“Will stay again!”

Ranked #33 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Campbell River, Canada
“Will stay again!”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Beachcomber for two weeks in August. We loved the central location, the clean room and the friendly staff. Really looking forward to a return visit after Christmas. I highly recommend this great hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Guest Service M... B, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Waikiki Beachcomber, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Aloha Brenda and thank you for your kind review of your recent Beachcomber stay! We're delighted to hear that you found our hotel, location and staff to your liking and that you enjoyed your time in Waikiki. We look forward to your return to the Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber
Resort in the near future

Daniel G.
Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (730)
  • Korean first
Kavieng, Papua New Guinea
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I first stayed in this HI earlier this year (May 2013) on the 14th floor facing Diamond Head.This time (December 2013) I was on the 9th floor facing the opposite direction. On the first occasion, my otherwise pleasant stay was marred by noise. Would my second stay be any different? If you are sensitive to night-time noise disturbance, you should find this report particularly helpful in choosing rooms.

On both occasions, the room type was the same: partial ocean view, although the Diamond Head side was far better. The room itself was more spacious than your average HI room and very clean and well maintained. All the usual in-room amenities are there: fridge (but no mini bar), iron and ironing board, multi-channel TV, tea and coffee making facilities, laundry service, daily housekeeping.

The bathroom is smallish and quite dated, but at least the bath linen and toiletries were of excellent quality - which was actually a step above the usual HI standard which I have found in many other of their hotels elsewhere around the world.

The bed was very comfortable. Indeed, this is no longer a surprise for me at IHG hotels as this aspect is one in which they seem to excel. Only one time in Midtown Manhattan, New York was the bed less than comfortable.

The wi-fi connection was both strong and reliable, and never once dropped out or was slow in the six days I was there.

My interaction with the staff was quite limited: only during check-in and check-out, but always they were cheerful, professional and eager to please. Perhaps my one issue with the hotel itself was that despite calling itself a 'HI Resort', it is in reality just a hotel, albeit one located in an excellent location. By comparison, the last 'proper' HI Resort I stayed at was in Port Vila, Vanuatu

But the biggest concern I had was actually beyond the hotel's control, and therefore I do not attach any blame to the hotel. Quite simply, it is noisy at night and difficult to get a good night's rest. On the Diamond Head side, the incessant and audible droning of the heavy duty air-conditioning units above Macy's department store is not really discernible in daytime. But come nightfall, light sleepers will certainly notice the low and persistent droning noise it makes. Mind you, this was from 14 stories up and behind fully shuttered doors and drawn curtains!

On the opposite side there was still noise from the adjacent building's units as well, but not as bad as the Diamond Head side, despite being on a lower floor (9th level). However, sleep only came with great difficulty for me. At this point you may be asking yourself: why didn't the fool just wear earplugs? Good point. But I have very pressing reasons for not doing so. I have on two occasions (in Sydney and Singapore) stayed in good hotels where late night/early morning fire alarms were triggered. In Sydney, this actually required full scale evacuation!

My point is that emergencies at hotels can and do happen. And what if I had put on earplugs at HI Beachcomber Waikiki and an emergency really did happen while I was blissfully asleep and unaware?! Its not something I agonize over and let my holiday be ruined, but its not a trivial point either from personal experience. So, my advice to light sleepers - and it may seem counter-intuitive - is to get a room facing the front overlooking busy Kalakaua avenue. Ironically, the front rooms may be the quietest in the evening because there are no air-con units on that side. And traffic noise is really not so bad late at night either.

So if it weren't for the noise factor, I would probably have given 4* instead of the current 3*

PROS: Excellent location. Good value. Good rooms. Fast internet. Friendly staff.
CONS: Not really a HI 'resort'. Bad noise disturbance.

If my report helped in your decision-making, or if you enjoyed the photos, then please take the time to click the "was this report helpful?" button located below. This is the only feedback I get from you dear reader, and I do appreciate your acknowledgement.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
21 Thank ExLibris76
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Waikiki Beachcomber, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear ExLibris76,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I'm truly delighted you liked your room accommodation. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I would like to offer a sincere apology for the inconvenience the outside noises had caused you and regret that you were not satisfied with the service you received from our staff. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer for to our guests.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Buckingham, Canada
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Me and my mother recently returned from a 7 day stay at this Hotel. This Hotel was clean with a very friendly staff and one of the best locations in Waikiki. This Hotel is updated and has spacious rooms that are well designed and SPOTLESS. The mini fridge was a huge convinience. Having so many wonderful shops, restaurants and the beach all within a 5 mins walking distance made this location ideal for us. There is an Ihop, Chilli's, Cheesecake Factory, Subway, McDonalds as well as several local restaurants all near by. The restaurant in the Hotel was FABULOUS. As for shops we loved beibng able to walk to Ross as prices there are very good. Also loved all the trolleys, busses and shuttles available at pretty much every corner. Anytime we needed the staff they were friendly and professional. Our phone did not work in our room and it took several tries but they did eventualy get it working. Expedia agent in labby was very helpful and we were able to book all of our excursions in one place.

The down side are as followed. We were on the second floor and after reading past reviews I knew this would be an issue. I requested a higher floor at check in but they were complely booked. They asked us to come back in the morning and after 16 hours of travel I was good with that. Once in our room we were so exhausted we went straight to bed. Slept soudly and like a baby due to being so tired. The next morning we decided to stay in our room on the second floor and un packed. Well the next night it was bad. First off our view was the roof of the delivery area. There was a pair of woman's used underwear on the roof as well as garbage. Then at 5:00am the delivery trucks started showing and when they back up all you hear is beep, beep, beep........ Also our room was close to the elevators so the beeping everytime someone arrived on our floor was very annoying. Added to the fact that we were close to the ice machine and well it got very noisy. Guests were extremely respectful and quiet but everything else was a little much. Now mind you we did not ask to be moved as for us it would have been inconvenient to re-pack and move and we had something booked everyday so time was an issue for us. We did get some sleep just not as much as we would have liked. The ringers on the elevators should be toned down as they are quite loud.

Overall I would recomend this Hotel but make sure to ask for a higher floor. Also consider requesting being away from the elevators. I give this a 4 star as the staff and loacation were wonderful.

PROS:
Spotless rooms
Friendly staff
Location, Location, LOCATION
Very comfortable beds and pillows

CONS:
Terrible views from our 2nd floor room
Very noisy as we were near the loading docks
Also close to elevators heard the "ding" of the elevators during our hole stay
Ice machine in the middle of the floor made it noisy for guests near by

Please note: If you are a smoker this is a smoke free Hotel and that is 100% OK but you cannot even smoke out on the balconies. We were non-smokers but I did notice a few guests were upset.

Room Tip: We were in room 219 VERY NOISY!!!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Melanie K
Aloha Melanie and thank you for your review of the Beachcomber! We're glad to hear you enjoyed your visit. We would like to apologize for the room accommodations you had and any inconvenience you may have encountered that did not live up to your expectations. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your business and you choosing to stay with us and look forward to your return and give you a nice room in the future.

Daniel Guittu
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I booked a family room and with amenities fees/taxes it came out to US$200+. There are cheaper hotels behind the main street in Waikiki but likely you would find them listed in TA. Overall this is one of the better Holiday Inn hotels i stayed in terms of location. As for cleanliness, comfort, there are ' given/standard" to expect if you are HI frequent stayer so no complaints here.

The location is absolutely central, across the road, Royal Hawaii Centre (handy for higher end shopping), adjacent the International Market (rip off, low quality street goods stall manned by foreigners, poor quality food court fare - best avoided), walk across to the beaches, etc..

Overall our stay at HI exceeded our expectations and we wanted to extend our stay but left it too late and it was fully booked (maybe cos if s Dec -peak season with the Honolulu Marathon). So don t hesitate, just book !!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Highadventurer
Aloha Highadventurer and thank you for your kind review of your recent Beachcomber stay! We're delighted to hear that you found our hotel and location to your liking and that you enjoyed your time in Waikiki. We look forward to your return to the Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber Resort in the near future.

Daniel G
tampa fl
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Best location , a short walk to the beach across the street. Right in the middle of everything. Staff is great. A nice pool and bar and Jimmy Buffets restaurant is great. The partial ocean view is a great room

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank middleseatTampaFl
Guest Service M... B, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Waikiki Beachcomber, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Aloha middleseatTampaFl,
It is wonderful to hear that you were able to take full advantage of our centrally located property while being able to relax and enjoy the partial view of the ocean. Thank you for the praises on our Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber Ohana as we take great pride in providing excellent service to our guests. Mahalo for staying with us and we hope you come back soon.
Reid K.
australia
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Holiday Inn has a great position if shopping and being close to the restaurants are your main priority. To be fair a hotel must be judged by its price point. Our friend booked this hotel at a very cheap rate we were on the sixth floor, the view from the lanai was dismal. Having said that the room was great, renovated and large. The Beds were one of the most comfortable beds we have slept in and we travel a lot in many high rating paces. The first night the air conditioning units kept us up but we settled the next eight nights. The bathroom was fine. Due to booking three rooms we were fine with it. I probably would not stay again due to wanting a view however if that is not your priority its is a great choice for the price. If your can get this hotel for under $190 its a good bet however i wouldn't pay more. I wouldn't eat at any of the eateries the breakfast was not that good and Jimmy buffets was mediocre at best. They need to be freshened up in my opinion. The pool was tiny and as i am a beach person it didn't bother me but our friends who like the pools were very happy with it.
Overall a nice hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floor the better.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank miztraver
Simeon M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Waikiki Beachcomber, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Aloha and Mahalo for taking the time in reviewing our Resort. We appreciate your feedback and happy that you enjoyed our location and amenities. We are centrally located in the heart of Waikiki and many of our rooms on the higher floors have great views of Diamond Head and Waikiki Beach, please contact us if you are ever back on Oahu and we be more than happy to accommodate your requests for a better view. Again, thank you for staying with Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber Resort – we look forward to serving you in the future.
Clarkdale, Arizona
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We stayed here for five night in May to celebrate graduation and birthdays. We upgraded our room to the ocean view, I am so glad we did. It was wonderful. We also requested the highest floor possible. Our room was big enough for all four of us, we didn't spend a lot in the room, but at night we did get a good nights rest. We really liked the fancy toilet, it had a heated seat, water cleaner and a bottom drier. It is in walking distance to the beach, and we went swimming every morning and evening. It is also right next to the market place, so we could go get a meal quickly. We would stay there again without any hesitation.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank VandJ2
Aloha and Mahalo for taking the time to write a wonderful review. We are certainly proud to have a great resort with an excellent team , centrally located in the heart of Waikiki and across Waikiki Beach. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you will return to our Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber Resort Ohana – Mahalo Nui Loa!