manager.

Within the hour, the Manager did the booking and personally came out to our room to drop the receipt and new keys.

All in all, our experience was great and we would recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed January 2009
3 Thank reebs1
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2009

The building and the rooms at the Grand Waikikian are out of this world. The kinks of a new Property are yet to be worked out.

Kinks:

1. They had me booked in a Partial Ocean View when I booked a Ocean View (Bring your hotel confirmation with you)

2. It took three tries to find an acceptable room and they ended up giving us a 2 bedroom vs a one bedroom at a discounted price.

3. The computer went down and they could not issue keys so they had to escort everyone to their rooms until they could deliver keys.

4. The new pool area is not open which they did not tell people. You can use the faclities at HHV.

5. The cable box is hidden behind the cabinet which was a mistake becuase Time Warner cable boxes shut off on there own alot and unless you know where it is to turn it back on you won't have tv. After maintenance showed me where it was I had to turn it on 3 more time during the week.

6. The washer and dryer have a water shutoff valve which was triggered on ours which needed to be reset before we could use it.

I actually had a great time and really enjoyed the property but I wanted everyone to know what could happen. Oh, we also heard alot of fire alarms mostly becuase of cooking in the rooms and the smoke detectors.

Stayed January 2009
2 Thank goldbergd
La Jolla
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2009

The room I am in smells unbareably of smoke. One day, and 13 phone calls to Hotel Management / Hilton Corporate later, I have not been offerred a viable solution. Hotel management told me to wait a day, and the front desk may be able to help. Corporate told me hotel management has another 72 hours to respond, which means I could be in a stale smoke-filled room for 3 days.

Last night I also called hotel service to bring up sheets for the fold-out bed because I am here with my brother. It is the next morning and still nobody has brought bed sheets. I have to ask whether management is existent at this hotel. Maybe the staff are still developing like the hotel. There is ongoiong construction outside as I write this--and I did not see anything posted about it when I booked my stay last month. To the hotel's credit, it is a beautiful, new building with spacious rooms.

I could see how, if you have no issues come up at your stay, and your main interaction is with the concierge, this place would get an exceptional review. It is an exceptional building. As a Hilton Diamond member, I have stayed at many hotels, and I usually encounter good service at Hiltons when problems like mine arise. But here it takes hours for staff to respond to telephone requests, if they respond at all. You have to leave a message to speak with hotel management, and they may not respond to you.

A note to Hilton Diamond members: this property has a Penthouse Lounge. The Penthouse Lounge is not to be confused with the Executive Lounge. Diamond members do not have access to the lounge, and at Grand Vacations properties we do not get complimentary breakfast. I learned this when I tried to get breakfast this morning. They will give you a room upgrade, but that is the extent of your VIP benefits.

If you want better service, stay at the property next door: The Hilton Hawaiian Village (I like the higher floors of Tapa & or any room in the Ali'i Tower) or the Westin. The staff at the Hawaiian Village are more experienced with handling difficulties. I know this because I stay there almost every month. I also had a great experience with the pricey Westin Moana Surfrider--though you get less value for the room size. You could stay at the Grand Waikikian if you want more space, but the Embassy Suites are spacious. I really like the washer/dryer/sink/room-size that you can't find anywhere else for the price at the Grand Waikikian, but they need responsive management, and better trained staff.

• Liked — The room is spacious, has an amazing balcony and is fully stocked with appliances.
  • Disliked — Terrible service from management and the front desk--room smells of cigarette smoke.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank cxfx
Long Island, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2008

The Grand Waikikian opened it's doors for guest on December 26, 2008 and we checked in on "opening day." Because of that we encountered some problems that once they work out the "new hotel" kinks - they won't be a problem anymore.
First the good.... The property is beautiful. Everything is brand new of course and first quality. The lobby and the public areas are really breathtaking. The kitchen appliances are high end and the decor in each room is just lovely.
As with every hotel that is brand new there are problems associated with everything being untested. Our washer and dryer never really worked correctly until the handyman showed us that you have to actually unplug the washer each time you used it because something inside of it had to be reset. The outlet in our bathroom never did work. The pool was not finished and it looks like it has a few more weeks of work to go. You are however steps away from the lagoon which our kids really liked and of course a 4 minute walk from the main pool.
On the positive side we did do a lot of complaining and each time we did the managers were VERY nice and listened sympathetically to our issues.
All of our issues were slightly annoying but never anything serious like no power or no AC or heaven forbid elevators that didn't work.
Even if you are checking in next week go with absolute confidence that you will have a great time and enjoy this beautiful new hotel.
Aloha......

• Liked — How beautifully it was decorated
  • Disliked — Opening week snafus
  • Stayed December 2008