“Had no choice”

Ranked #22 of 335 Tours in Honolulu
More attraction details
Owner description: Leave those giant motor coaches to the herd. Savvy travelers join Discover Hawaii Tours on our small-group tours that include the Road to Hana, island sightseeing, eco tours, private tours and much more. Our huge selection of tours and our friendly, professional tour guides create an unforgettable experience of Hawaii that you'll love. We want you to feel at home in our islands, and it's our mission to provide the perfect tour for your Hawaiian vacation. We want you to love our tours so much that you’ll tell your friends! Since 1995, we’ve hand-selected the finest tour guides in the islands. Our guides are experts on Hawaiian history and culture, including Pearl Harbor and ancient Hawaiian folklore. When you choose Discover Hawaii Tours, your tour guide will be as memorable as the breathtaking sights around you.Discover Hawaii Tours is a locally owned and operated company with headquarters in Honolulu.
Reviewed July 9, 2013

So, since I booked really late, the only way that I could get tickets to see the Arizona in Pearl Harbor was to book a full tour. That said,if I had booked Arizona tickets ahead of time, we would have just rented a Jeep for the day and toured ourselves. We spent a little time at Pearl Harbor, but we would have spent much more had we rented a car. So much to see there. We did the Polynesian Cultural Center, which was fabulous and we could have spent much more time there, too. My kids loved that part the most. The parade was great - wish we had seen each "village." The Byodo-In Temple was beautiful. The beaches we stopped at were great, but since we couldn't wear swimsuits, we couldn't swim. The Dole Plantation was a let down tourist trap - and free to get in, btw. Didn't know that there was a train around the plantation until it was too late to take it. The tour guide himself, though, was great and informative and interesting! He was Hawaiian and we learned a whole lot about Hawaii, which I enjoyed so much. He pointed out sights and kept a running commentary. But we drove a lot. The buffet food was okay - the atmosphere was great. We got dropped off at the airport 2 hours ahead of time, so a lot of wasted time there. If you can get Pearl Harbor tickets, just go it alone. This was an expensive day, for sure, but worth it to see Pearl Harbor.

There are newer reviews for Discover Hawaii Tours

Reviewed July 8, 2013

This tour has SO much in it! It is a great way to see some of the most important places on Oahu! If you can do the package that includes the South Shore as well, then you would have basically covered a majority of the highlights of Oahu! Nanci, our tour guide made this trip the best for us! She was so knowledgable, helpful and enthusiastic! Her love for this island which she moved to 40+ years ago shows in everything she does! Her day-long commentary was informative, valuable and never got boring! At the end of the day, we felt so looked after, that we feel we made a friend whom we would love to see the island with again the next time we are back!

1  Thank Christhannah
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Although my husband and I planned out our 3 week vacation to the Hawaiian islands well (we have been traveling with our 3 children as well...two 10 year olds and one 6 year old) we forgot to get Pearl Harbor tickets in advance on the government website! Since our last island was Oahu and we were there for 4th of July week -- we could no longer get tickets on the site.

The next option was to arrive at Pearl Harbor at 6AM and wait in line and hope that we could get tickets. No thanks. But, we felt this was a very important part of the trip for our children (my husband and I had already been to Pearl Harbor).

So, the last option was to find a tour company who does the work for you. It does cost money but you don't have to wait hours in line, etc.

For this tour -- it cost about $199 for the 5 of us. We were on a large bus (not the small Discover Hawaii buses) and it was fine. I'll admit we are not fans of tours - we like to adventure ourselves, but, I'm glad we did this - it turned out very well.

Our guide was Matt on Sunday morning and he was charming but a bit tired (he mentioned it was supposed to be his day off). But, he knew a lot and pointed out all of the fun TV filming locations and everything about Punch Bowl, various government buildings, etc. On this tour -- downtown is just drive through -- no stopping for pictures of the Royal Palace or King Kamehameha's statue, etc.

I do recommend this tour for the knowledge of the tour guide and the ease of getting into the USS Arizona Memorial.

1  Thank lewistexas
DiscoverHawaiiTours, Manager at Discover Hawaii Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Aloha LewisTexas-

Thank your for taking the time to review your tour. We are very happy to hear that your family enjoyed the tour. We hope that your trip to Hawaii was wonderful, and would love to see you again should you return to the Islands.

Mahalo,

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We booked a Pearl Harbor trip for 6/28 with Discover Hawaii Tours - through "Reserve Hawaii" booking company. Our sole goal for going to Waikiki was to see Pearl Harbor with our three kids. As it turns out - Discover Hawaii booked us for 7/28 rather than 6/28 - even after I called on 6/27 to confirm pickup at the hotel!! Even after their mistake - and showing up 45 minutes late to the hotel for pickup - they would not get us into Pearl Harbor - said they couldn't find tickets. They didn't even let me know they had messed things up until I confronted the driver at the hotel. Called Reserve Hawaii as well to try and rectify - but they were no help at all. Even after I eventually got a refund - my kids and I were devastated at not getting into Pearl Harbor. These company's offered no solutions and I would absolutely stay away from both of them - poorly managed with bad customer service. Please take my advice - don't use either Discover Hawaii Tours or Reserve Hawaii.

3  Thank Bill F

Aloha Bill F.

Thank you for taking the time to review your tour. We are very unhappy that you've had a bad experience with our company. and can assure you that steps are being taken to correct the mistakes that were made.

Pearl Harbor tickets are limited and in situations such as yours, tickets can be near impossible to come by. The number of tickets are limited each day and without advanced notice, we are under the same limitaions as every other visitor to Pearl Harbor.

We thank you for choosing Discover Hawaii Tours, and hope that you enjoyed your visit to Hawaii.

Mahalo,

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Jesse, our tour guide was so friendly, informative and entertaining.
Gave us a 130 mile tour of the island to the different attractions.It was a relaxing whole day affair and got to meet wonderful people from all over the world.

1  Thank Hermenegildo A