4,291 results
All reviews the mai tai bar the pink palace mailani tower banana bread surf lanai azure restaurant pink lady historic section sheraton pool waikiki beach garden view beach boys historic rooms original building iconic hotel beach chairs beach staff
Reviewed October 13, 2010

I have to say that I did not pay for my stay at the Royal Hawaiian so I can't make a judgement on whether it is worth the price. I was here for a conference and our group was originally supposed to stay at the Sheraton next door. But we were upgraded to the Royal Hawaiian and I couldn't have been happier! I don't know what the actual hotel rooms are like at the Sheraton, and the Sheraton hotel common areas are certainly nice.. But it just doesn't compare to the beautiful grounds on the Royal Hawaiian with its open style gigantic lobby/porch areas that spill into either the gardens or the great big blue ocean. It was like an enchanted paradise. The room my colleague and I stayed in was just a standard two queen beds room with a view of the courtyard and some view of waikiki. Bathroom was a tad small but the room was beautifully appointed. Loved the wallpaper! The staff was beyond friendly. I was given the flower lei upon arrival and then the next night when I asked if I could also have the kukui nut lei, they were more than happy to give me one of those too! Wish I could remember the name of the bartender at the mai tai bar on the beach. He was great, very attentive and made the best mai tais!
Oh and we had no problem whatsoever getting a pool side or beach side chair to sit on as another reviewer here mentioned (??)
Will definitely come back for a romantic getaway and hopefully try to get an actual oceanfront room this time.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
6  Thank oceansociety
RHCoordinator, Sales/On-line Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Hawaiian, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2010

Mahalo Oceansociety, we are so happy that you were able to spend your time with us at The Royal Hawaiian, A Luxury Collection Resort too, and thank you for noticing our manicured grounds, upgraded rooms and pink wallpaper!
I am so pleased that you had such an enjoyable time and mahalo for the lovely compliments on our staff and bartenders - I will be sharing your kind words with them this morning and it will put a sparkle in their eyes all weekend - I am so grateful for the opportunity to show them they how valued they are.
Thank you also for sharing your ease at finding pool and beach seating; it is not very common that our guests cannot find seating and I so appreciate your support on that.
We hope to welcome you back to our "enchanted paradise" very soon and will have two leis waiting for you! Aloha, The Royal Hawaiian Team

Reviewed October 13, 2010

I loved the Royal Hawaiian. The service was amazing, and the location was great. Close to everything and has a shopping center with plenty of shops, so you don't have to go out of your way for anything. The beach area is amazing and is on the best stretch of Waikiki Beach. The only downside is the price of the food is ridiculous, but there are plenty of other restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank prg210

Wow Prg210, we just LOVE your photograph! You capture the Spanish-Moorish architecture and the historical essence of our resort so beautifully. Hope to see more!
Thank you for sharing your time with us, I am so pleased that you enjoyed our central, oceanfront location, private beach area and spirited service. I will be sure to pass your compliments on to all our staff, Mahalo!

Reviewed October 12, 2010

I had a boss who traveled to Honolulu year after year. He would return with raves about all he saw and did and of course spoke non-stop about the Royal Hawaiian Hotel where he stayed time after time. He would go on and on about the rich history of the place, the pink color, the super deluxe accomodations, the view, the beach, the food....
So my husband and I take a once in a lifetime trip to Hawaii for our anniversary and I say, "honey, can we, just for one night, 'cause I know it is expensive, stay at the Royal Hawaiian - just to see what it is like, just to say we did..." and he said, " yes". Well let me tell you my ex-boss was on the money. We were greeted with a lei, refreshments, a cool towel, excellent, classy service, and even though we were hours too early for official check- in, they let us have our room. Once in, it was spacious, clean, had an incredible view, and a small loaf of banana bread waiting for us. The whole hotel and grounds were spotless, beautifully appointed, serene, romantic and lovely. It is pricey but in my opinion, worth every penny. We ate in the hotel for breakfast and dinner and the mai tais were very strong, the food fantastic, the wait service the best I ever had. The beach is beautiful and clean, and guests get complimentary umbrellas and loungers. My only regret is that we did not spend all of our nights here. If we ever go back, we will be like my ex-boss and stay there again, and again and again. Worth the splurge!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Catfran
RHCoordinator, Sales/On-line Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Hawaiian, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2010

Catfran, Mahalo for taking the time to write about your stay with us at The Royal Hawaiian, A Luxury Collection Resort.
What excellent taste your boss has!! We are thankful for his recommendation and we are thrilled that our Resort lived up to your expectations.
Thank you for noticing all the little details we provide to make the stay extra special and I am so pleased that you felt so welcomed and cared for by our staff and servers. I pass on all feedback to them and they will be delighted and so grateful to you. I will also be sure to tell our exceptional housekeeping team who keep our "Pink Palace" looking so beautiful, just how much you enjoyed our immaculately kept Resort. Mahalo.
We regret that you were not able to stay with us longer as well and we hope to celebrate your next Anniversary with you! Aloha!

Reviewed October 12, 2010

I expected much from the Royal Hawaiian based upon it's price-point, history and recent renovation. Although I found it to be a nice place, it seems to rest on it's laurels. The location IS amazing; steps to the sand under pink umbrellas. However, children prefer the shared (with the Sheraton Waikiki) pool that us equipped with a water slide. The hotel's private pool is quiet, but small. The rooms are old fashioned, but I guess that's the charm. The bathroom was cramped and not as well-appointed a one might hope of a hotel of this caliber. Housekeeping generally kept the room tidy. The valet service is friendly, efficient and redeemed my opinion of the service at this hotel. This hotel is best suited to those who like to be left alone, as opposed to those who like to be catered to.

• Stayed: August 2010

Aloha Haaliki and thank you so much for sharing your stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you so enjoyed our prime location and our resort-style pool. The water slide is great isn't it!
The charm is definitely in the enchanting history of the Resort and we do all we can to uphold our heritage. We are, however, in the process of upgrading our Tower Section to merge the classic luxury with contemporary comfort.
Mahalo for your kind remarks on our valet staff, I will share your compliments with them and they will be so grateful to you for noticing their aloha spirit. Warm Regards, The Royal Hawaiian Team.

Reviewed October 12, 2010

This was a very Romantic hotel with very spacious rooms. The beach is amazing and the hotel was in perfectly located on Waikiki beach. We enjoyed walking the beach and stopping at several restaurants on the beach. The hallways of the hotel had many photos of the history of the hotel.

There were a few downsides:
The pool is ridiculous. It is so small that at first I thought it was the kiddie pool. However, we didn't go to Hawaii to relax by the pool, we are beach lovers and the beach made up for the lacking pool.

Upon arrival, my husband requested a bottle of champaign to be delivered to our room as we were celebrating our 10 year anniversary. The champaign was never delivered. We asked about it the next day, they said they would send one up and put it in our refrigerator, since we were heading out for the day. When we returned that evening, we found a warm bottle sitting on the desk.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel. Don't go for the pool scene, because there is none, but watching the surfers on Waikiki beach is worth it!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
RHCoordinator, Sales/On-line Marketing Manager at The Royal Hawaiian, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2010

Aloha WinterEscapeTime! Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. We are so happy to hear that you loved our location, our spacious rooms and private beach area (for perfect viewing of the summer time Waikiki surf!).
Our romantic pool below the Tower Wing is an intimate size, perfect for couples and rest and rejuvenation, but we hope you tried out our much larger resort-style pool, alongside the Monarch Room, which we share with the Sheraton.
I am sincerely sorry for the miscommunication of our staff with your champagne request and we hope to make that up to you on your next visit.
Thank you for noticing our classic old photography dating back to before our initial opening in 1927; we so enjoy the historic ambience they bring and hold the memories proudly in our Resort.
Until next time, Mahalo Nui Loa