“Wonderful Hotel...”

Ranked #31 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Calumet City, IL
“Wonderful Hotel...”
Reviewed March 17, 2010

My husband & I stayed at the Ohana Waikiki Beachcomber on Mar.10 & it was a excellent stay. When we arrive & the rep found out it was our birthday & anniversary, she upgraded our room for free. Everyone was so helpful and friendly. Once we arrived in our room, room service delivery a box of chocolates and a birthday card. The hotel is in located in a very confident spot & the center of the action; which is what we were looking for. The hotel is one block from the beach. They offer a free trolley ride also. I will definitely stay at the Ohana Waikiki Beachcomber again. I really enjoyed myself, especially since this was my first trip to Hawaii.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (726)
  • Korean first
Orebro, Sweden
Reviewed March 17, 2010

Transferring from Hilton to Beachcomber, I was pleasently surprised of my impressions of the Beachcomber. Well, a few more steps to the beach (not that many), a little bit more noise around the hotel at night (at least on weekends) but not a big issue. Beachcomber is a cheaper hotel but with nicer rooms! Better standard at least in the bathroom. Hilton had nicer surroundings, such as wonderful pool- and beachareas, but the area so big I couldn´t find my way around. The Beachcomber had a nice relaxing athmosphere, it was simply convenient staying there. Pool-area ok, poolbar with surf-museum and very cool bar/restaurant! Hotelstaff friendly and nice. Easy living at this hotel. I liked it and I recommend it!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Denver Co
Reviewed March 12, 2010

When the airport van pulled up, I was in shock. It was not my idea of a dream vacation hotel. The lobby is on the second floor, you need to take an escalator up. I looked around for a bellman to help with the luggage but couldn't find one. I finally asked one of the parking valets if there was bell service and he said he would call. I was so looking forward to this trip and was so disappointed. I mentioned this to the desk clerk as I checked in and she upgraded my room!!!! That was a shock, I now have a gorgeous view of the ocean. The room itself isn't too bad, but it could be cleaner--carpet is dirty around the entry and bath area. The coffee maker was dusty andd the handle for the shower wouldn't not stay where you wanted. Staying right on the main street is noisy. With the balcony door open you can hear almost everything going on 21 floors below. The thing I really hate is there is NO room service. It would be nice to sit on the balcony and have breakfast. It is not bad but I would not rate it 3 almost 4 stars, it is more a 2 star. It seems now that I am here I can see there are a few better places for about the same amount of money. The swimming pool is right off the hotel lobby and the pool is small. Haven't made to the beach yet but people say it is across the street---I don't see it. I think it is a block away.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
East Meadow, New York
Reviewed March 5, 2010

Friends told us we must stay on the beachfront but since we would have to pay $60-75 more a day minimum, we opted for the Ohana Waikiki Beachcomber Resort Hotel which is one block from the beach on the access street alongside its sister hotel across the street. That one block is nothing as compared to saving $350 over our 5 day stay. We had a very large comfortable room with a balcony facing other hotels, a very good bed and bathroom, refrigerator, free wifi, cheaper parking, good swimming pool, and convenient location to all the stores and restaurants. We thought the saving was worth it, especially when the tsunami alert caused all the cars from the oceanfront hotels to be moved to our garage, when our hotel on stilts was safe from possible harm, and when we could easily get in and out of our garage to explore other areas whenever we wanted without battling as much traffic.

1 Thank larktrav
Winnipeg
Reviewed March 1, 2010

We were at the Beachcomber from Feb.10 thru Feb. 26. We had checked out many hotels before booking and felt that the Beachcomber offered a good deal, every third night free. We stayed on the 15th floor with Kalakaua Avenue ocean view. The staff was great in every way. The hotel is super clean. Location is the best. We would not hesitate to stay at the Beachcomber again.

1 Thank DimplesWinnipeg
Waimea, Hawaii
Reviewed February 28, 2010

We had this place inflicted on us by Hawaiian Airlines - what a dump. We had flown in from Auckland, had our connecting flight cancelled, had to wait around the airport for hours waiting for Hawaiian to make good on it's promised hotel voucher and ended up having to pay $190 ( and we are local Hawaii residents) for a dinky front room with no black out curtains, stinking of smoke, and were variously serenaded from street level (and this was on the 25th floor!) by rap music, kept awake by what sounded like a drunken sorority party apparently in the next room, and by loud talking/partying up and down the hallways. Finally sort of quieted down around 3 AM. We left at 6, no intention of ever returning. No local discounts, no nothing. Blech.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank KohalaGal
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 26, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Beachcomber from 2/16 – 2/23 and had a great stay.

About us: I am an avid reader and poster on Trip Advisor. We are also pretty easy going people that don’t let the little stuff bother us while on vacation. We typically will choose a hotel based on location, price, and decent reviews for being clean.

I would have to say that the Beachcomber met our expectations and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a nice hotel, in a great location, at a decent price.

We decided to go to Waikiki and the Beachcomber due to the deal that is currently available. The package is the “Jimmy Buffett’s at the Beachcomber Hawaii Vacation Package” that can be found by going under the Margaritaville website and linking to the Beachcomber café. There is a small banner at the bottom of the page that links to the deal but note that it is currently only available through June 30th 2010

The package included:
- 3 night stay
- Welcome drink (Margarita or beer)
- Full breakfast for 3 days
- A Burger and Beer (or margarita) lunch
- VIP card for priority seating and a 15% discount on food and merchandise

The total was $369 plus tax. The additional nights that can be added are $99 + taxes.

So after checking the mostly favorable reviews we called and booked it. The phone reservation people were very helpful when asking about particular date availability and out of the 3 people my wife spoke to only 1 wasn’t too familiar with the package. When we actually booked the person was very helpful and told us exactly what to expect, made sure costs were what we expected, etc.

Check – in: Smooth and quick. It took maybe 5 mins if not less. They had everything prepared ahead of time so I think that helped expedite the process. The little complimentary beach bag they give you is a nice touch and it was handy for carrying a few things to the beach.

Room – Our room was on the 8th floor towards the back side of the building. The room itself was tastefully decorated and it was spotless. It was what I expected, after reading the many reviews and looking at pictures of the rooms online.
We liked how the bathroom area (shower and toilet) was separate from the vanity area. The shower was basically a stall shower which was fine for us. It would have been nice to have a venting fan but hotels often don’t have one. It was a little less of an issue here since the mirror was located outside the shower area.
The furniture in the room was new, there was a nice flat screen TV, and the sliding shutters for the balcony doors fit the décor and worked nicely. Also, one of the best features was having a small refrigerator in the room to keep drinks and bottled waters cold.
The balcony itself was also nice with 2 chairs and a table with a view was better than I expected. Looking to the left we could see the ocean between the Royal Hawaiian and the Sheraton and to the right was a partial mountain view. The rest wasn’t pretty to look at, but again, it was what I expected being where it is located. We often opened up the sliders when we were in the room but it was pretty noisy from the air conditioner units on the building roof next door. The nice breeze outweighed the noise for us and we just closed them when we wanted it to be quiet.
The only disappointment in the room was that we ended up with 2 Full beds instead of a King. We cannot sleep in a Full since we tend to bump each other a lot even in a Queen size bed. So instead of trying to change rooms we decided to make the best of it and each take a bed. It didn’t do much for the romance department but we did sleep well 

Elevators: I put this as a category because I read a lot of reviews that mentioned how slow they are. I have to say that they were not bad at all. During peak times, around 4-7pm there was a little wait but even then I don’t think we waited for more than a couple of minutes

Location: As they always say it is all about location, location, location and I don’t think there is a better reasonably priced hotel for the location this hotel is in. It is right in the middle of the main street with the Royal Hawaiian and the Outrigger Beach across the street. You can be from your room to the beach in less than 10 minutes. There are also endless food options within a few minutes walk in any direction and the International Marketplace is next door. Considering that the hotels I just mentioned average from $100-$300 more a night the Beachcomber is hard to beat.

Jimmy Buffett’s at the Beachcomber – This is very similar, or basically is a Margaritaville. Many of the same food options are present as well as some more Hawaiian style dishes. We had the 3 breakfast meals, 1 lunch, and 1 dinner (shared a couple appetizers). We felt the dinner prices were a little high but not that far off from a lot of Waikiki restaurants. For the other meals we didn’t pay too much attention to prices since they were included in our vacation package. Overall, we would have to say that the food was consistently good.

Hotel Staff: All of the hotel employees we dealt with were pleasant and helpful. We had two different issues with our key and they took care of it within minutes with no problem. The Buffett restaurant/bar employees were equally as nice and always remembered us the few times we went in. We also chatted with the manager of the retail store for some time about our Parrothead experiences. So overall they were great and several took the time for some small talk that made our stay feel very welcoming.

Check-out: It went just as smooth as check-in. Within minutes we were sadly on our way back home to Massachusetts and the cold weather that waited.

Tip – the store in the hotel that has snacks, drinks, gifts, etc currently has bottled water $.10 cheaper than the ABC stores. Not much of a difference but being in the lobby it was convenient with the bonus of being cheaper.

So overall I would highly recommend this for a more budget minded traveler looking for a nice hotel in a fantastic location.

14 Thank srauhala