“|Great holiday at Holiday Inn”

Holiday Inn Resort Waikiki Beachcomber
Ranked #34 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
British Columbia
“|Great holiday at Holiday Inn”
Reviewed February 27, 2012

We had a fabulous 1 week stay at this hotel in early February this year. We were totally happy with the place.

Location: - IF you want to be central , right in the thick of things, this is the place. Right on Kalakaua and a less than 5 minute walk to the beach depending on lights. Several great restaurants either side of the hotel as well as Jimmy Buffets in the hotel which we ate at once - great food and atmospere. International marketplace just a few doors down.

Room: - Average sized hotel room, we really appreciated a large sink and vanity area outside the main bathroom, as we were traveling with our daughter and one person could shower or use the washroom while not tying up the sink area. Large closet as well. No full sized tub but shower worked fine for us and nice rain showerhead.
Double instead queen beds but really comfortable and very soft sheets. Average sized balcony - 6th floor facing opposite diamond head so not much of a view but for coffee in the am and a cheap happy hour before dinner it was fine. Not entirely private though - but i think we only saw neighbours out there twice.

Pool: Small but pleasant - cool enough to be refreshing but not ice cold. Lots of sun and several tables with umbrellas for having a drink and getting out of the sun if need b. A bar opened up onto the pool area - ordered volcano nauchos one day (GREAT) but mostly brought our own drinks - no glass on pool deck though. Also, right next to Jimmy buffets outdoor eating area- i think they serve a buffet breakfast there. One thing we did fine odd , the pool and hot tub closed at 6 pm- not a huge deal but the day we climbed Diamond Head it might have been nice to soak in the hot tub that night.

Service: We were really satisfied with the service at the hotel. After the first night i phoned the front desk and asked for a thinner pillow , and a few more soaps and a few more cups. Within an hour they brought me two pillows to choose from (one was perfect) as well as a few more bars of soap and each day the maid replenished our supplies with extra - they obviously followed up on our request. Maid service was usually late in the day but they did a great job.

Price: More than we usually pay for a hotel - but not really out of line as far as nice Waikiki Hotels. Cost not being a factor we would absolutely stay here again.

I suppose if i really wanted to complain i could find something nitpick to say but overall this place was GREAT! I would have rated it 4.5 but giving it a 5 instead of 4.

Mark

Room Tip: I would avoid any lower floors facing the ocean since Jimmy buffets is below and I would imagine it...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank WelaineS
Dean N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Waikiki Beachcomber, responded to this review, March 9, 2012
Aloha lainey2010 and thank you for your thorough review! Our team works hard to take good care of our many guests and we really appreciate your business. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber Resort in the future! Mahalo, Dean.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (737)
  • Korean first
Arcadia, California
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Good, clean hotel. Nicely decorated. Backside of the hotel is a bit noisy from the AC on the roof of the next building. I stayed on the 4th floor. Good front desk service, bellmen, and parking valets. Small driveway entrance and exit to the parking garage. A bit expensive with the $30 a nite parking. Good location in heart of the Waikiki tourist area. 1 block from the beach.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank photodiver12
Aloha photodiver12 and thank you for your review of our hotel! Your kind comments about our property and staff are much appreciated. Also, thank you for your comment about the noisy AC on the rooftop nearby - we've addressed this and will hopefully have a resolution in the near future. Mahalo, Dean.
Lymington, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2012

There is a lot to say that is positive about this hotel. The room was clean and the maid service excellent, The air-con, hot water and other services worked pefectly and the hotel is in a wonderful location within a short walk of all that Waikiki has to offer.

The negatives are that there seems to be a corporate attitude that means that staff don't go "the extra mile" and see every problem as a profit opportunity. Let me describe my experience:

I booked a king-size bed room and requested "quiet room on high floor preferred". After visiting many hotels in many countries and locations for many years this was the most expensive hotel I have stayed in at average $220 per night including taxes and I expected a reasonably nice room for this price.

When I arrived I was given an extremely small room with a queen-size bed. I immediately returned to reception and asked for the room I had booked... only to be told that the hotel was full and no other rooms were available. I decided there and then to check-out and stay in a different hotel... but when I told them my intention the room I'd booked magically appeared.

The room did have a king-size bed but didn't have a bath (only a shower) and the balcony overlooked the flat roof of the buiding opposite that contained a large number of air-conditioning heat exchangers. This meant that it was impossible to use the balcony due to the roar of the exchangers. The noise didn't bother me at night (and nor did the "street music" from the adjoining International Village) as I'm a vey deep sleeper.

I went to reception the next day and asked if I could have a quiet room, ideally with a bath rather than a shower. They told me that they did have a quiet room with a bath but it would be another $20 a night. This would have made the room average $240 in total (and holiday inn bathtubs are tiny, as I'm six foot I find them very difficult to even have a bath in).

I cut my stay short and checked out early and moved to another hotel. I requested a late check out at 3pm to tie-in with my follow-on check in and.... this was also refused (they did offer me one extra hour which meant that I checked out at 1pm ). I know that the rooms have to be cleaned and changed over but check-in isn't until 4pm and not everyone needs a late check out , so a late check out was totally do-able and I think that a more custome-focused hotel would have tried a little harder to accomodate my request

If this had been a budget price hotel I would have been pleased with the value... but it wasn't. Hotels need to realize that if they charge Rolls Royce fees they need to provide Rolls Royce service as well and this hotel is charging top dollar for a utilitarian product. And that's why I'm only giving it three stars.

I put "Average" for breakfast because the form insisted but the hotel doesn't do breakfasts. Jimmy Buffets is located in the lobby area though and the staff there are excellent and the food superb.

Room Tip: Throw lots of money at them and I'm sure they'll give you a good room.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank JonathanHoag
Aloha WilburFlywheel and thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay! Regarding the corporate attitude you describe, this is not acceptable and has been addressed. Yes, sometimes especially during the very busy peak season, it's difficult to grant special requests, but it is not a situation of the guest having to pay more money. I realize your home is in the UK, but if your travel plans bring you to Honolulu again, please contact my office and I will make sure your special requests are given every consideration. Mahalo, Dean.
Lindale, Texas
Reviewed February 23, 2012

Great location for shopping if you are into that. The other amenities were lacking in my opinion. There are three washer available to the guests and only one worked. Jimmy Buffet's was tired and over priced with food that was not worth writing about. There is no shuttle from the airport. Be prepared to pay $40 one way for a lift. As a frequent traveler and a very loyal Holiday Inn Family customer, I found this hotel to be sub-par for it's location. Housekeeping was good and the rooms were clean. The beach is within walking distance, but very over crowded. If you are thinking of coming to Hawaii I would go to Maui instead.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Susan R
Miami, Florida
Reviewed February 23, 2012

Two nights here after two nights at the Sheraton was really a treat. One block away from the beach and surrounded by plenty of upscale restaurants on the front/beach side as well as lots of local cheaper options to the rear. Hotel is older, but they all are in Waikiki, so a lot of the renovations aren't up to 2012 standards (ie elevators). Has a nice little pool area on the 4th floor to look down at the action on Kalakua Ave.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank nbmiami
Madeira Beach, Florida
Reviewed February 23, 2012

Close to the beaches, dynamite shopping and wonderful restaurants. My suggestion is to reserve a room in the '10' tier, ie 610 - 710 - and so forth. It has a double size lanai on the Kalakaua Street side, overlooking the rather small pool and deck serviced by Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville Restaurant.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dimitri_fl
Reviewed February 20, 2012

A very good hotel overall. The beds are only doubles and the view is decent. The hotel is very clean and is typical of the Holiday Inn chain. The restaurant (Jimmy Buffet Margeritaville) offers discounts for hotel residents and offers a good value buffet breakfast. The pool is not heated. Although it is set back from Waikiki beach itself, the beach is relatively accessible. Overall s very good hotel and you will earn Priority Club points.

• Stayed February 2012