“"Wanted us to change our plans to Pearl Harbor"”

Discover Hawaii Tours
Ranked #21 of 336 Tours in Honolulu
More attraction details
Owner description: Leave those giant motor coaches to the herd. Savvy travelers join Discover Hawaii Tours on our small-group tours that include the Road to Hana, island sightseeing, eco tours, private tours and much more. Our huge selection of tours and our friendly, professional tour guides create an unforgettable experience of Hawaii that you'll love. We want you to feel at home in our islands, and it's our mission to provide the perfect tour for your Hawaiian vacation. We want you to love our tours so much that you’ll tell your friends! Since 1995, we’ve hand-selected the finest tour guides in the islands. Our guides are experts on Hawaiian history and culture, including Pearl Harbor and ancient Hawaiian folklore. When you choose Discover Hawaii Tours, your tour guide will be as memorable as the breathtaking sights around you.Discover Hawaii Tours is a locally owned and operated company with headquarters in Honolulu.
Reviewed June 26, 2014

My wife and I were going to Maui for our anniversary and were booking several different outings for the limited time we had there. I booked a tour with a flight from Maui to Pearl Harbor and paid for the trip, got an email from Discover Hawaii that they will be sending me a confirmation email with important trip details shortly at 8:11PM (EST). So we continued booking other tours, along with 3 rounds of golf at the plantation course where we were staying at with another couple that was coming in later than us. Then at 10:14PM (EST) two hours later I received an email from them asking me to call to discuss our tour, only to learn what I had booked and been charged for was not available because they did not have enough seats on the plane for us and want me to change my dates. I told the girl that I had already booked other things and then she asked me what so she could call them to change our plans. As I tried to explain to her we make our on plans and we were not going to changed them because we have a schedule that we want to go by. So I just told her to refund my money and she said it would take 7 to 10 days to do that, at which time I thought was a little unreasonable to me because they took my money in just a minute from my checking account, but wanted to wait 7 to 10 days to return my money because they do not a real time computer system to allow customers to book tours. I then asked to speak to the owner, but was given a manger on duty who told me that the accounting department had left for the day and she would process it tomorrow and it would take about 3 to 4 days. Once again I explained to her that in the modern world of technology they need to update their computer system to allow customers real time knowledge to prevent these problems. She proceeded to tell me that most people are more willing to change their plans to help them and I explained to her that we make our plans for us not others and I told her that I felt that if they could take my money so fast with having me agree with the changed trip, they need to refund my money just as fast. She told me that she would contact the accounting department manager to refunded my account the next day. Having a family business we know how important it is to take care of the client, not make them change to accommodate your mistakes and then ad insult to injury to make them wait for their money back. I would recommend that someone go get a MBA and then apply common sense to business knowledge of diversification of technology. This is 2014, you can get real time on a phone now.

2  Thank Derrel M
DiscoverHawaiiTours, Manager at Discover Hawaii Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

We continually strive to deliver the best experience possible to each and every guest, and we are sorry you had this experience. Kindly let us know what day you were to tour with us so we may address this further. We value your time, business and feedback. Please direct message us at jackie@discoverhawaiitours.com.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,844)

Reviewed June 24, 2014

We did 2 tours with Discover Hawaii, the island tour and finshed with the Lula at Sea Life Park. It was a great day and saw heaps of the island that we didn't even know. It was a great way to see the island and to finish off with the Lula which I highly recommend. The second tour was with Andrew and his is great. it was the adventure tour, where we went surfing, waterfall swim and to finish off snokelling at Hanauma Bay, this was the best part of the tour and the snokelling is awesome one of the best reefs I've been to, the fish are every where and very friendly ... if you are lucky you might see a turtle (which we did). But Discover Hawaii tours did a great job in showing us the best of what the island has to offer and so glad we booked the tours. The best thing is all our tours groups where small which was a bonus. Highly recommend

3  Thank Kerrie C

Mahalo for the gracious review. We are so happy to know the guides took good care of you. It was our pleasure to take you along and share the beauty, culture and heritage we're so proud of. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed June 24, 2014

As with all tours, it all depends on the tour guide. This company does offer small buses, but with all seats taken and little air conditioning it can be very uncomfortable. Our guide was a "Chatty Cathy" who gave us way too much personal information and not enough actual information. Our city tour included a quick drive through the Punch Bowl Cemetery, and a drive past some historic buildings with notable TV roles in some current and old shows. Thankfully she did not accompany us on the tour through Pearl Harbor, but I will give her credit for giving us good hints about where to sit in the movie (near the exit doors) so we could get to the boat to take us to the USS Arizona early enough to sit on the right hand side of the boat to get the best photo ops going over and to sit at the back of the boat for the best photo ops leaving the memorial. The trip back was again quite chatty and being stuck in the back of the bus with very little air conditioning blowing was very warm so we got out early and walked back to our hotel. The one advantage for using this company is they offer a 9am departure time to visit Pearl Harbor.

1  Thank Canrej

Mahalo for joining us on a tour and thank you for your feedback. We continually strive to deliver the best tour experience possible to each and every guest, and we are sorry you had a less than favorable experience. Kindly let us know what day you toured with us so we may address this. We value your time, business and feedback. Please direct message us at jackie@discoverhawaiitours.com.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

I booked and paid for my tour well over a month before arriving in Hawaii, as I was only there 6 days I organised what I could prior to leaving. On the 21/6 we set our alarm for 6.30 as tour pick up was 7.25 at 7.40 we contacted the tour company who advised us our tour was cancelled. We were told they didn't call because we didn't leave our mobile number even though they had the details of the hotel we were staying at. I asked for the name of the person I was speaking to as I had to contact the vendor I bought the tour from for a refund and he hung up on me. Another person did call us back later and offer to do the refund.

2  Thank beaky_10

We continually strive to deliver the best tour experience possible to each and every guest, and we are sorry you had this experience. Kindly let us know what day you were to tour with us so we may address this situation. We value your time, business and feedback. Please direct message us at jackie@discoverhawaiitours.com.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

highly recommend it! we got to see movie attractions, swim in a waterfall, visit many beaches.
the guide knows a lot about Hawaii, Christine was great

1  Thank fraz09
DiscoverHawaiiTours, Manager at Discover Hawaii Tours, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2014

Mahalo for the gracious review. We are glad to know Christine took good care of you on the Circle Island Tour. It was our pleasure to take you along and share our culture and heritage we're so proud of. We look forward to seeing you again soon!