“Dennis was great”

and up
Oahu Circle Island Tour
Ranked #20 of 327 Tours in Honolulu
More attraction details
Owner description: Leave those giant motor coaches to the herd. Savvy travelers join Discover Hawaii Tours on our small-group tours that include the Road to Hana, island sightseeing, eco tours, private tours and much more. Our huge selection of tours and our friendly, professional tour guides create an unforgettable experience of Hawaii that you'll love. We want you to feel at home in our islands, and it's our mission to provide the perfect tour for your Hawaiian vacation. We want you to love our tours so much that you’ll tell your friends! Since 1995, we’ve hand-selected the finest tour guides in the islands. Our guides are experts on Hawaiian history and culture, including Pearl Harbor and ancient Hawaiian folklore. When you choose Discover Hawaii Tours, your tour guide will be as memorable as the breathtaking sights around you.Discover Hawaii Tours is a locally owned and operated company with headquarters in Honolulu.
Fort Mill, South Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Dennis was great”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

The tour was excellent. Dennis our guide was not only knowledgable but also humorous. He shared a lot of interesting facts and helpful hints to make the most of the Pearl Harbor tour. The cost of this tour was a great value.

South Carolina Resident

• Korean first
  • Slovak first
“Awesome guide awesome tour”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

We went on the Sahara bus Eco tour around the island. We saw some very great spots. Our tour guide Cody was awesome and full of information for the whole trip. Would recommend if you want to explore the island more

Visited October 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Tour company almost left us behind because of gov't shutdown.”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We booked a tour of Pearl Harbor directly from the Pearl Harbor website. The tour was provided by Discover Hawaii Tours. After we arrived in Honolulu we found out that the Arizona memorial was closed due to the gov't shutdown. I attempted to call the tour company in advance to see what alternate plans they had, but was not able to get through. We decided to wait for the tour at 8:45AM at Aloha Landing as scheduled. By 9:00 the tour bus hadn't shown up. The dispatcher at Aloha Landing called them. After 10 minutes of being on hold, they finally answered the phone. The dispatcher let me speak to them. They told me that there was a change in plans because of the shutdown. When I booked the tour I gave them a home phone #, cell # and e-mail address, but they never contacted me in advance. The person I spoke to told me that they substituted the USS Missouri and that there was an additional charge of $20. I told him that was OK, but when are they going to pick me up? He wouldn't tell me until I gave him a credit card #. He then told me that a cube would be there in 15 min. I asked him what he meant by a cube, but he wouldn't tell me. About 15 min. later a Nissan Cube with the tour company name showed up and took us to meet our tour group at Pearl Harbor.

What would have happened if the dispatcher hadn't called the company? Would they have refunded what we already paid for the tour? Why didn't they contact us in advance instead of just not showing up? I guess I'll never know.

The only good thing was our tour guide, a Hawaiian lady, did a great job. I felt bad letting out my frustrations on her, but she did everything she could to make the best of the situation the tour company put us in.

I would not recommend Discover Hawaii Tours.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank KenGPhila
DiscoverHawaiiTours, Manager at Discover Hawaii Tours, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Aloha,

We did in fact call every single one of our guests that were booked on tours to notify of the shutdown and the options for each tour moving forward. We also placed many notifications on our website and various Social Media outlets alerting and informing our guests of the Government shutdown and the affect on our tours.

The additional charge for the USS Missouri was to cover the cost of admission. A voice message was left on the number provided by you detailing the changes in tour, and asking for a return call so that we would know if you would be joinging us on tour. We dispatched a private driver to pick you up and take you to Pearl Harbor. Since our call was not returned, we proceeded with the cancellation of the orginal tour. The tour that you booked was the USS Arizona Memorial and Honolulu City Tour; this tour was cancelled, though, as you've stated, we did subsitute the USS Missouri, with the additional charge of admission.

We did attempt to contact you, but our calls and messages went unresponded to. We are aware that our guests might not check messages while on vacation, but in an event like this, we took every measure we could take to contact you.

Mahalo,
Melbourne, Australia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Highly Recomend this Company”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

During our stay in Honolulu we did two tours with this company. The buses are clean and comfortable with great air conditioning which was really needed
Firstly the Complete Pearl Harbour Experience and then the Ultimate Circle Island Eco-adventure.
We had the very funny Tavi (I hope I have remembered his name correctly!) for the Pearl Harbour tour. His knowledge was impeccable, touched with humour and fun. We had a big day trying to fit it all in and he kept a tight ship. As we left Pearl Harbour we paused while listening to Tavi read a poem in honour of the fallen - a truly moving moment which will not be forgotten quickly. Upon leaving Pearl Harbour we did a city tour of Honolulu before dropping everyone back at their hotels.
We had the guide Nanci for our Eco adventure - another great guide who really knew her stuff. She also has impeccable knowledge of her beloved island and she was very helpful and sweet. We had a small problem where another vehicle reversed into ours which put us behind a little, but Nanci was very professional thoughout the entire ordeal. We really enjoyed this tour, another full day, but we saw so much and learned a lot of the Hawaiian culture - Mahalo Discover Hawaii Tours - if we are ever lucky enough to be back in Hawaii, we'll be sure to look you up again - will highly recommend to all

Winnipeg, Canada
“Awesome Eco Adventure!”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

If you get the chance, book with a driver named Kapena. His stories will captivate and delight you as he drives around the island. I went on the O'Ahu Circle Island Tour (E1), and as a single traveller, I felt well taken care of. You cover a lot of ground, but you never feel rushed. Great tour!

Aloha,

Thank you for your review!

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your tour, and that Kapena was captivating. Our Oahu Circle Island Eco-Tour is one of our most popular tours, and is a terrific way to become familiar with the island of Oahu. We are so happy that you felt taken care of, and that you enjoyed your time with Discover Hawaii Tours.

We hope that you enjoyed your trip to Hawaii and that we will see you in Hawaii again.

Mahalo,